Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: my asorted art
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

dark seraph

decided to show off some of my CoH art

[Image: Gir001.jpg][Image: Broken001.jpg]

[Image: CoH001.jpg]

scans arn't the best unfortunatly, hope you enjoy

your style is raw and untrained, you must train _haaader_.

my favorite bit is the left-middle Gir, where she's eating. really captures 'her'.

I gotta admit, I like your silly stuff more than your serious stuff.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Rather lovely. You could probably do great stuff with a bit more practice and whatever it is you artsy type use for digital images these days.

..Only quip I have, top and center with the forge: Where's Enynn?
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
mmmm Zim.

dark seraph

Quote: Ankhani wrote:

Rather lovely. You could probably do great stuff with a bit more practice and whatever it is you artsy type use for digital images these days.

..Only quip I have, top and center with the forge: Where's Enynn?

you can't see it well, but she lounging in it like a spa Tongue

Ahh. I thought that was her hair hanging down. Very clever. ^_^
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
I like the way your draw faces. I mean it - I'm not just saying that. You have a very good eye for the framing of faces - with the hair and all, I mean - and the proportions of said faces. The eyes are well-shaped, particularly the faces in the lower left-hand corner - the...is that Gir? The one with the unbuttoned shirt, anyway, and the single head drawing directly below that.
The faces are pretty much there already, in terms of lineart. The hair could use a bit of work, tho - it's pretty good on a couple of those drawings, but on some it looks a bit stiff and two-dimensional. I'd suggest trying to block out the shapes of hair a little, to get an eye for the flow.
Hn...it's hard to describe, but what I do, sometimes, is... well, anime-style, and indeed in most of the CoH hairstyles, you don't really see many slender individual strands of hair. You get, essentially, large pointy sticks of hair. This is true. However, they still do layer over each other and flow - what I sometimes do is draw each major block individually, then rub out the boundary lines on the final version - it's only to get an overall shape for the hairstyle that looks more solid and natural. Far as 'natural' can be applied to anime art, anyway.
EDIT: this pic and this other one are images where I started out by blocking out the hair strands as individual pieces, but ended up keeping at least some of the boundary lines in the final version because I felt it worked. Typically I don't do that; I erase most of the lines on the final piece, just leaving the overall hair shape, but I don't have a WIP image to show for that. I find it helps define the overall hair form, but your milage may vary.
Do you do other angles besides the front-on shot for heads and faces? Nothing wrong with that, honestly. But it does spring to mind since I don't see much variation on that there. Granted, that's always something that kicks me in the ass myself, still. How are you with male faces and hairstyles, also? As I said earlier, your proportions and aesthetics are pretty damn good for the female figures, but I do wonder...
Anyway, you're right, tho, they are poor scans. More's the pity. The quality of the scans...what's the limiting factor, in getting this stuff online? What are you using for the scanner? Or paper size and equipment, for that matter? I take it you're trying to punch pure pencils through on a pretty low-grade scanner at low resolution, which... ain't gonna turn out well, so I'm guessing that there's a fair bit of your work that's being lost in transition.
Any chance of scanning at higher DPI? I take it the original drawings ain't that large to begin with, or that detail heavy, but I'd also presume they ain't that small or messed up at the edges, like the first two black-white ones. Did you pump up the contrast/brightness to try and clean up the lines? 'cause I'm guessing that's what you did, but it probably makes the final product look a lot worse than it should either.
...failing clean scans, have you experimented with inking techniques? It's not a perfect solution, but many scanners really do hate straight pencils, particularly subtle shades. 
EDIT 2: just to be clear here, I think you're pretty good, I'm just trying to provide constructive feedback, rather than saying stuff like GIRL IN UNBUTTONED SHIRT MADE ME LOL. Which it did. But that's not the point. =D
Honestly, your face and basic figure work is very good already. and hair's pretty close. I think your main remaining challenges are hands and feet...which are harder areas to nail (curse you fingers and toes >_< CURSE YOU CURSE YOU). I try blocking them out with basic shapes as well, most of the time.
Which is another question I have, really - are you drawing lineart straight off, or do you begin by, say, drawing stick figure framework and filling in details? 
-- Acyl

dark seraph

Quote: Acyl wrote:

I like the way your draw faces. I mean it - I'm not just saying that. You have a very good eye for the framing of faces - with the hair and all, I mean -
and the proportions of said faces. The eyes are well-shaped, particularly the faces in the lower left-hand corner - the...is that Gir? The one with the
unbuttoned shirt, anyway, and the single head drawing directly below that.

yes that is Gir, the bottem one is Red Gir

and as for your question on line art, i draw a rough manikin and work from their up

GIR Sabre must bemoan the fact that the human jaw doesn't unhinge, thereby preventing her from eating more than one taco at a time.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

dark seraph

true, as a matter of fact, theres a lot of stuff about the human body sah hates, but thats a story for another day

dark seraph

more picts, hope you like (scaner started to work propaly for once)

[Image: CoH006.jpg]

[Image: CoH007.jpg]

[Image: DSandGir.jpg][Image: CoH005.jpg]

I _Like_ the Hero Sandwich trio pic, that's cute as hell

dark seraph

pity i messed up the hair on one of them

Quote: dark seraph wrote:

more picts, hope you like (scaner started to work propaly for once)

[Image: CoH006.jpg]

I'm begging you polish up the hero sammich one since Wire seems to think I can, despite telling him I'm not that kinda artist.

dark seraph

*opens Photoshop* as you wish

Vype might not be that kinda artist, but I am ... I really really like these new scans. Mind if I take a crack at inking one?
-- Acyl

dark seraph

yes!

dark seraph

[Image: CoH008.jpg]

by, and i still can belive this, populer demand, hero Samwich Tongue

still needs some work, but that can come later

[Image: dsgirWIP.jpg]
Inking work.
As the title indicates, work in progress. I sorta told myself I'd stop after an hour no matter where I was... and yeah, that's about as far as I got. The faces and hair are reasonably complete, but a lot of the other black lines are just roughs, they need another couple passes to nail down. I expect to spend considerably more time getting the hands/feet right, though. Probably will redraw the sofa a little as well. You can sorta see I've been hacking at the armrest there. I suspect pulling the curve out towards the left and making it more rounded might do the trick.
I'll strip out DS' original pencil lineart layer when I'm done...maybe over the weekend, I dunno. But I've left it here so you can see what it is I'm doing.
I use a white background layer, put the lineart on top of that...adjust colours to blue and turn down opacity. I ink over it (in pure black, antialiased brush) on a separate layer. So long as the ink layer remains on top, it makes it easy to add colour beneath. Once the flats are down, I usually add shades and highlights over the flats in individual layers - and can hover the pencils over that as a shading guideline if necessary.
-- Acyl

dark seraph

...... *jaw hits the floor*

words fail me for how awesoom this it Acyl, thanks

dark seraph

quick pic after talking to V about Sachie

[Image: Sachi.jpg]

enjoy

dark seraph

[Image: Oni.jpg]

what i recon lady Nogi's pet oni looks like

BIG SCARY DEMON

flouncy white skirt.

dark seraph

yes, yes, feed my ego Tongue

your ego put an elegant floor-length ballroom gown on a Force of Evil.
Pages: 1 2 3 4