Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Alien Races in IST
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is a thread about the races in IST.  I'll start with the first two races, listed in I.S.T., and then see about converting some of the other races from GURPS Aliens.

Kyz (GURPS I.S.T. pgs 32-35)
44 points

Attributes Modifiers:  IQ +1 [20], DX +1 [20], HT -1 [-10].

Advantages:  Appearance (Attractive) [4], Acute Vision +3 [6], Empathy (Psionic, -10%) [14].

Disadvantages:  Shyness (Mild) [-5], Truthfulness [-5].
And, I needed to make a change to the Meeranon . . . I forgot to give them fur in the other thread . . ..  D'oh!
Meeranon (GURPS I.S.T. pgs 35-40)65 points

Attribute Modifiers:  ST +2 [20].

Advantages:  Acute Hearing +3 [6], Acute Taste/Smell +3 [6], Claws (Sharp) (Switchable, +10%) [6], Combat Reflexes [15], DR 1 (Tough Skin, -10%) [3], Mind Reading (Psionic, -10%; Telecommunication, -20%) [21], Teeth (Sharp) [1], Telecommunication (Telesend) (Psionic, -10%) [27].

Perks:  Fur [1]

Disadvantages:  Code of Honor (Meeranar) [-10], Overconfidence (12-) [-5], Duty (Clan, 9-) [-5], Impulsiveness [-10], Sense of Duty (Clan) [-10]
Do they need claws?  If so, should they be sharp or blunt?  (I feel they should be Claws (Sharp) (Switchable, +10%) [6], but that's just me.)  Also, an argument could be made that they don't need Mind Reading.  Or, that it should not have the Telecommunication limitation.
ETA:  Updated to add claws and cost for change. ETA2:  Added Sharp Teeth--good catch Asta Kask.
You know, I don't think I ever thought about whether they're clawed or not... The original WW character who spawned the Meeranon didn't explicitly have claws, IIRC, but it makes sense that as a race they would -- switchable, as you note. As for the Mind Reading, it sounds like the rules have changed slightly from what I used to play; I'll need to brush up and see what the functional differences are.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I had been giving claws to the Meeranon for a while, but, since I was actually rebuilding them here, I figure I could ask.
Mind Reading is exactly what it says on the tin:  The ability to read minds.
Characters, pg 69 Wrote:If you win, you can “hear” everything the subject says, subvocalizes, or actively thinks about as a voice in your head.
Emphasis from book.
Telecommunications (Telesend) (pg 91) is the ability to project your thoughts into someone else's mind.
To ransack someone's mind is Mind Probe (pg 69), and to control someone is (obviously) Mind Control (pgs 68-69).
Hm. Let me think on this.
-- Bob
---------
Can you actually have both a Duty and a Sense of Duty to your Clan and get full points for both?
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Yes. Or at least you could in 3rd ed. A Sense of Duty compels you to behave in certain strictly defined ways under certain circumstances -- it restricts your freedom to choose courses of action. A Duty is a service you are required to perform -- in GURPS this is long-term, like being career Army or the guardian of a child. The two can complement each other, but are really not dependent upon or exclusive of each other.
-- Bob
---------
Shepherd Wrote:Can you actually have both a Duty and a Sense of Duty to your Clan and get full points for both?

Yes, you can. A Sense of Duty is an internal, personal feeling which compels you to act in a certain way. A Duty is, quite simply, a job.

It would be possible for a soldier to have Duty: Army, and Sense of Duty (Squad). (In many cases this is actively encouraged.)

Basically, even if the Meeran isn't under their Clan-Duty obligation, the SoD requires that they will always act in the best interest of the Clan.

Last Free Human

Bob Schroeck Wrote:You know, I don't think I ever thought about whether they're clawed or not... The original WW character who spawned the Meeranon didn't explicitly have claws, IIRC, but it makes sense that as a race they would -- switchable, as you note. As for the Mind Reading, it sounds like the rules have changed slightly from what I used to play; I'll need to brush up and see what the functional differences are.
I always envisioned them as having claws myself, and was kind of surprised during a recent re-read to find they didn't explicitly have them. Personally I could go both ways, since I could see sense in them having become less and less useful as they developed technology. On the other paw, I always feel cat people need claws as just a stylistic thing. I blame too much anime, myself.

