Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Eleventh Hour: Family Business
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A note before I begin. I'm notoriously bad at completing stories I start on these forums. At the time of writing, I have two incomplete pieces that have
been posted here. One is essentially abandoned, since I no longer play the guy. It might be rewritten to feature a different character, however, given that the
plot of said story was reasonably independent of its star. The other...well, I'll get round to finishing the Superball piece someday. The reason
it isn't done is because I've lost my notes. I do know how it ends, but I'd need to write the ending from scratch.

This is somewhat different. How is it different? Well, I'll be posting it in short fragments over the next couple weeks. It's not actually that long -
the delayed schedule due to my being incredibly busy. But see...this is actually complete. It is DONE, as of last night.. Mind, my draft is in script
form, not proper prose - but all the dialogue is finished, as are the 'stage directions' and scenery descriptions. =)

However...I admit this is a rather self-indulgent piece, as it were. It's relatively serious in tone, and I know I don't excel with that sort of thing.
Nonetheless, it's what I was compelled to write, ever since John Prester and his supporting cast emerged fully-fleshed in my brain. Consider this, then, an
introduction to two characters I care deeply about (but nobody else does, yet)...and a rambling treatise on some broader thematic thoughts.

The Eleventh Hour:

Family Business

Jeanne craned her neck, struggling to look past the press of people on the platform. She didn't know it'd be like this, damn it all. She'd
never had the dubious pleasure of taking long-distance surface rail in or out of Paragon. This was nothing like the tidy little tram stations she was
used to.

How the hell was she supposed to find him in this mess? With the crowd milling round, he could walk right past and she'd never even
notice.

Oh, she'd recognize him. She would. But spotting him in the first place would be a minor miracle. Her hand twitched, instinctively going for her
mobile. But no, he hadn't given her a number, and she'd forgotten to ask for one.

Damn. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

As Jeanne stood there cursing, a baby stroller rammed into her from the back, the front wheels smashing against her shins. Jeanne glared as the woman and
child pushed past without any apology. Fuming, Jeanne opened her mouth...

...then closed it, her shoulders slumping.

This was ridiculous.

How on Earth was she supposed to...

Wait.

She snapped her gaze round, staring past the crowd. Coming through the ticket barrier, joining the flow of arriving passengers, was a familiar figure.

"Uncle John," Jeanne yelled, waving her arms. She put as much volume and energy into it as she could muster. At this point, she didn't really
care if she made a scene.

He heard her. That was all she cared about.

Looking up, he caught Jeanne's eyes through the sea of commuters - before a group of noisy backpackers swarmed between them. Jeanne growled in
frustration as her view was blocked. Jeanne tried shoving them aside, but by the time the last heavily laden rucksack was gone, she'd lost sight of him.
She turned her head, searching frantically.

A hand grasped her shoulder, steadying her. "Easy there."

"Uncle John," Jeanne cried, throwing her arms round her older relative.

It was clearly a more emotional greeting than the man was prepared for. He seemed taken aback, at least momentarily. His eyebrows lifted in surprise. To
his credit, he recovered quickly, bearing her weight stoically instead of crumpling under the sudden mass of teenage girl.

There was a pause, before Jeanne realised what she'd done. A faint flush came to her cheeks, and she started to pull away - before her movement was
arrested by a gesture of John's own.

He smiled. It was a small smile, a faint smile - but a genuine one. Jeanne could tell. She'd seen enough of the other kind in the past few weeks.

"Glad to see you too," he said, drily.

Jeanne smiled back. She hadn't seen her uncle in years, but he looked just like she remembered. That was reassuring, somehow. It was comforting to see
a face like hers, after all this time - that distinct mix of dark skin over bright eyes and hair.

He was family.

Jeanne said something. It didn't come out right, though, and after she said it, she couldn't remember what she'd spoken. She buried her face in
the fabric of Uncle John's suit jacket, and tried not to cry.

He seemed to understand, all the same.

"Shh," John murmured soothingly, patting her on the back, "I'm sorry."

She lifted her head. It was hard to make out his words on the noisy station platform, but they were close enough. Her ears were working, even if her brain
wasn't.

"For what," Jeanne demanded.

John looked uncomfortable. "I should have been here," he explained, "I'm sorry I wasn't."

Jeanne laughed, hollowly. "Didn't miss much," she said bitterly, "small funeral."

John winced. His complexion, the same brown as Jeanne's, made it hard to tell - but it looked like he paled just a little. "That's not what I
meant," he clarified, "well, that too, I suppose. But I should have been here...before..."

