Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Planet Death
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HoagieOfDoom

"Dead Heart In A Dead World"
by Nevermore
from the album Dead Heart In A Dead World
5:05
---
To see the last survivor fall
To see their bastards sons against the wall
To see the emptiness as we decay
I see the world is dead, I am betrayed
Dead heart in a dead world
Dead heart in a dead world
This rotten hole that I call home bled dry again
This lesion marked upon my soul
Left an empty hanging man
Across the fields, into the sea
To find the light from within
Out of this lake I've tried to crawl
I think I'm there and then again I fall
Again I fall
Burn your gods and kill the king
Subjugate your suffering
Dead heart, in a dead world
We must remember wounds so deep
Take time to heal
And sometimes though we struggle still
Life seems surreal
Emotions turned to cold dead wood
Can still have life once more
The door that slammed upon your heart
Torn away, torn away
Subjugate your suffering
Subjugate your suffering
---
Power: Over the course of the song, whatever world Doug happens to be on literally dies. For the duration, Doug is emotionless towards everything.
The only possible time where I can envision Doug using something like this would be on a world that has lost all hope of recovery or that is about to be subjugated by an evil something-or-other. In those situations, the "merciful" death of everyone on the planet would need to outweigh the consequences of not using it. Furthermore, if Doug does have this, it would probably be under tighter lock and key than "Chickasaw Mountain" because it totally suppresses any emotions he may have, and thus taking away the decision to turn it off.
I don't see this ever making it into a story or game session, considering that it makes for an automatically bad ending unless someone can forcefully turn off his helmet or whatever other source is playing the song.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Way, way, way too big an AOE. Doug cannot affect an entire world, unless it was immensely smaller than even the Land of the Lost.
Everything in his standard AOE, though... that's... abusive but interesting. If I were implementing for game use, I'd say sentients and plot-important animals defend against Death Ray, and unimportant animals and plant life automatically die.
-- Bob
---------
Visit beautiful Boston, proud successor to Seattle as
"City Most Scared Of Its Own Shadow

HoagieOfDoom

Huh. I wasn't aware that Doug's power had any limits whatsoever; I assumed that as long as he had the necessary music, he could do it. What exactly are the limits of his song-based powers? I don't remember an FAQ entry pertaining that?
www.venganza.org
There's an item in the FAQ that says:
Quote:
Many songs produce powers that affect everyone or everything within about 34 meters indiscriminately.
And I recall a discussion of a Godzilla-simulacrum song that ran aground on the fact -- specifically stated by Bob, in that thread -- that 300-meter-tall Godzilla wouldn't fit in his AOE.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

HoagieOfDoom

Ah, gotcha. I must have missed it. Thanks.*********
www.venganza.org
Quote:
Many songs produce powers that affect everyone or everything within about 34 meters indiscriminately.
Just as a matter of explanation, the 34-meter range isn't exactly arbitrary -- it's the metric conversion of an imperial value for the radius generated by a function of both his intelligence and endurance scores. But I'm damned if I can remember the formula right now -- it wasn't anything standard from the rules, but rather something Kat and I worked up the night I created Looney.
-- Bob
---------
Visit beautiful Boston, proud successor to Seattle as
"City Most Scared Of Its Own Shadow