-Mike
Michael R. Smith (lastfreehuman@gmail.com)
GURPS IST Aleph Wordpress (http://istaleph.wordpress.com/)
GURPS IST Aleph Twitter (http://twitter.com/IstAleph/)
Trek This! Wordpress (http://dthiller.wordpress.com/)
My Blog (http://lastfreehuman.wordpress.com/)
I'm fine with claws, really.
-- Bob
---------
All right; have added claws to the Meeranon.
Before I go about converting any more alien races (I've already got the Kaa translated, for my own game, which is now on hold), do we know if SJGames would be okay with us "stealing" those races from 3e and updating them for 4e?
I've never had a problem before with lifting things from other books -- hell, I incorporated SuperTemps and SuperScum wholesale into the IST continuity after they were written. Go ahead and do it, I'll add a bit in the outline for them, and if SJG has a problem they'll let me know and we just won't include them in the writing.
-- Bob
---------
Alrighty then. I'll see about doing an update to The Blue Demon as well.
I've been talking with Gold & Appel, Inc. from the Big GURPS board (and the local, Denver GURPS board) about the Blue Demon. 
What type of Blue Demon are you looking for?
Are you looking for a faithful translation update from 3e (whose point total skyrocketed)?  Are you looking for something in the same (1k) point range?  Are you just looking for a stat block and dang the point total?
A faithful translation, please. The Blue Demon is never going to be a PC, and is something akin to a malicious force of nature. Its point total really doesn't matter except to give a sense of its challenge level.
-- Bob
---------
In that case, I'm more tempted to just create a Stat Box (Dungeon Fantasy style). Without worry for point-balancing or even point costs. I'll see where it takes me.
Kaa (GURPS Aliens pgs 64-67)-3 points
Attribute Modifiers:  +1 ST [10]
Advantages:  Ambidexterity [5], Claws (Blunt) [3], Constriction Attack [15], Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin) [6], Poison Bite: Sharp Teeth [1], Toxic Attack 2d (Cyclic, 1 hour, 5 cycles, resistible; Follow-up, Sharp Teeth; Resistible, HT-3) [10], Racial Skill Bonus (Interrogation +1) [2], Racial Skill Bonus (Strategy +1) [2], Vermiform (Double Jointed [15], No Legs (Slithers) [0]), Voice [10]
Disadvantages:  Bad Sight [-25], Bully [-10], Code of Honor (avenge all insults, slay all enemies) [-15], Cowardice [-10], Delusion (gaudy display impresses everyone) [-10], Odious Racial Habit (will eat sentients) [-10], Reputation -2 [-10]
Racial Skills:  Hypnotism [8]
ETA:  Forgot DR.
Kronin (GURPS Aliens pgs 68-71)30 points

Attribute Modifiers:  +1 DX [20]

Advantages:  Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin) [3], Danger Sense (Psionic) [14], Mind Reading (Psionic, Telecommunication) [21], Telecommunication (Telesend, Psionic) [27]

Disadvantages:  Bloodlust (12) [-10], Code of Honor (Kronin) [-15], Fanatic (Warrior Code) [-15], Honesty (9) [-15], Sense of Duty (Kronin) [-10]

Racial Skills:  Beam Weapons (Blaster) [2], Broadsword [2], Karate [4], Shield (Force) [2]
Marksann (GURPS Aliens pgs 72-75)-15 points

Attribute Modifiers:  +1 DX [20], HT -1 [-10]

Advantages:  Acute Smell and Taste +2 [4], Extra Arms 2 (No Physical Attack) [10], Flexibility [5], High TL +2 [10], Night Vision 5 [5], Peripheral Vision [15], Temperature Tolerance 9 (41 colder, 40 warmer) [9]

Perks:  Fur [1]

Disadvantages: Color Blindness [-10], Delusion (The Markann are the universe’s most-evolved race) [-10], Fanatic (Markann Quest) [-15], Intolerance (Lower-TL Races) [-5], Odious Racial Habits (cannibalism, vivisection, sadistic experimentation, etc.) [-15], Overconfidence (9) [-15], Reputation -1 [-5], Sadism [-15]

Racial Skills:  Climb [2], Pilot (Contragravity) [2], Stealth [2]
--Decided against giving the the crippling -2 to HT.  -1 is bad enough, and they've already lost 70 points due to point values changing. 

Asta Kask

Mark Skarr Wrote:All right; have added claws to the Meeranon.
Kromm has told me that you don't really need Switchable for cats' claws, because it's still obvious that the claws are there. The retractability isn't for concealment - it's for keeping the claws sharp, preventing wear and tear. Now, if you had claws like Wolverine, and they retracted and weren't obvious once retracted, then Switchable would be necessary. But not for emulating cats' claws.
Say, has anyone done a conversion of the Rynkarians from Supertemps yet?
-- Bob
---------
I hadn't.  Timekeeper doesn't really list a racial template.  Knowing how much is him and how much is racial isn't really detalied.  I could take a shot at it.  They have the racial ability to boost ST and Basic Speed.

It would, basically be:Strength Boost +x ST (no HP) (Costs 4 FP, -20%; Psionic -10%) for a total of 5.6 points per point of ST boost.Speed Boost +x (Costs 4 FP, -20%; Psionic -10%) for a total of 3.5 points per quarter-point of Basic Speed boost.

The "per minute" is built into the limitation in 4e.  And, since the description of his powers, in his history, mentions that they're partially psionic, it makes sense to give them the "Psionic" power modifier, which comes with the "Leaves Mental Signature."

The Vulnerability to Electricity may or may not be racial.
Nah, don't bother. I didn't include them in the first edition, and I was just wondering if it would be worth it to include them in the new one. Side effect of working on the ET chapter in the outline.
-- Bob
---------
Gotcha. Do you have any races you want me to work on?
Pages: 1 2