Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Numbers for shits and giggles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While bored one night, I went on the wiki and checked out the sheer number of combinations possible in the game at present. Here's the hard numbers.

Currently, pre i16, there are 583 possible primary/secondary combinations per archetype(considering Wolf
Spiders/Crabs/Banes and Widows/Fortunatas/Night Widows as separate combinations)

How do the ATs stack up?

Blueside:

Blasters: 8 primaries, 6 secondaries = 48 total combinations

Controllers: 7 primaries, 8 secondaries = 56 total combinations

Defenders: 9 primaries, 8 secondaries = 72 total combinations (Highest total blueside)

Scrappers: 8 primaries, 7 secondaries = 56 total combinations

Tankers: 7 primaries, 9 secondaries = 63 total combinations

Epic Blueside:

Peacebringer

Warshade

Redside:

Brutes: 9 primaries, 9 secondaries = 81 total combinations (Highest total redside and in the entire game)

Corruptors: 8 primaries, 9 secondaries = 72 total combinations

Dominators: 6 primaries, 6 secondaries = 36 total combinations

Masterminds: 5 primaries, 7 secondaries = 35 total combinations

Stalkers: 8 primaries, 7 secondaries = 56 total combinations

Epic Redside:

Wolf Spider/Bane Spider/Crab Spider = 3 total career tracks

Widow/Night Widow/Fortunata = 3 total career tracks

Now, for fun, let's consider the power prolifs coming in Issue 16 and Going Rogue:

[table]

Archetype

Primary

Secondary

Blaster
Radiation Blast
None
Controller
None
Cold Domination
Defender
Traps
Assault Rifle
Scrapper
Electric Melee
Electric Armor
Tanker
Electric Armor
Electric Melee
Brute
Claws
None
Corruptor
Archery
Trick Arrow
Dominator
None
Earth Assault
Mastermind
None
Thermal Radiation
Stalker
Broadsword
None
[/table]

Going Rogue:

Blaster: Dual Pistols primary

Mastermind: Demon Summoning primary

This brings Blasters up to 10/6 (60 total), Controllers 7/9 (63), Defenders 10/9 (90), Scrappers 9/8 (72), Tankers 8/10 (80), Brutes 10/9 (90), Corruptors 9/10
(90), Dominators 6/7 (42), Masterminds 6/8 (48), and Stalkers 9/7(63).

This brings our total combinations, come Going Rogue, to 706 total
combinations.

That's 700+ possible combinations before epic pools are even considered.

Holy fucking shit.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
To add to that... did you factor in power pools?
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
Nope, that's just flat primary and secondary pools. Factoring in power pools, epic and patron pools, and the numbers presumably start going into
exponential increase. :lol:
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
Considering you can have up to 4 out of the 10 different power pools, that's 120 different combinations right there. 720, if you want to consider in which
order you take them in important. That's a monumental increse in combinations, right there, but that's only considering either having the pool or not,
rather than how many powers in the pool you have (of which there are 9 combos).

Adding in the Epic/Patron pools... And you can see where this is going.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Mmm, tasty. Combinatorics. Big Grin

However, there is a fatal flaw in all of this. Assuming you max out every server's slots AND fill all of them, you're still only able to taste-test at
best about 2/3rds of the current possible combinations. That's unacceptable!

Devs, we need more slots!

More to the point, the numbers aren't quite so high as that. Some primaries don't work with some secondaries, for example, even though individually
those are still available to that archetype. For example, you can't have a Dual Blades Scrapper with Shield Defense.

At that point we'd need to get into set resolution and the math would start getting hairy and frankly, I'm not as enthused about it as all that. Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
I could do it on a side project... I'm not really into sets and combinatorics though, that's not my area.

I think we can safely say that there are"more than enough" possible combinations to try out, and leave it at that.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI