Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Perfect Quote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been reading Aneko Yusagi's The Rising of the Shield Hero
recently. As I was reading vol. 5, a thought from the protagonist - one of several guys summoned from other worlds to handle that world's problems for them -- smacked me like a fish to the head at how appropriate it was for Otherearth
once Doug learns what Ginny and Hermione did:

"If this world has a god, I want to smack the hell out of him. He dropped me into this living hell. Don’t outsource for heroes!" - Naofumi Iwatani, The Rising of the Shield Hero Volume 5
Heh.

... I was going to explain my reaction, but I realized it's too big a spoiler.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
... and I suddenly understand how the Doctor feels. *pouts childishly*
"Yet, be warned; call not to you that which you may neither hold nor forbid."
-- Eleanor M. Ingram, The Thing from the Lake (1921)

(I knew this line only because it was used as the epigraph to one of  David Drake's books.)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Soutern Cross

Or, to quote H.P. Lovecraft, "Do not raise up what ye cannot put down"."There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"-Colonel VanHeusen , from "It! The Terror From Beyond Space"
I'm fussy about quotes from the Old Tory, so I'm going to go ahead and need to post the original quote from "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" (complete with the Olde spelling of the alleged Jedediah Orne):

"I say to you againe, doe not call up Any that you can not put downe; by the Which I meane, Any that can in Turne call up Somewhat against you, whereby your Powerfullest Devices may not be of use. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shal not wish to Answer, and shal commande more than you."
I was toying with acronyms, and my mind drifted into the Harry Potter 'verse, and I dreamed up a doozy:
V.ile O.ld L.ich of a D.eath E.ater M.enacing O.ur R.ealm of T.haumaturgy
-----
Ha!

I wonder if I can fit that in somewhere.

I'm definitely making room for an epithet someone here came up with -- "Voldemerde" -- I'm sure I can work yours in somewhere, too.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
With apologies to the Bard of Avon (or rather, avoD, in the proper orthography; it's a district on Qo'noS):"What's in a name?  That which we call a Voldemort, by any other name would smell as putrid."
-----
I don't recall: Have I pointed out the Sluggy Freelance take on this name yet?
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/080423
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/080424
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
(11-11-2016, 05:10 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]I'm definitely making room for an epithet someone here came up with -- "Voldemerde"

Oh! Sempai noticed me! Big Grin

Yeah, that's one of mine. It's been a long time since I checked stuff in this forum...
Hermione makes a mistake.
"Miss Granger, you have made an error!  You did not discover your mistake — you have made two errors!  You are flawed and imperfect, but you have not corrected the errors by sterilization!  Execute your prime function!"
Whether or not she's familiar with classic Trek, Hermione Granger is so indignant at the thought of getting caught being wrong that she explodes, leveling Hogwarts.  Rocks fall, everybody dies.

Yeah, this probably isn't such a great idea....
(07-09-2016, 01:43 AM)Soutern Cross Wrote: [ -> ]Or, to quote H.P. Lovecraft, "Do not raise up what ye cannot put down".

He's only half-formed and his Muggle parent dresses him funny.

Was that enough of a put-down? Smile
snrk
Stolen from a lonnnnnng-ago issue of Mad magazine:  when someone approaches and addresses you by name, but with that slight questioning intonation which so often creeps in even when there's no one else you could be...
"Certainly not.  I'm Dr. Richard Kimble; I'm looking for the one-armed man."

A bit of a change-up from claiming to be Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire, owner of a mansion and a yacht.

-----
Up, lad, up!  We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!
Well, right now that's going to be a running gag in DW-S, so I wouldn't want to repeat it elsewhere for a while anyway. The Kimble line is a great replacement.
Yes, I know I've taken my own sweet time — six years worth — about posting this, but... (Oh.  I should add, this is NOT a correction, but a word association.)

Quote:"The point has been raised before," the Headmaster acknowledged, "but the House system has worked well enough for the past thousand years that there is no great outcry to upset Tradition."

I swear he said that word with such a pronounced Capital Letter that I half-expected to hear the people of Anatevka sing it along with him. 

"At any rate, it's Tradition.  But tea parties on the ceiling!  I ask you!  Having tea parties on the ceiling!"
I was abruptly reminded today of a certain Monty Python sketch, and particularly of the fact that while one of the Piranha brothers was characterized as "a happy looney," the scarier Piranha was named Doug:

Quote:Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug.... He used... sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious.
So ... should Professor Sangnoir threaten to use sarcasm?

Edit: Deleted a suggestion that I realized too late wasn't really funny enough to justify inclusion. It wasn't insulting to anyone; it just wasn't all that funny.
... why did I never think of that quote? I've got to use it somewhere now. Thanks for the reminder!
I was imagining an insert character saying this to Hermione, but really it'd work with any English-speaking female the snarker was not altogether pleased to encounter a second time:

"Hello, Miss Granger.  You told me your name was Hermione, not Bad Penny."
This popped into my head, and even if it isn't workable for the story, I at least think it's funny enough to share:

Among the Muggle-born students at Hogwarts is (at least) one who neither bought into the propaganda against Harry nor is awed by him.  And he/she is sufficiently clever to have developed a good read on Doug's character, and thus judge how far one can safely take a bit of not-truly-disrespectful deadpan snarking with the Loon.  

Which is why, at some point after Hermione has gotten over distrusting our hero, this student encounters Doug, the Power Trio, and Ginny walking down a corridor together, and dares to wisecrack, "I gather these are 'those meddling kids.'  So" — to Doug — "you must be the Great Dane?" 

Unless Looney is in an unexpectedly bad mood just then, I anticipate his response will be, "Ruh-roh."  He might also give the snarker's house a few points for the joke.  The two of them will then probably have to explain the reference to the other four.

Edit:  I think I didn't do a proper job of conveying the tone the character would use in this jest.  I meant it to be plainly amiable; not sneering, but sharing the humor with them.
Hmmm.... In theory I suppose he could decide he identified more with Shaggy, but somehow I don't think so.

Bob???
I like it... dunno if I can fit it in -- I'd've rather established a character like that back in the last released chapter, during the first month of school -- but I'll see what I can do. And Doug would be perfectly fine with being Scooby for the purposes of clever repartee.
Bob:
No sweat if you can't find a place for it.  I'd encountered some rather depressing (though well done) artwork, so I posted that joke as much to cheer myself up as because I thought it might work in the story.  

Star Ranger4:
I figured, hey, it's four meddling kids and a Doug ... who else could he be?
(12-10-2019, 10:33 AM)DHBirr Wrote: [ -> ]Star Ranger4:
I figured, hey, it's four meddling kids and a Doug ... who else could he be?

woof.   Tongue
Pages: 1 2