Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Patent Troll Sues NCSoft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
An outfit claiming ownership of a patent that pretty much covers the entire interface of practically every virtual world out there fired its opening salvo at
City of Heroes. Register article here.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I think they just have a bone to pick with NCSoft. Given their patent, they could choose to sue any of the MMOs online and if they were looking to get a fat
wallet, certainly they could have aimed towards EverQuest or WoW or such.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Of all the stupid, incompitent, and down right WTF-ish stuff to come to the wonderful world of lawsuits. Lets just hope Worlds.com gets punk'd like TK
punks Scrappy with a run by haymaker.
"There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons."
-Chief Engineer Boris Kraus of Nuln
I know little or nothing about patent law, but it seems like they don't have a leg to stand on legally. With the patent not being awarded until after CoH
came out, and so many other MMOs that are, at least, superficially similar to the idea described in its patent that came out before the application was even
submitted to the Patent Office, I can't see the courts finding in Worlds.com's favor at all.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
NCSoft is one of the smaller companies. The patent troll is likely hoping to set a precedent before going after Sony, Blizzard and Linden.

WengFook

Quote: Matrix Dragon wrote:

NCSoft is one of the smaller companies. The patent troll is likely hoping to set a precedent before going after Sony, Blizzard and Linden.
Yes I think you've got the right of it Sky Smile Also I think any lawsuit they start with the bigger names will undoubtedly be long and drawn out
till the cows come home, and in the short term less profitable for them.

1) The technology was in the public marketplace LONG before this patent was even filed (2000) let alone granted (2007).

2) Do you really think Blizzard/Sony/etc are going to let NCSoft lose this one?
I lol at Worlds.com for this.

alaskanime

Blizzard would have eaten these guys ALIVE. Could you imagine going toe to toe with Blizzard's legal team? Their entrails would be tinsel on their
Christmas tree....
Quote: alaskanime wrote:

Blizzard would have eaten these guys ALIVE. Could you imagine going toe to toe with Blizzard's legal team? Their entrails would be tinsel on their
Christmas tree....
I'd buy tickets to see this. Pay per view! Sunday, sunday, Sunday! Blizzard Eat Lawsuit! It'd be like Gen vs Void. EVISCERATIONATED!
Quote: alaskanime wrote:

Christmas tree....
[Image: Blizzardlegal.jpg]
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
O_O
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
....It all makes sense now.

The Lawyers are INFESTED TERRANS!!
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
For the Overmind!

Sacrifice meeee!
"There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons."
-Chief Engineer Boris Kraus of Nuln
Quote: Matrix Dragon wrote:

http://www.ubersoft.net/f.../comics/hd/hd20090101.png
Bwahahhahah! WIN!
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/01/02/

--Sam

"...Then he threw a chimney at us!"