Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: To you computer guru's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have this new shiny system installed right? Well there is a small problem when running CoH. The Client Hiccups whenever an Aoe is dropped on a spawn like say when I use foot stomp in a large cluster of council, the client will lock up for like 1 or 2 tenths of a second -every- time. It occurs just as the the damage animation/damage numbers appear. Its not game breaking but it is very annoying.
 verified game files. made sure graphics driver is up to date. Fiddled with ultra mode settings. ran at lower settings, hell even tried on minimum graphics settings but haven't had any luck. Everything else in the game works just fine, I can run around and look around without issues. Single target attacks don't seem to cause this problem so I'm at a loss of what to do if anything.
If it's not a graphics issue, then it might be a network one. Use /netgraph 1 to pull up a little diagnostic on the bottom right. You should see a moving bar graph representing your ping. Start with no mobs around and footstomp, then gradually increase the number and look for any big spikes in the graph.

If it's not something you can fix by messing with your graphics settings, though, I dunno how much you can do to fix it. Unless you're downloading large files, streaming audio/video, torrenting, or other obvious bandwith hogs. (in which case, stop)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
A few things come to mind:
* Try turning off sound in the game and seeing if the problem persists.  Zero out all the sound sliders, turn off 3D audio support, etc.  If that fixes it, then you'll want to update your sound drivers.
*.It could be an issue with the multiple cores.  Try adding "-renderthread 0" or "-renderthread 1" to the end of your CoH shortcut and see if either makes the problem go away.
* The power of sacrificing a rubber chicken cannot be understated.  Grasp it firmly by the legs and wave it slowly, counterclockwise, over the computer, while saying its name backwards in Latin.  You may need a young priest and an old priest as well, each armed with a Windows CD and vial of holy water.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Spud has a good point. You mentioned all your video drivers are updated. What about your SOUND drivers?
I know it seems counter-intuitive for the sound to be affecting your graphics/game, but to paraphrase Sherlock Holmes - if everything you've checked so far makes sense, you're left with no choice but to check things that DON'T seem to make sense.
Hokay, first off I did what Ankh suggested and there are certainly large spikes on the netgraph when I do AoE's and whatnot but I will certainly give your suggestions a try too Spud.

Sadly however..I lack the rubber chickens to sacrifice Big Grin
Edit:Interestingly enough logging on this morning It seems like the problem has cleared itself up, so I'm now under the impression it was something to do with the interwebs connection itself.
Hmm question bout the -renderthread 0 solution. I do have a shortcut to CoH on my desktop but since it opens the NClauncher regardless to actually open the program is that rendered thread going to work? or will I have to apply it to another location?
You could give it a try, but I am unsure if it will work. You could try running "cityofheroes.exe" -project coh -renderthread 0 to force launch the game, but that skips patching and will refuse to connect to a server if there's a version mismatch.

I know that WINE/Linux requires multi-threading to be disabled by that option to work, but since CoH now supports it by default, I'm not sure what good it would do. (Beyond, of course, the dead chicken waving)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Try firing up JUST the launcher directly, not using the /launch CoX option the shortcut on your desktop or whatever uses. I seem to recall the one time I fired up the launcher by hand there were a couople of options I could choose as far as being able to set those sort of flags so the launcher knew to add them to the end of the 'run' command...

And I may be full of it too.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Yeah fiddled around with the launcher as there is a section under properties in the drop down menu for Coh where you can put in 'Extra command line parameters' and tried rendered threads in there. Also turned off sound sadly nuffin.

Gunna open a support ticket and see what the tech's say.
One other thought,.... whats the max particle count youve got set? maybe under ultra its up so high the number of particles generated by the aoe attack are whats causing the hiccup?

NO QUARTER!!!
Yeah I've turned particles down to 100(minimum) I've tried with Shadows off (ZK's suggestion) Set the graphics to bare minimum and sadly havn't had any luck. I'm seriously thinking that its a connection issue of some sort.
Given what you've discribed, yes. Its gotta be something with your connection (it doesnt like pushing all the data for the aoe back n forth) or something else related, but not directly graphical.

NO QUARTER!!!