Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: ToTL: Sp33d
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Copied from the Snippets thread - this is too big to be a snippet.

The paperwork landed on Nene's desk with a thwack, and she looked up to see the normally stoic face of HE-AT, her cybernetic boss, creased into a frown.
The abnormal sight raise Nene's eyebrows, and she quickly scanned the file in front of her.

"Concerned Statement: This Freakshow elite, 'Sp33d Fr3@k', has caused sufficient damage that PPD management has authorized excessive force in
his apprehension."

Nene cranked her eyebrow even further, and looked up at HE-AT. "Why's that such a big problem, H-E? We've had two of those orders come in this
week alone.."

HE-AT maintained her concerned expression, and mutely pointed at a line on the file in Nene's hands. Nene followed her prompt, and her eyes widened at
the amount of zeros in the 'damage caused' category. "I.. I think I see the problem now."

"Statement: Even with medical assistance, I do not believe detective McNichol can accomplish the apprehension of this fugitive."

Nene nodded, her brow furrowed in thought. Her face smoothed, and she gestured towards the phone. "Then I think we need some backup."

-----------------------

Terrence Knight, Scourge of Cimerora, General (Commanding) of the Lady Grey Task Force, Lead Tank to The Legendary, Heralded as the Angry Death by the
Banished Pantheon, spoken of in hushed tones by the Freakshow, rolled over, flailing his arms in the air as the blankets bound his legs to Lisa's,
causing his momentum to twist him off the mattress. As his face sailed towards the floor, Terrence managed to grab his cellphone, bringing it with him on his
short downward trip.

"Hihi, Terrence-chan! I hope I didn't wake you, but I need some help!" Chirped the bright voice of Nene Romanova. Terrence shifted the phone
slightly and tried to focus his thoughts.

"Whrt hnrgle nrrd?" he managed.

"Uhm.. I've got a little Freakshow problem, and this time, when I say 'excessive force' is authorized, I mean it.. And I've got a plan
that shouldn't destroy _too_ much of Skyway.. "

Terrence blinked. If the little redhead was talking that casually about destroying sections of Skyway, this was likely to turn out to be more interesting
than another afternoon spent on the Parapets of Rommy's stolen castle...

-----------------------

"No, d00d, you don't seem to understand what I'm saying here - if you don't come up with those leg upgrades, you'll never have to worry
about your inventory again!" Sp33d Fr3@k slammed the phone down hard enough to shatter the glass desk he was sitting at, which exploded into shards and
splinters. His raucous laughter stopped short as a quiet chirp came out of his pocket, and he slipped a compact radio into his hand, turning it up and
listening intently. "So the heroes think they can send a pathetic team of low speed losers to deal with the Sp33d Fr3@k, that's awesome!" The
radio went back in a pocket, and the Freakshow speedster shot out of his ersatz office, blasting through the abandoned industrial building.

-----------------------

Amberlee floated in the zero-g meditation chamber, folded into a full lotus, her wings moving just enough to caress the air. The soft sound of her breathing
was the only sound audible in the heavily shielded chamber, deep in the protected core of the Legendary base. Far away, under one of the countless overpasses
in Skyway City, Lord Admiral Emet glared down at the stocky figure of Mag Flashlight, who was watching Terrence. Terrence, for his part, was happily pounding
Lost, averaging 2-3 of the massive mutants downed with any given blow.

"I hate the wait." Emet grumbled, in a voice like a concrete truck inside another, larger, concrete truck. "How can we even be sure the little
jerkoff is gonna run through here?"

Mag looked away from Terrence's joyful mayhem, craning his neck to look up at Emet's towering height. "We can't be certain, but Nene says he
should, and HE-AT backs her up. Leon's got a PPD response force in the wings to be rapid deployed most anywhere, and besides.. we're just that good.
It'll be fine." Emet shrugged it's massive shoulders, then turned away from Mag to watch Terrence, who was almost out of Lost.

As the last of the mutant homeless slipped through the Medicomm network towards the Zig, Terrence turned and strode towards the other two waiting tanks. Just
shy of the pair, he stopped momentarily, and a blur flashed in front of him, resolving into Cyberman 8 and SSC Thrust, both rotating around a lamp post to
shed excess momentum.

