Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Um... Hardware advice...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
*taps mic* This thing on...

So anyway... over on the official forums there is this nice long forum thread where Posi talks about the expected graphics card requirments for Going Rouge...
over yonder way

Having waded through the upteen pages over there, I'm more confused then ever, and iirc there's an expert or two over here that could help steer me
right... or at least there use to be.

Here's my situation:

My old computer:
  • Windows XP3

• AMD 64 Processor 3500+ running at 2.21GHz (Single Core)

• 2 GB Ram

• nVida GeForce 8500 GT

However the powersupply in the computer in it is in the process of dieing - (it doesn't start up first try, it can take up to 10 attempts to start the
computer)

Hence I recently got the opportunity to get a Dell Optiplex 360 while over in USA and bring it back to Australia. These sell for about $1300 over here, and I
got it much cheaper.

It was going to be my gaming computer, but came in a sealed box and I couldn't check the contents. When I got home, I found it contained:
  • Win 7 Professional

• Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 with VT (2.93GHz Dual Core)

• 2 GB Ram (can expand up to 4GB)

• Integrated Video Intel GMA3100

• 255W Power Supply
So my question is this: Do I sell the Optiplex (its effectively brand new) and try to save for a better computer, or do I upgrade it? If I upgrade it,
what gets priority? I know the power supply needs attention if I try to put anything into it.

Shader
Okay, if it can play CoH as it stands NOW, with no problems at a high-ish gfx standard.. it should be okay to "minimum" in the new GFX mode
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Okay, what you've got there is the beginnings of a kick-ass gaming machine. But it's going to need some TLC.

The Dell Optiplex line is _awesome_, in my opinion. I have one. It's a beast. It handles everything I throw at it, and mines an -old- one -- single-core
3GHz P4. So you're outclassing mine already, except in the graphics department.

My advice is to keep the Dell and invest in a good graphics card. Your rig -should- support PCI-E, and you can get good graphics cards for cheap. That thread
you link? Right off the bat it lists a nVidia 9800GT as an under-$100 way to make the magic happen. I can testify that a 9800GT with a gig of video RAM
handles CoH as-is at max pretty, and they state that it can handle ultra mode with 'reduced quality settings'. So that's a starter option there.

Here's the deal. I'm not sure what my PSU is rated at, but my 9800GT runs just fine and I didn't have to upgrade from the stock one in the
machine. If you -do- have to upgrade, it's still a better option to keep the dual-core Dell system.

I don't know the pricing situation in AU, but here in the US you can get a 9800GT for $70. I personally would see if I could have someone in the US
purchase a card and ship it to me, because I suspect price+shipping will still come out to less than price alone in AU, but I could be wrong. Regardless, you
want to keep the dual-core machine if you intend to keep gaming. You don't *need* a new PC with that Dell rig; you just need some graphics horsepower and
possibly (I stress *possibly*) a new power supply.

And more RAM wouldn't hurt, but 2GB runs most games just fine in my experience Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
One thing that constantly bugs me is that Newegg don't deliver internationally and that I was just in the USA and could have pick up all this stuff and
included it in my luggage somewhere.

The Motherboard has one PCIe/16 slot and 2 PCI slots.

2 Gig Ram - From Dell... that'll
be A$100 plus delivery.

Video card: ATI HD5750 PCI-E
2.0 1GB from one different supplier - A$200

and then the power supply... 650W power supply ... A$180 plus delivery

(Why 650 watt? ... to allow for aging and I intend to put a burner in there eventually and I live in a regional area... read: better regulation)

... so I got some saving to do.

I could have bought this much cheaper while I was over there and not paid delivery (DAMIT!) or keep an eye out for specials, or shopped around some.

Shader
Best way to achieve better regulation is to invest in a cheap UPS. I live in an apartment with old wiring, mine has saved my arse multiple times. You should be
able to pick one up for $30-40 - maybe A$50 at most.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
huh.

what's AusPC have to say about the RAM? Aside from that, looks like a winner!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
I may be wrong here but I think Win7 Pro is 64-bit. They might sell 32-bit 7, but I think that's the exception now, rather than the norm.

So, (if it is 64) what that means for you is, motherboard-willing, you can put as much RAM in that thing as you could possibly dream of. I believe that Win7 says that 2GB RAM is recommended to run the OS, so you might want to throw a little extra in there. GSkill has 2GB sticks for under 50USD (shipping not included), but you'll likely want to check and see if you've got DDR2 or 3 before choosing. (also) I dunno where you're gonna get decetly priced RAM though, if Newegg woln't help (just saw that)
As for Graphics, I'd go with NVidia, but that's just mainly because I have a petty grudge with ATI about the piece of shit they call a graphics card they put in my laptop, and I don't want to deal with it anymore.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
http://www.dansdata.com/

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_prod ... y_id]=1338

2gb of Corsair (good brand) ddr2 for your beastie, $96.80 shipped, from a local Aussie vendor - get two, they're small!

The Windows 7 shipped with your compy is a 32 bit version, BUT you _should_ be able to install from provided media in 64 bit. Regardless, 7 will play ball with up to 16gb of RAM even in 32 bit, so you should be good to go.

no comment on the video card, I'm an nvidia bigot.
Thanks for the links to auspcmarket... finally a place that had everything in the one place.

The Win 7 (when it finally gets here) is an 'free upgrade' deal. I'll have to wait and see how many bits it is. I'm hoping for 64, but
expecting 32. Currently the box is running XP Pro (32 bit), has a sticker on the side for Vista Business, and I have disks for XP3 (32 bit) and I think the cds
matching the sticker.

Memory... I personally thought Kingston was the brand to beat but then again I'm beat at the moment.

I've popped 3 power supplies in my old computer over the last 5 years. Then again, I did hammer them pretty hard - 15-18 hour days most days.

I might just nosey down to the local computer store and see what they have to offer...
*Typo inspires a bit of silliness*

*At the computer store*

"Ooooh! What are THEY getting? And isn't that Mathilda Johnson... what's she doing _here_ with _him?_ Her husband's at work...."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:I've popped 3 power supplies in my old computer over the last 5 years.

you _really_ need to read what Dan has to say about UPS and power protection for the Australian geek