"You're here now," Jeanne insisted.

It was a moment before John answered. "I am."

Carefully, John unwound himself from the girl and took a step back. His walking stick rapped against the platform tiles as he centred himself.

"You've grown," he observed, sounding almost amazed.

"It has been a while, Uncle John," Jeanne retorted, "did you expect me to shrink?"

John sighed. "A while, yes. Too long."

There was an awkward silence between them, filled by the noise of the busy station.

"Ah," Jeanne said, finally, "do you have...like, bags? Luggage? I mean..."

"Just the one," John answered, indicating the suitcase resting by his feet with a small wave of his cane.

"Oh," exclaimed Jeanne, reaching for the handle, "let me get it."

"No need for that," John rebuffed her, politely, "it has wheels. I'll be fine."

"But with your leg and all," Jeanne objected, "I mean..."

"I'm not an invalid," said John, archly, "if that's what you think."

Jeanne blanched. "I didn't mean..."

"No, no," John reassured her, "it's alright. I'm just being a cranky old man. I assure you, I carry this..."

He shifted the cane.

"...more out of habit than anything else. But if it'll make you feel better, you can take the bag. Mind the left wheel, though, it pulls to the
left."

"If you're not careful," he added, with a conspiratorial grin, "it'll turn around and maim you like the savage beast it
is."

"Will do," Jeanne confirmed, giving a little salute. She laughed weakly at the joke, more relieved that he hadn't taken offence. She extended
the bag's carrying handle, and set off with the suitcase rolling behind her.

"So," John asked, as they left the crowded station, "where to, then?"

The sun beat down on the busy street beyond the train terminal. It was a hot day, well into summer. As he stepped into the light, John raised a hand to
shield his eyes. As he did, he tilted his head to one side, stopped, and stared.

Jeanne followed the direction he was looking in. "Oh," she said, "guess you haven't seen the War Walls, huh."

"Just the base of them, coming into the city," John replied, looking at the planes of shimmering force reaching up to the sky, "couldn't
get a good look from the train."

Jeanne nodded. "They creeped me out when we first moved here, but now...it's like, I just look up and expect to see..."

"...that," John finished, pointing with the tip of his walking stick.

"Yeah," Jeanne said, "but you'll get used to them, if you're staying."

A look of concern crossed her face.

"Er," Jeanne whispered, slowly, "you are staying, right?"

John blinked, just once. "That's the plan, yes."

He regarded her oddly. "Unless, of course, you don't want me to..."

"No, no," Jeanne spluttered, "that's...I mean...thank you, Uncle John. You didn't have to do this. I mean..."

"No," John corrected her. His voice was soft, but firm. "I did. You shouldn't be alone."

"I can take care of myself," she protested, a little defensively.

John inclined his head. "You can, I know. You're essentially an adult, even by the standards of this society. In my day, you'd already be of
age. I trust you can make your own decisions. But..."

Jeanne wondered briefly at the strange turn of phrase. My day? She didn't press him on that, though. Instead, she prompted: "But?"

"You shouldn't be alone," he said, quietly, "nobody should."

Jeanne absorbed that, not quite knowing how to answer. Eventually, she just nodded, not trusting herself to speak. Thankfully, her uncle seemed equally
inclined to let it pass.

He waved a hand down the street. "So..."

"Right," Jeanne began, drawing herself up and turning her mind back to the business of navigation, "no car, sorry. But since you've only
got the one bag, I figured we could take the tram. If you don't mind, I mean. We could get a taxi, but..."

"No," John laughed, "the tram is fine. I've heard public transport in Paragon is quite good. Famous, even."

Jeanne smirked with the pride common to all Paragon citizens. "Oh, it's the best."

John smiled back. With a deliberate motion, he tugged on his lapels and adjusted his tie. "Well, then. I shall be honoured to ride in one of these
fine conveyances, no doubt fit for a king."

"I don't know about kings," Jeanne quipped, as she lead the way down the street, "but we might see a hero or two."

"Close enough," John said, smiling indulgently.

-- Acyl
Oh, I like this, Acyl. I'm looking forward to more. There's nothing here yet to bite down on, but the feel of the piece... yeah. I'm looking
forward to it. Smile

(As an aside: yesterday, mostly for grins, I Goggled John Prester. Uh... yeah. Is this he? O_o)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Wikipedia: Prester John
-- Acyl
As an aside - I will be frank - honestly this is a bit slow and it continues in this vein for most of the piece. Though perhaps there is tension of sorts; this
is essentially a three-character piece, not a two-character piece, you see.
-- Acyl
I'm intrigued by this bit and interested to see where it's going. The legend is a matter of open record, but as almost any fiction will tell you, the
legends inevitably get bits wrong....
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
The tram, mercifully, was reasonably empty. Which is to say not at all, but at least they were able to find one seat - which Jeanne insisted her uncle take.
Clutching one of the vertical bars in the train car, she leaned over to talk with him as they passed through town.

