Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Have you guys already left City of Heroes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Because I don't see many of you in-game of late. Are you all exclusively playing Champions now? Or trying out other games? I've only seen a few of you (less than 5) online in CoH on any kind of regular basis. 

In regards to Champions, I posted all the info that I did about CO and making it easier to adapt to it not in the expectation that everyone would jump ship immediately, but that you'd be able to adapt when the time came with minimal headaches. 

I'd really rather see you guys still having fun in City of Heroes while we still can. I've gotten my VIP status restored, so I can run all the incarnate stuff, but I'd REALLY like to have all of you there. I'd like to team up on quite a few things really. 

I have friends from other groups in the City, but frankly I'm starting to feel slightly abandoned here. 

Come on back and let's run our favorite characters until they kick us out. THEN we can play Champions more, okay?
In my case, it's a combination of depression and not wanting to avoid burnout. I know I'm gonna want to blitz a bunch of things I haven't done yet, but for all that I love City of Heroes and its storytelling, I have to recognise that - and this is still true - the gameplay doesn't do much for me anymore. By which I mean the combat. The fact my chief 50s are IO'd to the gills exacerbates this problem. 

The other reason is heartbreak, because I actually feel sad and depressed when logged in now. It may not be a rational reaction, but there it is. It's still almost painful to play, and will be until there's more hope.

This means I have to play in bursts, though it's likely I'll bite the bullet and make an effort to play more in the next few weeks - I'm starting to get over my angst. 

Admittedly this may not impact you, Logan, so much, given that like MatrixDragon/Matrix Dragon, DarkSeraphim, and MicroHue/Microshade, I operate in bizzaro alternate time.
-- Acyl
In my case it's a mix of busy and tired, although I've managed to get online several times in the last few days.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Acyl Wrote:In my case, it's a combination of depression and not wanting to avoid burnout. I know I'm gonna want to blitz a bunch of things I haven't done yet, but for all that I love City of Heroes and its storytelling, I have to recognise that - and this is still true - the gameplay doesn't do much for me anymore. By which I mean the combat. The fact my chief 50s are IO'd to the gills exacerbates this problem. 

The other reason is heartbreak, because I actually feel sad and depressed when logged in now. It may not be a rational reaction, but there it is. It's still almost painful to play, and will be until there's more hope.
No, I completely understand what you mean about the heartbreak. Believe me, I do. I'm no tough guy. I've wept more in the last two weeks than I have in the past two years. Even the reveal of the Mass Effect 3 ending only made me angry. This hurts far more. I honestly feel like I'm losing a home. Like someone is bulldozing my house. With everything in it. (And in the case of the Legendary Base, that's almost literal. I was PROUD of the work I and Zilem Kain had done. (And where is he, anyway?)) 

But most of those tears were in the first 4-5 days for me. I've decided to buckle down and get things done. I figure I'll have time for more thorough mourning after Nov 30. And I know it's going to devastate me. Because I fully intend to be there to the last second. But for now, I'm shoving it aside. There's not anywhere near enough time for it now.

Quote:Admittedly this may not impact you, Logan, so much, given that like MatrixDragon/Matrix Dragon, DarkSeraphim, and MicroHue/Microshade, I operate in bizzaro alternate time.

Heh. It's less of an issue than you might think. I sometimes feel I was either born with a circadian rhythm 6 hours too long or that I was simply born on the wrong side of the globe. Believe me, you get on at a time where your comfortable, half the time I'm going to be still on. Or can be. 

I really need to look into getting an instant messenger program again. I haven't used one since the early days of ICQ. 

Ransan

Logan Darklighter Wrote:I really need to look into getting an instant messenger program again. I haven't used one since the early days of ICQ. 
GTalk. It's free with GMail, either as part of the mail page, or on it's own client. I use it. DS uses it. Dren uses it. Baseload uses it. ZK uses it. And probably a bunch of other people I do not have in my email list use it, too.
As for me, I'm suffering from MMO torrets ATM. I'm on AO for an hour, then I'm on CO, then I'm on STO....I kinda shuffle around. COH usually in the mornings/afternoons (Central Time), though. Part of this is due to my Con Lag, though. Until Saturday, I was sleeping four hours for every three I was up, as my body was recuperating from a combination of exhaustion, dehydration, malnutrition, and possibly a minor case of Con Crud.
Acyl Wrote:The other reason is heartbreak, because I actually feel sad and depressed when logged in now. It may not be a rational reaction, but there it is. It's still almost painful to play, and will be until there's more hope.
This is a big thing for me. I'm watching the attempts to save the game, and I fully admit that seeing the posts about people's reactions to that drains me.

