Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Castle on i13 PvP Power Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Morganni Wrote:
Quote:Which is great if you're playing a melee character tryin' to attack someone.
What's kind of funny is that people still can't agree on whether or not this change will actually do that. 

I misspoke. What I meant was, the intent behind that suppression change is to prevent jousting and the sort of general keep-away game that makes melee suffer in PvP. Combined with the range increase for melee attacks, it's evident that they're trying to make it so a melee character has a decent change of chasing down a runner trying to stay at range.
Whether or not this actually works is a different story, particularly because - if you've seen Syndesis or Cyberman 8 during our arena nights...well, it's evident that the both of us are scrappers who rely on sticking on you with full-throttle super speed. There's others even within our SG alone that play speed meleers like that, but myself and Atlantea are the ones I can think of offhand. So high speed movement is essential to our melee PvP - it's what lets us catch people. And for that matter, control range and line-of-sight with our movement.
-- Acyl
Quote:increased melee range and the taunt thing.

I do like how what may prove out to be the most signifigant tank-related gameplay change since they nerfed the Aggro Limit gets two words ; )

I think the -range associated with Taunt will prove out to be quite notable!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Hey, I used to be a journalist. We're allowed to be sloppy and flippant with language. =D

The range debuff isn't just significant for tanks, mind you. Certainly it affects tanks most of all - your ability to cluster enemies around you just got a
million times better, which is significant for all the powersets that have some sort of AoE buff/debuff...Inv, Willpower, Ice, and Dark, in particular. Fire
benefits from clustering as well, I suppose, for damage terms. And certainly your AoE-shooting teammates aren't gonna complain.

But, well - many brutes take taunt already, for fury reasons. Scrappers have traditionally skipped Confront, however. This new range debuff is actually a
reason for scrappers to take Confront in PvE now.

And in PvP, taunt just became a whole lot more nasty. Previously it was only of use in team situations - now taunt's a useful 1v1 duel tool, particularly
versus ranged opponents...another way in which they're buffing melee in PvP. That's what I was getting at in my last post.
-- Acyl
I'd never even thought about the PvP aspect of taunt..

i13 just looks better and better!
You know, I've done PvP exactly once, with Evangelia, back about two years ago. I hated it and haven't bothered with it since. As a result, I'm at a loss when it comes to stuff like this, where the powers apparently change. And I'm confused about how some of them even function to begin with -- just what does Taunt do in a PVP situation?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
The great thing about PvP is that it's optional - and with Nukes and Shivans being purchaseable in i13, completely optional.

Specifically as to Taunt, in PvP it causes your target to be locked onto the taunter.

the new Taunt changes will cause it to apply a -range debuff onto a taunted enemy (causes their ranged attacks to have less range).

This is paradigm changing.
How Taunt Works:

In PvE (There is a much better explanation on the CoH Forums somewhere...) : When you taunt a mob, the target and any in a small area around him are auto-hit and all damage you do to them causes monumentally more aggro than a non-taunted mob. (Around a thousand-fold) The result is it becomes rather simplistic, but not unfailing for the Taunter to hold Aggro.

In PvP: When you taunt another player in PvP, you make a To-Hit check on said player, and if successful, the opposing player can only target you with attacks. In PvP the Taunt duration is much less, around the order of 5-10 seconds as opposed to the 40-45 seconds on PvE.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Render

Badb lives with super speed on. Every time suppression kicks in, it bugs me a little. I sometimes find myself mashing the keys harder, or leaning forward in my
chair, straining against the bonds of slowness. I wish it would turn on and off more smoothly, too. Sometimes, the speed kicks in before I expect it and I
'pop the clutch' and find myself overshooting my target, right into another mob. I took flight as my last power, just because I was sick of the
vertical challenges. But for all its problems, I almost never turn the speed off. It's just too much fun. So the idea of more suppression concerns me a
bit, but the powers that be seem to listen to the players and be more concerned with making them happy than they once were. I'm not going to worry too much
yet.

(Concept-wise, Badb can't run as fast as Cyberman or Syndesis. Not even close. She'd just forget about the super speed limit anyway if she could. Her
speed is the supernatural ability to move, and even fight, at what J. Michael Straczynski calls 'the speed of plot.' She's as fast as the
Morrigan's little sister needs her to be, and no faster. Good for showing up (or disappearing) at the dramatic moment, nick-of-time rescues, and jumping
out to go 'BOO!'. And fighting *real* speedsters.)
Pages: 1 2