Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Interesting Article on MA Abuse Reaction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Elder Gamer site has an interesting article about the devs' reaction to the "misuse" of the Mission Architect -- you might want to check it out.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
There's some interesting points there, but I really get the feeling that most of the people commenting don't actually play City of Heroes. I've
never seen another game where players are as likely to do something that's counterproductive for gaining power for their character as this. (At least, no
other game I know has ideas like "concept character" as part of it's lexicon.)

From what I've seen in Mission Architect, "fun" missions (by which I'm meaning "missions with interesting story and things that
aren't exploitative") are not "rated poorly by users and disappear into the miasma of mediocrity." Missions with good stories are getting
good ratings. Non-exploitative missions with bad stories, not doing well.

I'm rather bemused by "There are many ways that the user-generated content in CoX could have *not failed*, not least of which would be removing the
bug that allows the entire level to be boss monsters." Given that if I was trying to make an exploitative level for Shia Arisa Plenilune, it'd have
*no* bosses. I can take on dozens of minions in the time it takes to defeat a boss. What's ideal isn't the same for every character.

Overall, it looks to me like both the people who play and the people who run the game consider MA a success, and I'm not impressed with any of the
arguments saying that it's not.

-Morgan.