Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Physical Location of CoH Servers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While talking with friends in the SD Paragon group last night in-game, one of them mentioned that the server farms were re-located in July from East and West coasts to Dallas TX. I had not heard about this and decided to check it out. Looks like it's true. Here's the link.
And apparently at least part of their offices are located here in Dallas as well. I thought to look them up and see if they might be hiring. (Hey - I have both computer customer service experience and I'm a good design artist) But unfortunately I found out that the Dallas office has laid off 9 people as of last week. Including the guy behind the screen name of Back Alley Brawler(!!!!). So it seems unlikely that they'd be hiring new people at this point. But I'll try and keep an ear to the ground now that I know at least part of Paragon Studios operation is in my area.
I thought I'd pause for a bit and post about this. About to go look up some more info, but even this much is quite interesting.
oh no, babs got sacked?

/mourn
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
They are, however, hiring in Austin (As well as Washington and California...)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Yeah, BAB leaving the team's been about for some time on the official forums and there was a vigil/going away party in Justice Galaxy City a bit back. I'd kinda wondered given how Dave Nakayama/Noble Savage had been making larger appearances on the art department front. And when the i19 alternate animations were noted as being done by someone else rather than him.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
Ya, but does he really want to do a 3hr+ commute, each way every day for work. I'm quite willing to do it for one-offs when accommodation been organised.

*wonders off to check the train schedules*

Yikes! Nearly 7 hours one-way for the train *boggles* When the near-equivalent distance train trip down here takes around four hours and runs pretty much twice daily both ways, I can see why people either fly or drive in the States 'cos with PT service like that.....
Yes, yes, us backwards Merkins need to figure out this 'mass transit' thing everyone else already has perfected... *grin*
It's actually (IMO, YMMV, etc) more a matter of economics and historical decisions.  Trains have long been, in the typical American mindset, a means of moving cargo, livestock, and hobos.  At least, out West.  I understand back East there's a different mindset and a whole different train setup, with passenger trains being more common than cargo.  But we're talking about Texas, here. Smile
Plus, we loves us our cars, and the Interstate Highway System pretty much drove a stake through the passenger train heart.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Ironic because the Interstate Highway system was originally designed to evacuate the major cities rapidly in event of incoming nuclear attack...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Obviously nobody foresaw Southern California gridlock, then.
On the plus side, them Californian's get so much sun all year anyway that they might be able to shrug off a few mushroom clouds at this point...

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Speaking of physical locations - I stuffed that horrible lamp full of Spuds t-shirts into FedEx, it hasn't arrived yet. I figure a Large for Ops and an XL for you? (Your wifey, rather. There's one 2x, and its mine Tongue )
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
T-shirts?
Oh dear.... I'm not sure I want to know.

--sofaspud