"If you'll be staying in Paragon for a while," Jeanne asked, "what about...work and stuff? I mean, I don't know what you've
been..."

John made a placating gesture. "Don't worry about it. I've been doing research and consultancy work for the past few years, anyway, Mostly
freelance. I can do that here just as well as anywhere."

"Even so," Jeanne murmured.

"Now, now," John said, archly, "I'm the one who should be concerned about your livelihood, not the other way around."

Jeanne hid her eyes, looking down. "Sorry."

He laughed. "Don't worry. Really, it's no problem. Besides, I've been in touch with some colleagues. We might be launching a new venture
soon...or restarting an old one, depending on how you look at it."

Jeanne tilted her head. "Some kind of business?"

"Mmn, well," John said, rubbing his chin. He didn't respond immediately. When he did, it seemed like he was choosing his words deliberately.
"You'll see, soon enough. You might even be interested, depending on how things turn out."

"Sounds shady," Jeanne remarked, lifting her eyebrows. She wrapped her hand tighter around the support pole, as the tram car rocked gently beneath
her feet.

That earned a snort of muffled laughter from her uncle. "No. More like...confidentialities, proprieties, and all that. I'm not sure what I can say,
at this point. It's a bit to early to tell. There's a certain individual I need to meet with before we can start operations."

"Some kind of investor thing? I mean, with the economy and all," Jeanne hazarded, "it's hard to get loans and stuff, right?"

"Ah...not quite, no," John answered, slowly, "more like...he's prominent in Paragon, so to speak. We didn't part on good terms the
last time we met. I owe the man an apology, honestly. I'm hoping he'll at least hear me out."

Jeanne blinked, once, as she processed the phrasing. "Are you sure," she said, archly, "this isn't the mafia?"

"If it were," replied John, mildly, deliberately looking round the tram car, and eying the other passengers, "I'd be using more creative
euphemisms."

"So," Jeanne challenged, "what do you do, anyway? I mean, I don't think dad ever said."

Her uncle looked surprised for an instant, before his facial features settled back into a contemplative expression. "He didn't? Hm, curious. Oh,
well. It's hardly a secret. Like I said, mostly research. A touch of anthropology and belief systems, comparative religion and study of scripture,
practical thaumaturgy..."

"Practical what?"

John laughed lightly. "Oh," he said, apologetically, "too technical?"

Jeanne kept her right arm curled round the support pole. Her left hand came up, thumb and forefinger barely apart. "Just a little, yeah."

"Sorry," he murmured, still chuckling, "I talk too much."

"Well," Jeanne said, "it's what you do...it's what you like, right? It's cool. I don't mind hearing about it, I
mean..."

"No, no," John disagreed, "I shouldn't talk your ear off. What about you? Any grand career plans?"

"Not yet, no," Jeanne replied, knowing as she said it that her answer was weak, "I'm still waiting to hear back from PCU..."

John considered the acronym, and made a guess. "Paragon City University?"

"Uh, yeah," Jeanne confirmed.

The monorail pulled into a station, interrupting their conversation. John waited patiently for the recorded voice to finish its announcement. Raising his
voice a little, he asked, "What major?"

"Um...I'm not sure, honestly? I know, that sounds awful. But it's more like...I know what I don't want to do," Jeanne hazarded,
"if that makes sense?"

John spared a moment to glance at the doors of the train car, eying a pair of passengers as he boarded. Snaking a hand out, he shifted his suitcase
slightly, tucking it closer to his legs - and keeping the aisle free. Then he turned back to Jeanne. "Oh, it does. And what would that be?"

"No math," she shuddered. "Or physics, anything like that. Economics might not be so bad, but even so..."

He snorted. "Not good with numbers?"

"Yeah, well, hard numbers anyway," Jeanne made a face, "graphs and such are alright. I did okay with statistics in high school, but stuff
like calculus...ugh."

Her uncle smiled at that. "You got your mother's brain, not your father's, hm?"

"Yeah, well," Jeanne said, sticking her tongue out, "if I were a structural engineer like dad, all my buildings would fall down."

John's lips pressed together, his features growing solemn. "That would be bad," he agreed, soberly.

