Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Progress, in very vague terms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's taking me longer than I anticipated, but the outline is 20K long at this point (Steve and other SJG personnel once commented on how detailed my/our outlines were at a convention panel, years ago ).  It is, I estimate, about 90% complete.  I need to finish outlining the six or so pages on 2000-2015, and the chapter on 2015 itself ("The World Today") -- both of which are dependent upon me finally deciding upon most of the broad strokes of the late timeline -- along with some game-mechanical stuff for the Characters page.  I also have to confirm a few bits of data from other books which I've left marked with XXXXXs, and come up with a few new small/fringe organizations for the modern era.
And then I have to write a 5000-word passage from somewhere in the middle of it all.
So far, so good.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Do I need to send you any other books? I'm a fairly decent research monkey (a skill I've used against Kromm a time or two).

If I could make a suggestion (and without seeing your outline at all), you may want to have the same number of pages for 2000-2010 and an additional couple of pages for 2010-2015.

However, having never done an outline like you're doing, I have no idea.
Thank you, Mark, but I have everything I think I need at this point. It's just a matter of outlining what I'm going to do at the right level of detail and deciding on a few names for personalities (who're the American presidents after Buchanan? All I know is that they're all going to be major divergences, possibly nobody on the political scene in OTL) as well as skills (what to call the scientific, engineering and other skills associated with the Unified Theory of Magic). And of course writing the sample. Oddly enough, they don't seen to want the back cover blurb any more.

One thing maybe you (or someone else reading this) might know off the top of your head -- I could swear I saw the IST world given the designation "Krypton" in some official Infinite Worlds material somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it. (It's certainly not the 4-page PDF thingie.) And "Kirby" somewhere else, but that might have been fan material. Would you happen to know for sure about either or both? Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
I don't recall seeing either name, which means they're either in Pyramid articles or on fan pages...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well. Google can be your friend, if you have the time. There are http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=98920]two http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=2]references on the SJGames board to the IST world being officially called "Krypton" in 3E, one from last year and one from 2005. I'm wondering if it wasn't in the 3E Time Travel book, maybe...

A http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Worlds_of_Infinite_Worlds]GURPS Wikia page lists a "Krypton-2" with a link to a Pyramid article I can't see at the moment.

And the OP in that first SJGames link also remembers "Kirby"... You know, I think I'll stick with "Krypton".
-- Bob
---------
Krypton-2, the "good" IST world, remains undiscovered. This is the dimension Bob Schroeck was able to see most clearly.

Let me know if the link doesn't work. I had to dance around to get to that location. So, I saved it as an .MHT.

That article discusses Krypton, with that little snippet explaining Krypton-2.
As for Kirby . . . I can't find my copy of Best of Pyramid, where it's supposedly located. That one's not available from e23. Grr.
ETA:  Sometimes, you just have to stop looking before you find it.  Kirby-2.
I'm likely to be indisposed for a little bit. Just had a tooth break on me and I don't know what state I'll be in the next couple of days. I'm good right now, but, after the dentist, there's no telling.
Go take care of it and pamper yourself afterwards. I'll get along just fine. And thank you for the links -- I think since this is deuterocanonical, being Pyramid, I'll jigger the nomenclature and have IST be Krypton and Evil IST Krypton-2. Just to keep things straight.
-- Bob
---------
Well, I've got an emergency tooth extraction and root canal tomorrow morning (noon MDST is early morning for me). Then, we'll figure out what we're doing with the implant after that.

I'll apologize, in advance, in case I get on line tomorrow and ramble.

On topic: I don't think you'd even need to have Krypton-2. Krypton seems to be just different enough from IST-2 (E-e-e-evil IST) that it could be it's own timeline--like Kirby.

Especially considering that they state Krypton-2 has not been found.
Implant? Are you getting cybernetic teeth? (Rather boring origin story, though...)
--
Rob Kelk

Tooth, but yes.