"We're ready." Cyberman stated, and Thrust nodded beside him. Mag gave them a thumbs up, and the two speedsters shot off into the labyrinthine
depths of Skyway City. Terrence hopped up to sit on the concrete wall that Emet was leaning on, and angled his gaze at Mag.

"They're ready. We're ready. Anyone heard from the Inside Team?"

"Not yet. I'll check." Mag replied, and keyed open the Coalition radio channel. "Quicksilver, Mister Catorce, are you folks ready?" A
moment passed, and then a voice crackled back over the radio link.

"Most assuredly so. This bright-eyed young lady and myself are ready to do our part to bring holy Justice to this demented Freakshow!"

"Alright, then, we're just waiting for Nene's call."

-----------------------

The final PPD Fast Response unit signed into the commnet as ready, and Nene Romanova flipped over to the second channel on her radio control.
"Legendary, this is Net. Spectrum is Green. Repeat, Spectrum is Green." Nene released the transmit button, and sat back to watch the situation
unfold.

The situation opened with Numero Catorce, who punched the warehouse door clean off it's hinges, sending it tumbling into the depths of the building.
"Come out, you snivelling curs, and face the Kick of Justice, if you dare!" Numero bellowed, and charged into the darkness. Quicksilver Nano
giggled and powered up, her incandescent glow backlighting Numero as she charged after him. An outside observer would have heard screams and electric blasts
echoing out of the warehouse doors, as the pair chewed their way through the Freakshow.

Quicksilver laughed outloud as she punched a Freakshow, flipping it over the top of a crate, and Numero kicked it back towards her. The Stunner Captain
crumpled to the floor, senseless, and the lambent figure slapped a tag on him. As he vanished, Quicksilver peeked her head around the crate. Finding Numero
in the act of tagging his Freak, she leaned up against the box and waited.

"I think that's the last of them before the final door, Mr. Catorce." She said, curtsying.

Numero regarded her gravely, and bowed. "It is an honor to work with you, Miss Nano, I consider you a friend. You, you call me Numero."

Quicksilver giggled and curtsied again, and the two of them charged off towards the final door. As it rolled up, Quicksilver dodged backwards, knocking
Numero to the ground as a crackling blur streaked across the opening, bouncing off the doorframe to resolve itself into a Freakshow. His tall, lanky form
stretched even further by the cybernetic legs crackling with energy. Numero sprang to his feet with a roar, and lunged forward with a punch. The Freak
blurred out of the way, stopping at the far side of the doorframe, leaning casually against it.

"You punkz are gonna have to work a lot harder than that to lay hands on TEH SP33D FR3@K!!1" he declared, posing. As he beat his fist against his
chest in manly rage, Quicksilver Nano came up from behind him, and favored him with a solid kick between his cybernetic legs. As he crumpled to the floor,
crying out in agony, Numero met him with a solid punch to the gut, which bounced him back into the wall. Sp33d managed to catch himself against the wall, and
pushed off, blurring into the corridors. "Nice try, lo5erz!" echoed from his retreating form. Numero grinned at the departing figure, and started
after him at a steady, ground-eating lope, Quicksilver's luminous form close behind.

-----------------------

Emet closed its fist again, powdered conrete leaking out from between its fingers. Turning to Mag again, Emet shook its head.

"This is taking too long, they should have herded him out by now." Emet intoned. Mag shrugged.

"Hey, all I'm here to do is slow down some hyper jackass, I don't have anything to do with the plan, and anywa-"

Mag's complaints were cut off by the Coalition channel opening up. "This is Catorce. Sp33d Fr3@k is rabbiting. He is headed for front door.
Out."

"Cyberman here, vectoring to intercept. Out."

"SSC Thrust acknowledges. Incoming. Out."

Mag stared up at Emet, one eyebrow lifted as he powered on his armor. Emet finally shrugged, and turned away to poke Terrence with one stone finger.