"Very," Jeanne stated.

"So," John asked, "what do you like?"

"Art, humanities," Jeanne scowled. She tightened her grip on her handhold as the train started moving again. "I guess? Literature? But
that's not really a practical career path, is it?"

"I don't know," her uncle shot back, "is it?"

"What do you do," Jeanne singsonged, "with a BA in English?"

John looked peturbed. "Plenty of things."

"Er," Jeanne said, slowly, "it's a song...?"

"...ah," said John, not at all enlighted.

"From a musical," Jeanne continued, flailing. She could feel the reference sinking deep into the abyss. "It's...you have no idea what
I'm talking about, do you?"

"Afraid not," he admitted.

"Er, sorry," she mumbled, wincing. Her head went down, her shoulders slumping. Whatever her future career prospects, Jeanne reflected, stand-up
comedy probably wasn't in the cards.

John rolled his eyes. "An old man's ignorance of popular culture isn't your fault," he insisted.

"Still feels like a faux pas," Jeanne muttered, darkly.

"Trust me, it isn't," John reassured her, "but honestly, you should do something that interests you. Any interest in arcane
studies?"

The question caught Jeanne off-guard. She looked up. "What?"

"Well, I know some people at the Salamanca campus," explained John, "the department is pretty good..."

"Uhhh," Jeanne said, blinking, "never thought about it, really..."

"Mm, pity," John mused, "still, you've got time to decide. I understand freshmen at American universities are allowed to change their
minds all the time."

Jeanne coughed. "It's not that easy."

"But easy enough," he shot back, "I'm sure you'll find something."

"I hope so," Jeanne said, "I mean, Dad always liked what he did, but me..."

John shook his head in response. "Your father was...uncommonly sure about his calling. He knew what he wanted. But there's no crime in not
knowing."

"I dunno," Jeanne sighed, "it feels like I'm guilty of poor planning or something."

"Hardly," her uncle corrected, clearing his throat, "look, Jeanne, you're young. And even if you weren't, life is unpredictable.
Don't worry too much about where you'll end up."

Jeanne smiled wistfully. "That's what dad said when we moved to Paragon."

Something about that statement bothered John. It showed on his face. It was brief, but Jeanne caught the shift in his expression. When he spoke, his voice
was quiet and studiously neutral. "Did he? Ah..."

"Sorry," Jeanne blurted, vaguely alarmed, "did I...say something..."

John closed his eyes. "No, no. It's not your fault. Your father and I...we argued when he decided to come here. And, well, I never got a chance to
apologize."

Jeanne wasn't quite sure what to make of that. "You...he...but dad said..."

Her uncle breathed a deep sigh. He was silent for a moment, leaning back against the train car's seat, resting the back of his head against the window.
Eventually, he took another breath and explained. "He didn't tell you, hm? I suppose that's a blessing. But yes, we had words."

"...about...what?"

"Well," John began, "Jonathan - your father - wanted to move to Paragon and help rebuild. After the Rikti. You know that."

"Yeah," said Jeanne, dumbly.

John shook his head. "He said his talents were needed. I said it was too dangerous, that there were other people who could help. And I especially
didn't like how he brought you along."

Jeanne opened her mouth, but couldn't quite find the words. It took her a few seconds to regain her mental balance. "If you were concerned about
me...well, us, why did dad get mad? I mean..."

"I never said he got mad," her uncle answered, "I got angry first. And I said some things I really shouldn't have."

Shaking her head, Jeanne brought a hand to her face, and tried to keep calm. This was a bit of family history she hadn't heard. "Like
what?"

Her uncle looked ashamed. "I said your mother would have been disappointed in him."

"Oh, ouch," Jeanne hissed, "that was low, Uncle John."

"Yes," he admitted, "yes it was. Foolish of me. Insensitive. And wrong. Your mother always loved your father's sense of sacrifice. Marie
would have supported him."

"Paragon's not the safest place in the world," Jeanne offered, a concilatory tone creeping into her voice, "I can understand why you
were worried."

"No," John muttered, his eyes distant, "that's not...no, it is, but that's not the reason. Wasn't the reason."

Jeanne watched him carefully. "Then what?"

"It's...not important," John evaded, refusing to meet her gaze, "history, really."

Jeanne held her stare.

The next few minutes passed in awkward silence. Oh, the monorail rattled, and other passengers were talking. But neither Jeanne nor her uncle spoke.

(real-world schedule's kicking my ass, but I'm gonna try and crank this out faster. Like I said, it's largely finished, it just needs heavy edits.)
-- Acyl