Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: I16 Open Beta!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ohhhh.... Shiny...
Well, there goes my desire to check out the Champions Online open beta.

*patches CoHTest client*
-- Acyl
EDIT: oh my god look at the new Super Strength animations OH MY GOD so PRETTY

Er, ahem.
-- Acyl

Baseload

Sad

Not on Test.....
Two factors contribute to my not making a longer post right now with impressions of the costume creator.

One is the fact I just got off work about half an hour ago at 6AM.

The other is that....words fail me. I am....just....just so happy. So very....very happy.....
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
I spent most of my CoX availablilty last night in Beta there, and I was playing with customization... IT's gonna take me a while to find JUST the right
Dark Miasma combo for Nogi and QB...

But lots of folks are going for the XTREEM BLOOD POWAH on test atm. Take Radiation Blaster, go for dark-set blasts and red and black. ... Ewwwww.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

dark seraph

bah, if your gonna use blood effects for a power, go subtel. over the top olny works in comics and some movies

Wow, there really is a lot of obsession with red, isn't there...

What bothers me is that (if I'm reading this right) regen basically gets no customization. Uh, I'd kind of like for Eri Silverwing to look a bit less
like a christmas tree, thanks.

(I also see no good reason why they can't open up all the colors that are going to be in the system for all powers. I've seen some *bad* reasons
quoted, but no good ones.)

Anyone seen screenshots of the metallic spines or crystal armor? Those both sound interesting to me, although it's not like I need more characters.
(Especially when I'm kind of focused on FFXI right now...)

-Morgan.
Quote: Morganni wrote:

What bothers me is that (if I'm reading this right) regen basically gets no customization. Uh, I'd kind of like for Eri Silverwing to look a bit less
like a christmas tree, thanks.
I rolled up a Regen scrapper while toying about with it last night. It's as customizable as any of the other sets. You can get it in native
green, bright any color, dark any color, or no effects at all, if that's your flavor.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

dark seraph

i would like to make Brokes sabers Regen match her dark melee and get Gir's powers a nicer color, the plae yellow liks kinda... bleah Tongue

As I've noted, in addition to being able to change the yellow energy flash of super-strength, you can also choose from an entirely different set of super-strength animations - more straight-line punching rather than the HULK SMASH punches we have now. And a ground punch instead of foot stomp - that sorta thing. Some of the new super-strength alternate punches are really awesomely cool ... I like them better than the default set.

Martial Arts has some alternate animations as well.
-- Acyl
Oh yeah. Wide's got the full "Heroic Punches" set going on test Big Grin

My "final" Nogi recolor is darker than I'd originally wanted, but is still pink enough... After all, she IS the "Wild Fox of the Bloodsnow
Forest."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
OpMegs Wrote:I rolled up a Regen scrapper while toying about with it last night. It's as customizable as any of the other sets. You can get it in native green, bright any color, dark any color, or no effects at all, if that's your flavor.

Huh. Perhaps the information I was looking at was outdated or something.

The way people start screaming "entitlement!" whenever someone even *dares* to suggest that they might want colors that aren't currently available is *really* getting on my nerves.

Also the continued "I know your character concept better than you do!"

Even though I don't really plan on making anything in AE with custom powers, I really hope the xp rewards don't stay as what the chart here describes.

Power customization could be a major QoL improvement for some powersets. With radiation emission for instance, it's really hard to see who's the anchor in some environments. Some dark-based powers are similar. Could make some things a lot easier.

I think I'll probably be spending a lot of time on test just tweaking power colors, since it looks like it's still hard to tell what you're really going to get in the costume creator.

-Morgan.
The 'HULK SMASH' works out well for Emet, though I would certainly be interested to see the new looks for the rest of Stone Armor, in rare chance they're actually on. Did you notice if they changed Hurl, by the way?

I'll also have to play with Ankh's Regen color. I'll probably turn it off or way down, since I dun want to be yet-another-power-of-blood crazy.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Hurl's color effects(the energy that clings to the Tank when using it, that is) is color tintable. The rock itself and the animation remain the same.
---
waste."
Random thoughts on power customization, since I was able to get a test install working...

-Blue fire looks very cool.

-So does blue radiation.

-Actually, pretty much anything I cared to try looks good in blue.

-Fire Imps, however, look pretty bad in anything and everything I tried. But given that it has to do the summoning animation again every time you change
colors, it's a pain to try.

-Most of the "dark" powers seem to have a bit of dark purple in them. I rather like the effect from replacing it with something in the pink end of
the spectrum. A bit easier to see for things like Tar Patch (where I have to really look sometimes to be sure what's in it and what's not) and
interesting looking while still being dark-looking. (And not looking like something one of those blood-obsessed freaks would come up with either.)

-It also seems to be possible to make Dark Armor toggles look like being in the middle of a cloud of white stuff instead of black stuff. (At least, I'm
pretty sure I remember doing that once.) Concept character who carries their own snowstorm with them?

-If I ever actually play Plasmabell, I'll enjoy having her electricity blue the way it's supposed to be.

-Still not really happy with Spines. That cloud of green stuff when you attack doesn't really work for someone whose concept would involve the spines being
like injectors if they used poison at all...

-Crystals look a lot like I *wish* Ice Armor looked, if you set the colors to blues.

-Still hate the way Ice Armor looks.

-Plain white tights look startlingly like nudity in bad lighting with weird effects going on. '.'

-Morgan.
Agreed with most stuff looking good in blue - but that shouldn't be surprising. Much in the same way glowing red is a generic 'awesome energy colour' in general aesthetics, a lot of people like cool blue glows.

I certainly do - but I'm also willing to accept that my tastes aren't specially unique and singular. =)

Amusingly, I'm also planning on making my Dark Defender's powers pink. Fox is doing the same for his Dark Miasma characters. Granted, we have different reasons for doing it; for me, pink clouds is a very Space Mage thing to do. Fox is trying to model sakura blossoms, IIRC.

Personally... if I can figure out the actual costume, I totally want to recolour the Storm powerset in toxic dark greens, and pair it with a similarly green-tinted dark blast for a chemical-themed character. I've wanted Poison Corruptors for a while, but this would actually be BETTER, visually, for what I have in mind.
-- Acyl
Acyl Wrote:Much in the same way glowing red is a generic 'awesome energy colour' in general aesthetics

Huh. I would have said pink was the generic awesome energy color instead of red. I guess that's the "traditional magical girl" part of me talking. '.'

(Though I didn't actually try pink on many powers. But then, I probably wouldn't have tried blue on so many if I hadn't started wondering if there was anything that didn't look good in blue. Other than Fire Imps.)

Quote:Amusingly, I'm also planning on making my Dark Defender's powers pink. Fox is doing the same for his Dark Miasma characters. Granted, we have different reasons for doing it; for me, pink clouds is a very Space Mage thing to do. Fox is trying to model sakura blossoms, IIRC.

Well, I wasn't going to go for *all* pink. Just black and pink instead of the default black and purple. (Rin is, after all, using the lobotomized soul of an insane serial killer as a power source. All pink is just not on. '.' )

Quote:Personally... if I can figure out the actual costume, I totally want to recolour the Storm powerset in toxic dark greens, and pair it with a similarly green-tinted dark blast for a chemical-themed character.

Interesting. I didn't actually try anything with it, but I'd consider something like that for my Bots/Storm MM if I hadn't already gotten attached to the idea of her making portable wind generators or something. '.'

-Morgan.