Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: i16 - not "Going Rouge" but....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Posi posted a couple interesting pictures on the CoH forums today, related to what i16 will be about...
files are named "purple_fire_control" and "blue_fire_dominator"
[Image: purple_fire_control.jpg]
[Image: blue_fire_dominator.jpg]
Color me impressed! Big Grin
Oh. My. god. omigodomigodomigodomigodoh MY GOD!!!!

SQWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

POWER CUSTOMIZATION!!!

FINALLY!!!!
Let's not get ahead of ourselves....

Nonetheless, the pictures are quite intriguing.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

dark seraph

wait... if it is power color customiseation.....

i need it, for many evil plans >.>

I suspect it's just colour changing as opposed to more elaborate customization, but EVEN THAT is YES YES YES.
-- Acyl
Issue 16: Going Rouge!
Or as a wisecracking poster on the European forums put it:
Issue 16: Pimp my Imp!
-- Acyl
Yes Acyl, I noticed. *points up at title of thread* Tongue

Puns, I knows dem.
=)
-- Acyl
Hmmm. Nogi changing her Dark Miasma to Sakura-toned mist >:3
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Space Mage would probably do similar, and go for pink energy blasts to boot. Syndesis would get green on all effects. I'd probably turn Battery Acid's
electricity blue, too...and that's just for my existing characters.

Between this and side-switching, this is spawning a whole slew of new potential concepts...
-- Acyl
Beach Baby would definitely color practically everything she does blue/aqua...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Right now, I keep remembering Jack Emmert in his CoH days. "Can't be done, won't be done, stop crying and love what we give you!"

This is some nice timing on Paragons part Smile
Only thing I could think of is give Ankh's Regen the Red/Black of Pain Dom instead of the clashing green.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

dark seraph

Hmmm, i can change Gir's SS attack to something better than that horid yellow Smile

Acyl Wrote:I suspect it's just colour changing as opposed to more elaborate customization, but EVEN THAT is YES YES YES.

Wasn't that as much as a lot of people were daring to hope for?

I just might be willing to play Plasmabell now... Well, if I feel like having another melee character.

I hope it'll be possible to change colors for each power though. Having things in various colors is far more suitable for Shia's concept.

-Morgan. Blue-tinted radiation powers could be nice...
Yes, but there's a significant proportion of players who want the ability to:

a) change power animations, and
b) select the emination points for powers (ie, energy blasts from eyes, not hands)

Personally I've always thought that's asking for way too much, and is entirely unrealistic.

The document that Back Alley Brawler produced some time ago, outlining the technical hurdles behind power customisation...focused on recolouring powers rather than any of the above. That always meant to me that if customization did come down the pipeline, what we'd see is colour-switching.

However, there's still plenty of folks on the forums who are dissatisfied with simply colour-changing. While my knee-jerk reaction is to simply say 'bah, cry moar', there might be some legitimacy in that position.
-- Acyl
Rule one of COX metagaming: Any change, especially for the better, pisses off some large number of very vocal people on the COX boards, often simply because it is a change.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
That's actually an instance of Rule One of MMORPG metagaming. ("How dare they make mounts available at much lower levels in WoW! And less expensive
too! This is pandering to casual gamers! Waaaaah!")

--Sam

"One of these days, milkshake -- BOOM!"
I still laugh at someone screaming because these two pictures prove that I15 is ONLY going to be power customization and how DARE they not give him more PvP
because that's the really important thing, wah wah wah wah.

The CoX boards need to lighten the fuck up Smile

As for changing animations and emanation points... I doubt that'd happen. If nothing else, all attacks have a certain action time, and the sorts of
glitches and hassles that would come with making multiple animations for it? Bleck.
Oh, probably, though there's the chance that they'd just go, "OK, speed this up or slow that down by factor of X to make it match with the
scheduled timing for that power."

I doubt it, of course. But that doesn't stop me dreaming of the day that I never have to look at one of my characters do the Total Focus Wave ever again.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Valles... now I can't help but think of a soccer match every time I see that animation.

Thank you. It's a glorious image. =D
-- Acyl
Matrix Dragon Wrote:As for changing animations and emanation points... I doubt that'd happen. If nothing else, all attacks have a certain action time, and the sorts of glitches and hassles that would come with making multiple animations for it? Bleck.

Given that (based on some previous issues and things I've read) animation times don't *have* to line up with activation times for the engine to work, I'd take the same "let the buyer beware" attitude that I have with costume parts that clip. If someone wants to use an animation that finishes faster than the attack, resulting in them apparently doing nothing for a second or two before they're done? Fine. If someone wants to use an animation that'll never actually finish, because it gets interrupted by the next thing in the chain? Fine.

Barring that, you could still argue that at least only-affects-self toggles could be done without producing any real issues.

-Morgan.