Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Riot Q...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who would be the 'official' person who recruits people into Riot6.1? And does anyone here play them?

asking because I;ve got a couple of paragraphs floating about in my head for SSgt Shortimer's intro, and I need to bounce some ideas off people...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
In-game, everyone in Riot has invite permissions. MatrixDragon (aka MD, aka Matrix Dragon on these forums) is the SG owner. Lady of the Peace (aka Ifrit) is the
SG lead character, with Silicon Sabre as her 2IC.

In story terms, it's generally Ifrit, Silicon Sabre, or Sell-Sword doing the recruiting, though that's not a hard-and-fast rule.

Lady of the Peace: MD/Matrix Dragon

Silicon Sabre, Sell-Sword: OpMegs

Riot has a -very- informal rank structure; I'd liken it to an anarchist commune, really.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Yeah, if they'll allow a diehard cynic like Blackstone into the group, they'll let anyone. He'll grant you access himself, although you'll have
to deal with his attitude. ("You actually want to join this madhouse? For fuck's sake, why?!")
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Sofaspud Wrote:Riot has a -very- informal rank structure; I'd liken it to an anarchist commune, really.
Which amuses me, because at the same time it's the most militant of the supergroups - mostly due to the fact a large proportion of the membership consists of women in heavy power armour. And then there's Sell-Sword, who's like Batman for hire. With guns.
Of course, militant doesn't have to mean military...  
-- Acyl
The Sabres have their own organization and hierarchy, separate from that of the Supergroup. And Sword doesn't do rank, from what I get. You're his boss
only long as he has a current check with your signature on it, though knowing him, he may only work for cash...

Suffice it to say, a lot of the people could invite you to the SG, but it's structure comes up where you decide to join one of the actual groups within the
SG.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
In-game, anyone has invites for ease of getting newly rolled characters in. Storywise though, Ifrit and Sylia are rather careful about it. Not just in inviting
heroes in, but in what they let those heroes see. Both of them are fine with truth and justice... but they also have a 'black-ops' side of things.
Which is why they hired Sword in the first place Tongue
Quote: Ankhani wrote:

The Sabres have their own organization and hierarchy, separate from that of the Supergroup. And Sword doesn't do rank, from what I get. You're his
boss only long as he has a current check with your signature on it, though knowing him, he may only work for cash...
In the sense that the Marine Corps or Air Force have their own separate organization and hierarchy from the US government, yes. Sylia still
answers to Ifrit (as much as the two are pretty much equals at this point), and while the Sabres are self-policing, that's more because they're a large
fraction of Riot's numbers than because "It's Sabre business, butt out". If any of the Sabres went rogue, it would be an internal matter
first, but internal to Riot, not the Sabres specifically.

Sword, meanwhile, pretty much is loyal to Riot as personified by Ifrit, though his contract does have stipulations as to who he answers to in the case of
Ifrit's untimely demise. Continuing the metaphor from above, he's essentially the Department of Homeland Security, with all the nebulously defined
jurisdiction and duties that implies. But as long as the bills are paid on time, his loyalty's probably more ironclad than pretty much anybody. You
wouldn't believe the number of redundant "and if someone pays you more to quit on us immediately, we'll increase your pay temporarily so that you
inform us" clauses there are in there.

Beyond that, Riot doesn't have structure outside of the Sabres. Ifrit is in charge. Sylia answers to Ifrit and is in charge of the Sabres, and everyone
else sticks inside the basic rules of the SG with no official delineation of oversight or responsibility beyond the Big Two. And the Sabres are Riot writ
slightly smaller. Silicon's in charge, Net's below her, and beyond that it's just really seniority. Those that've been around the block longer
are listened to moreso than the new kids that just arrived. And even then, seniority =/= command authority. There's not even 40 people in the Sabres. Why
do they need to worry about rank?

Riot's base is a pretty good indicator of how things work. It's a utility base designed to get you what you need and minimal amenities besides that(as
opposed to the Legendary base which is an apartment complex short of being a hotel). The entire SG is essentially very similar to the Justice League concept
from the Unlimited era, albeit mixed liberally with the Outsiders, specifically the Judd Winnick "we do things
that the bigger names can't be seen doing" era.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
hrrm. Well the concept for the intro short was that Sword, Ifrit, or Sylia had brought SSgt Shortimer into the group to work with the existing membership on
physical training and small unit tactics...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Which really is not too implausible, so.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
Quote:Star Ranger4 wrote:

hrrm. Well the concept for the intro short was that Sword, Ifrit, or Sylia had brought SSgt Shortimer into the group to work with the existing membership on physical training and small unit tactics...
I think that's perfectly reasonable. I mean, bear in mind - your average superhero probably doesn't really know how to fight.
Yeah, there has to be some basic competence. I figure that's what 'Security Level' really is, an official certification to show how capable you are. That still doesn't make you a skilled fighter.
Using one of my own characters as an example... Leading Lady is a Level 50 tanker. She's a calm, level-headed, pretty rational individual...who can punch through brick walls. So she's got a Level 50 security clearance. But I'm pretty sure she still doesn't know how to throw a punch correctly. It's just that she's so strong it doesn't matter most of the time. She could be a lot more effective, though, if she actually had some training.
Then there's all the people in hardsuits, people with fancy technology, people who use magic...they don't need physical training to be effective. They're effective already. But it could still help.
That's just the physical side of the equation. The small team tactics thing is another.
I mean, it's trite and cliche, but if there's one thing the military teaches you, it's how to work as a team. You might loathe the guy who bunks across from you, but at the end of the day, he's your teammate - and in the field, that trumps everything. 
-- Acyl