Terrence jerked upright, grabbing Emet's finger with his left hand and levering himself across it to smash a wild haymaker into Emet's skull, burying
his fist over an inch deep into the rocky surface. Emet calmly reached up with its other hand, peeling Terrence's clenched fist from around its finger,
and patted him on the side of the face. "Wake up, grumpy pants." Emet pronounced, before pulling Terrence's fist out of its skull and brushing
the chunks of rock off of it. "Catorce and Quicksilver flushed the dude out of his hole, Cyber and Thrust are setting him up." Emet poked at the
rapidly filling depression in the side of its head. "Geez, remind me to wake you up with a stick next time."

Mag shook his head as Terrence rubbed his eyes. Emet disappeared in a flash of portal energy, and Terrence vaulted off the wall, shaking his coat into place.

"We ready?" Terrence asked, cracking the stiffness out of his bones joint by joint.

"Yup." Mag replied, slouching sideways and eyeballing sightlines. "Right about.. here, I think." Terrence slowly looked over the road and
pathway they stood on, paying close attention to sight lines and curbs.

"I do think you're right. You want the first hit?"

"Sure. You'll get the last?"

"Better believe it, old man." Terrence said with a chuckle. Mag hunkered down and brought up the map on his HUD.

-----------------------

Cyberman 8 felt joy pulsing out of his metal heart as he broke the sound barrier and kept accelerating, streaking across Skyway City at his rarely used top
speed. Slowly drawing away from SSC Thrust, he curved out to the left, dropping a waypoint for her off to the right. She followed it, and Cyberman pushed
harder, drawing a line of fire across Skyway City. Numero Catorce's icon on his HUD pulsed, and Cyberman spared a moment's worth of attention to open
the channel.

?

5 seconds, Cyberman.

K

Cyberman sent the info on to Thrust, and the two reduced speed dramatically. They were still travelling well in excess of Mach, however, when Sp33d popped
out of the ruined warehouse door. Cyberman hit him high, knocking him off his feet as he blasted by, and Thrust hit him low, bouncing him face first into the
wall of the building he had just ran out of. Sp33d recovered, and streaked off into the deepening twilight gloom. Cyberman felt a grin splitting his face as
he accelerated again, caroming off a wall, and began the first run in this high speed game of cat and mouse.

-----------------------

Mag shuffled his feet as he watched the HUD, digging in and fine tuning his position. Cyberman and Thrust were operating at full unlimited speed tonight,
thanks to PPD's Excessive Force authorization. They drew lines across the map like strategic plots, blasting back and forth across Sp33d's path,
herding him towards the one place he shouldn't go. Mag squatted deeper as Sp33d made the final turn, and flew down the road towards him. Mag surged to
his full height with a roar, sinking one armor clad fist into sp33d's stomach. The massive momentum of the Freakshow speedster shoved them both backwards
a full ten feet, Mag's boots scraping sparks off the pavement. Terrence came out of nowhere in the gathering gloom, roaring his rage as he blasted the
Freak into the air with a massive uppercut. Sp33d was on a path to make an easy twenty feet of vertical distance, when a flash of portal energy and a stone
foot, slamming down onto his chest, changed his trajectory for the worse.

As he hit the ground and bounced, once, Sp33d was met by Cyberman and Thrust, coming in reversed this time, with Cyberman knocking the already-senseless
Freak asprawl, and Thrust dropping in with an overhead strike that crushed him into the asphalt. Emet touched down with surprising grace, landing from a
teleport, between Terrence and Mag, who were bookended by Thrust and Cyberman in a semicircle around the downed Freak. Sparks dribbling from his tattered
legs and overloaded cybernetics, Sp33d pushed himself to his knees, and looked up into the merciless masked face of the just-arrived Numero Catorce. The
runic patterns on his mask and tattoos on his chest seeming to crawl in the flickering light given him by Quicksilver Nano, Catorce looked down on the
crippled Freakshow and, shaking his head, smashed him into the pavement.

Quicksilver Nano slipped around the luchador, and planted one armored boot in the small of Sp33d's back. As the Freak tpushed himself up yet again, she
pushed him back down, and slapped a transit tag on him. With a silent sigh, Sp33d Fr3@k slipped into the medicomm network, bound for the Zig.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies