Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Tales of the Legendary: A Mac Hine Moment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

His Lovely Wife

For those not int he know, Marianne Mac Hine was the first toon I built when I got my COH account in April of 2006. She's an axe/invulnerable tanker. She
finally amde it to 50! WHOO! Thank you everyone who helped her get there. Here's the story:

She had been in the middle of a mission in Cimerora, bashing Romans and saving Sybils when the call had come over the music on her MP3 player. She always
found that dance music when fighting was a great workout, something about the number of beats per minute. The call had interrupted North Starz Remix of
Moonlight Shadows, but that was ok, she could rewind. "Marianne here."

"Congratulations Marianne Mac Hine - " oh great, a telemarketer - "you have achieved your level 50 Security clearance." Slam, Gash,
Swoop. "Ms. Mac Hine?" The voice sounded tentative.

"Fighting, call me back later." She hung up and rewinded.

Marianne stood quietly and stoically along with a long line of other who had also achieved their Hero of the City award and were waiting for the
presentation ceremony by Statesman. She looked out t the sea of faces in front of her.

There were Bella and Morgan, Min and Wide, Felspar and Avon Ti, Meredith, Marcus and Space, and Margaret, her family, all centered in one spot; members of
The Legendary, right next to them - Vyperpunk, Enynn, Syndesis, Leafstyle and with them Zoe Dexter who had been in the mission with them when The Call had
come; and there, in the shadows, two figures that she could not see clearly. One she could guess was Mace. The other, she wondered if it was the Fortunata
Black who had been in with them on the fateful mission.

Fateful - snort. The sybils were saying they had known all along that the group was on it's way. Of course, the Romans hadn't been listening. Did
they ever?

She was able to smile and say a few inane words to Statesman when he shook her hand and pinned her medal onto her sash at her shoulder, but her eyes never
left the crowd. He wasn't there. She didn't hear anything that Statesman said after all the medals had been handed out, but it was probably a very
similar speech to the one she heard when Min and Morgan had been in this position. Marianne wondered if Statesman ever got tired of doing this. She guessed
it could have been a lot worse. She turned again to scan the crowd.

He wasn't here. There was no familiar body type, or hand gesture, no familiar tilt of the head, no familiar walk. Her heart sank a little bit. She
hadn't come right out and invited him, perhaps she should have. She held back a sigh as she followed the oher heroes off the stage. As they were milling
around the bottom of the steps she thought she heard one of them say "I'm going to DisneyWorld!", but she wasn't sure. Her? She'd go
home and sleep. Even the party in Pocket D didn't sound all that fun right now.

She accepted the cheering congratulations from her friends and said she'd meet them at the party. She waited until most of them had turned away from
her before she started heading for home. She had just walked off the City Hall grounds when she heard it. A familiar footfall, a familiar voice.
"Marianne?"
Nicely atmospheric. And grats on the 50.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.