I even commented on that: "I'll go with the implant because then I can be a cyborg!"

The doctor laughed.

DR 10, tooth 4 only.

Gold And Appel Inc

Mark Skarr Wrote:Tooth, but yes.

I even commented on that: "I'll go with the implant because then I can be a cyborg!"

The doctor laughed.

DR 10, tooth 4 only.

DR 10? Surely they can pack a tiny radio or hypodermic w/ gum-mounted poison reservoir or something in there...

Asta Kask

One of them tooth thingys they had in Dune.
I went in early and they saw me early. So, I'm back already. It went so well, the doctor didn't have to do the root canal. Just some bone grafting to prep for the implant.

Marcaine is great. Though, I'm now starting to get sensation back and it's only been about 45 minutes . . . and that was the strongest stuff he had.

It sucks being immune to local anaesthetics.

Gold And Appel Inc

Mark Skarr Wrote:I went in early and they saw me early. So, I'm back already. It went so well, the doctor didn't have to do the root canal. Just some bone grafting to prep for the implant.

Congrats! See you Sunday?
From the "Progress, in very vague terms" thread, re J. Hunter Johnson's "Banestorming Infinity Unlimited":
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I think since this is deuterocanonical, being Pyramid
The general conceit of a multipolar dimension-war has been adopted into canon with 4e, along with at least specific detail -- Ed (now Ted) Gruberman's trip to Yrth (and back again) is canonized on p.IW150. 

My head-canon still includes Gruberman as Krypton's discoverer. Depending on the legalities, I'd like to be able to say officially that he found it while trying to reach the Wild Cards world, for two main reasons:
1) SJGames picking up the Wild Cards license was a key reason I got into GURPS;
2) a self-deprecatory nod to the time I contacted Bob on CompuServe, remarking on the parallels between the IST and Wild Cards worlds (specifically in the matter of White Tiger and Touchstone vs. Dr. Tachyon and Jube the Walrus), but blithely assuming, with the confidence of youth and ignorance, that it was a deliberate homage on his part rather than an interesting bit of parallel evolution.
Huh. Something else to look into. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Do I need to send you a copy of Infinite Worlds?  Or do you have that one?
I was about to say "Sure", but even though I can picture the damned thing something is making me uncertain. Let me get back to you on that.
-- Bob
---------
Mamorien Wrote:From the "Progress, in very vague terms" thread, re J. Hunter Johnson's "Banestorming Infinity Unlimited":
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I think since this is deuterocanonical, being Pyramid,
The general conceit of a multipolar dimension-war has been adopted into canon with 4e, along with at least specific detail -- Ed (now Ted) Gruberman's trip to Yrth (and back again) is canonized on p.IW150.
I can see why the name-change was made - we don't want trademark lawyers getting frantic, after all.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I was about to say "Sure", but even though I can picture the damned thing something is making me uncertain. Let me get back to you on that.
Do you have an account on the revamped Warehouse 23, Bob? I know they're working on a "buy as gift" function, but I suspect that would require the recipient to have an account.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
I was about to say "Sure", but even though I can picture the damned thing something is making me uncertain. Let me get back to you on that.
Well, I might have to send you my copy.  I have the PDF version as well (so, no big deal), but it's OOP, and people are wanting a lot for the few copies I can find.  I'll keep looking.
I had a guest over last night -- and far too many phone calls and favors for in-laws -- so I barely even saw the bookshelf where I'd have it. But I'm pretty damned sure I do. Please don't send anything -- especially not your own physical copy -- unless I say otherwise, please.
-- Bob
---------
I just went on the hunt last night. Haven't sent anything yet.
ETA:  Though, this weekend I'm heading to a store that just might have one or two of them left on the shelf.  Seeing how much some people are getting for them on eBay, I might snag them . . . just in case.
I was right, I do in fact already have a copy of IW, so no need to mail one off to me. Thank you, anyway.
-- Bob
---------
Pages: 1 2