Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: General logistical questions for IST25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I put this here so I didn’t have to clutter up other threads with strange questions about the logistics of writing for Steve Jackson Games, and what we could or couldn’t pull from.  Also, it’s a good place to put generic, rules- and system-based questions and discussions.

First, what is the likely-hood of being allowed to pull Pyramid Articles into the function of the game?

In Pyramid 3-34 David Pulver’s “Eidetic Memory” article, “Extreme Damage,” should fit right into IST.  I’ve actually been uses those rules (along with Multiplicative Modifiers) to have a more-super, supers game.  It’s on pages 24-25.

If you don’t have 3-34, Bob, I can see about PayPal-ing you some fundage to pick it up, as I can’t buy a hard copy and mail it to you.

Second, there are, at least, four enhancements from GURPS Psionic Powers that, I feel, would need to be copied over.  The four I can, just off the top of my head, identify that would be needed are:“Faster Concentration” and “Improved” for Jumper, and “Rationalization” and “Slow and Sure” for Mind Control.  There are, to be sure, other good ones as well.  Those four are just right next to each other (and I was looking for “Improved” and saw the other three in a quick glance).

Is that part of the original paper run of Pyramid? I may well have it. Maybe... After I look at it I'll decide if I want to ask SJG about using the stuff.

And I'll check out the enhancements. Using stuff from other GURPS books is almost certainly OK, if we're not copying vast quantities of text.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Anything titled "Pyramid #3/xx" is an e23 original. Pyramid #3/34: Alternate GURPS is available here.

There's a kludge to give someone an e23 release, but the kludge works better if you have an e23 account already. (No need to tell us what it is, just whether it exists or not...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Mm. I think I must have, since I get comps that way...
-- Bob
---------

cleverwings

Not quite sure if this is the correct thread, but here goes. For logistics and funding you might check with Steve Jackson Games about running a Kickstarter for the book. This appears to be an effective way to gauge of market viability/response. Something to think about in all your free time. Smile Secondly, I have wondered why GURPS uses one stat (Intelligence) for all mental & social situations & three for physical. Personally the 3x3 grid appeals to me (taken from White Wolf):
Physical stats     Social stats           Mental statsStrength             Presence               IntelligenceDexterity           Manipulation        WitsStamina            Composure            Resolve
These make up the Power/Flexible/Endure stats for the areas of Physical, Social, & Mental. This makes all three areas of stats important and equal. To compensate for having more stats you may wish to give starting characters a 25% to 50% bonus XP used for stats only. Although a reasonable cap for Strength (it costs 0.5 per level at high super levels) could help. Or as some people have said a damage cap per attack. Additionally, Dexterity might cost double since the ability to hit & not be hit is all Dexterity rolls, thus important to living.
Finally, I haven't played GURPS official rules since second edition. Take everything here with a grain of salt & don't overwork yourself.
cleverwings Wrote:Not quite sure if this is the correct thread, but here goes. For logistics and funding you might check with Steve Jackson Games about running a Kickstarter for the book. This appears to be an effective way to gauge of market viability/response. Something to think about in all your free time. Smile
I refer you to these SJGames Forums posts by http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=42]Matt Rigsby and http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=60]David Pulver, two freelance GURPS writers who are currently better-known amongst GURPS players than Bob is...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
two freelance GURPS writers who are currently better-known amongst GURPS players than Bob is...
Well, I have been out of circulation for a decade or so now...  
-- Bob
---------
Yeah, we've got to figure out a way to get you writing again...
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, we've got to figure out a way to get you writing again...
Isn't that what I just did?  ;-)
Details, details...
--
Rob Kelk

All right. Got a copy of Creatures of the Night . . . now I just need to get a new mailer and get it sent out. Prolly this weekend, though, if we're lucky, maybe Thursday.
You're very kind, Mark. You really don't have to do stuff like this, you know -- I'm not impoverished, I'm just overwhelmed by life -- but believe me, I appreciate it.
-- Bob
---------
Well, yeah. But, I want IST25 . . . so I'm going to do everything I can to stack the deck in favor of getting it.
;-)
ETA:  MonkeyFist had some spare book mailers lying around, so, I'm going to try to get this in the mail tonight (when I go to lunch at about 1900 MT).
ETA2:  Sent.
Again, thank you.
-- Bob
---------

cleverwings

I refer you to these SJGames Forums posts Matt Rigsby and David Pulver
Thanks.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Again, thank you.
You're welcome.

Hopefully, you'll have it by Friday. Not that I expect you to have time to read it for several days . . . er . . . weeks. Months? You'll probably see Steve before you have time to read it.