I'm working on soloing through Night Ward, just because it's content I've never finished and soloing story heavy content is easier for me than blitzing it on teams. But basic ennui really hurts my will to play. I haven't given up yet, but with other new games that would be taking my attention from CoX anyway hitting in the immediate future, it's hard to rally up the effort. Not to mention I'm GMing for a new pen and paper game that just started.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
I'm still around. Mostly on weekdays and weekday evenings pacific. I've been tinkering with CO a bit a couple of times the last few days, just to get back into the feel of it if its all I have come December.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

dark seraph

I put Diablo 2 on my computer and got sucked in by that, give me a few days and I'll be back.

I haven't left yet myself, i had been in my "CoH Break" i usually take before i abuse CoH during the chrstmas season at work.
Though, with the limited time left, I'll more than likely be active again this week.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
I'm still on, but I admit, I'm also suffering from the depression and heartbreak whenever I play. I haven't actually run a mission since the announcement, except for the team ITF last weekend. It just doesn't feel like it matters anymore. And that hurts.
I read all the posts on the CoHTitan forum, and I keep hoping they'll succeed. I'm not sure what I'll feel if Nov 30 comes around and the game is just gone... But if someone came out with a private server program and there was no reprieve for the legitimate game? Hell yes. Even if it's just standalone single player gaming. Even though that would also mean no new content.
So I'm of mixed feelings about the whole thing.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
And I'm in the "RRRRG No wanna be Freemium" mode. So I can get at the content behind the VIP gate.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
look around on amazon. find a copy of GVE or AE or one of the other old editions you never applied a code for. It worked for Logan/Atlantea

NO QUARTER!!!
Indeed. And they're going for cheap, too. Mine was only $6.75
Seriously though, who knows how many of those boxes are left out there? Might want to think about getting one really soon.
I am led to understand that if you're VIP right now you'll STAY VIP regardless of account status until the servers shut down on Nov 30.
Any idea on whether this still works?

-Morgan.
No, it doesnt. They have said the database is completely frozen. no new codes acccepted.

NO QUARTER!!!
Which means I have MUCH LESS TIME than I thought to get accomplished what I want - the iTrials and other incarnate/VIP only content. 

I can't be the only one here. Or if I am, can I please PLEASE get some of you who are still VIP until the middle of October, to come back and help with some iTrials? And some other content that's locked behind the VIP wall? 

I've just checked. I have until October 14th to complete EVERYTHING. Then they cut me off again.

I'm almost certainly not going to be able to do it on all my characters. But bare minimum I want to complete all the iTrials and get as many badges as I can from them as I can - including Master of Badges if at all possible - on Cyberman 8 and Kara Skye - my two main incarnates. 

I would also like to finish all iTrials that are specific story progressions  - not necessarily get all badges - just completions for story purposes - on Sassinak, my main Praetorian. Doesn't matter to me if she gets badges and all, I just want to be able to say that she went through the ENTIRE Praetorian plot from induction in powers division to taking down Emporer Cole to helping the refugees afterwards. I WANT that. Badly. 

And I've got a little over two weeks to do it now. Can I PLEASE get some help? Can we possibly get Terr and all you other guys playing Champions Online back for one final Legendary blowout? 

I'm also going to try and get onto the Beta Server to check out any content that's there and not on live. Some of that can take place after I'm cut off, because I understand that it's mid-level stuff. But if there's any Incarnate stuff that's on i24 and not live, let me know if I'm missing it?

Why do I want the badges so much? Well when all is said and done, I want to be able to copy my characters with the Sentinel tool. And then hope that CoH survives by being either picked up by a new company or goes to private servers. That info will be intact. In theory. No guarantees of course. 

But that's what I'm shooting for. 
*nods* I can help with this. Wont be on tonight or tomorrow, but any time I'm around I'll help.

NO QUARTER!!!
I'm still around, with my Water blaster inching towards 50. I'll drop off the reservation the third week of October, but will be back up by the 25th. If I have the time, I'm open for any TFs or trials that anyone needs filled (I think I still need Manticore for the badge, plus the extraneous ones).
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Doing the all the iTrials would be fun purely from being able to experience all the story arc material. But they require a certain minimum number of people. Will enough people be on at a time who are looking for Incarnate Trials fill up a group?
I'm in the situation of having automatic points filling up the market. I *could* pick up the Nature Affinity powerset... but do I want to really get pumped with a new AT, only to lose it a couple of months later?
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
I haven't really left. I've just been busy with things that were planned before the hammer fell. I'll likely be more active in a month or so when the activity calms down here.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI