Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: E Nomine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Loki Laufeyjarson

After finding a snippet from E Nomine as the random quote on the main page the other day and then having sweno link Mary Sue's Theme with an E Nomine song in his sig, I got to think.
Could there be a power in there somwhere? Aside from the language barrier of having even the few translated songs still be half in Latin there is also the problem that most of their songs have Christian references and bible quotes. It has already been made clear that religious themes might be a bit problematic so things like E Nomine's version of the Lord's Prayer are probably out. Although it does sound really cool.
A few songs that are not based on biblical stuff are using themes from older other religions and mythologies instead and would be just as bad, but there are some songs that don't call upon any gods.

Wolfen (Das Tier In Mir) (The Animal In Me) seems pretty straight foreward in turning Doug into a werewolf. Perhaps some area effects of creating (an illusion of) the moonlit forrest mentioned in the latin part (perhaps even inducing other weres present to change):
Silva in lumine
Lunae arcana est
Domus mea
Silva in lumine
Stellarum est

Downside would be the possible (blood)lust and loss of control mentioned in the German lyrics. So it probably wouldn't be any good in a situation with lots of innocent civilians wandering around.

Mitternacht (Midnight) probably wouldn't do much other than making it look like it is midnight and giving everyone present the mildly uncomfortable feeling that they were better of at home with the door firmly locked and bolted. It would turn as dark as if it was the middle of the night and all clocks would strike twelve as in the lyrics.
Media nox obscura nox
crudelitas animarum
campana sonat
duo decies

This of course has limited everyday use unless you are planing to do something like faking out a large group of vampires. Song starts and all the vampires in the area rise ot of their lairs while everybody else gets frightened and seeks safety. Song is stopped or finishes after a few minutes and suddenly everything turns back to noramal again possibly including daylight. Might also be useful if you have an ally with a sun-allergy.

Die Schwarzen der Reiter (The Black Horsemen) a lesser known song of E Nomine. It has only a small latin part in the background that basically just says "I am a demon" while the narrators warns us of a group of black riders who are on a quest for a golden ring. He starts out as if he was going to recite Goethe's famous 'Erlkoenig' poem, but then just tells you to run for your life. I can't help but think that this would summon a simulacrum of one or several of Tolkien's Ringwraith (even if I understand that it is probably at least partially referencing to Valkyries searching for Draupnir and not Nazgul questing for the one ring.) If the latin part is given to much weight the song might turn Doug into a black rider instead. Control and collateral damage might be an issue in either case, but if you ever need a not so friendly cavalry unit or really need to find something like a small golden ring sending out these black riders would be an option.
Language really is the problem here; E Nom is great, but it's almost exclusively in German and Latin. I found one song that's in English (a remix of 'Vater Unser', which still had some Latin in it), and have already mentioned it. Heck, I mailed it off to the Fearless Leader (He Who Must Be Amusing, himself).
If I've missed any songs that are in languages that Doug understands, let us all know; it'd be great to have more E Nomine involved.
(Too bad he doesn't know Latin- it'd be too much fun to throw 'One-Winged Angel' out, and see what happens...)Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
No, Doug is limited to English, Japanese, French and Valdemaran. And quite honestly, for the purposes of keeping the stories more accessible to the average reader, I'm trying to stick with songs in English only.
That said, E Nomine's works certainly have a place in the Walk, if only as inspirations and possible soundtracks. Just about anything by them that I have on CD in the car insists it would be the perfect background music for the final confrontation with the Death Eaters in the Harry Potter Step, for instance. Or they assure me that their Latin parts would make wonderful spells for Hogwarts students to fling at baddies. And Mitternacht can spawn an extended daydream about a noncontinuity battle between Doug and the cube Angel from Evangelion, complete with every clock
in Tokyo-3 -- including the system clocks on the MAGI -- spooling up to 12:00 and staying there for three+ minutes while Doug counters great big energy beams with great big holes of Darkness...
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...