Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A particularly nasty song power
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Van Halen's Jump (lyrics)
Everyone in the area of effect feels a compulsion to suicide, preferably by jumping off a building.
I'd say this is one of the "Off-Limits Songs"...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Kokuten

man I just can't see it..
that song has always been a pedal to the metal power chord orgy of adrenaline and smiles for me.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
It brings out a similacra of the Energizer Bunny against Doug's opponent.
I can see Doug using this in the Sailor Moon Step.
Try imagining a fight against a youma or DK general against the Energizer bunny...
Or either jumping powers.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
*/ The Pretenders, "My City Was Gone", 5:25 /*
I went back to ohio
But my city was gone
There was no train station
There was no downtown
South howard had disappeared
All my favorite places
My city had been pulled down
Reduced to parking spaces
A, o, way to go ohio
Well I went back to ohio
But my family was gone
I stood on the back porch
There was nobody home
I was stunned and amazed
My childhood memories
Slowly swirled past
Like the wind through the trees
A, o, oh way to go ohio
I went back to ohio
But my pretty countryside
Had been paved down the middle
By a government that had no pride
The farms of ohio
Had been replaced by shopping malls
And muzak filled the air
From seneca to cuyahoga falls
Said, a, o, oh way to go ohio
Hmm. 'My City Was Gone', eh? I wonder what *that* would do?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Well... my guess would be a Mall of Ankh-Morpork effect disintegrating everything inanimate in his aoe and leaving only atiny parking lot and a jewelry cart, the affected area then spreading outward at high speed with a mall springing up in the middle until he runs out of power or the song ends. Very handy when stuck in desolate wastelands with no shopping, like Vermont. Buffy's new favorite song!
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I don't think that it'd be that destructive- what about phasing the city out, in the manner you suggested (AOE first, rapidly expanding to the edge of town), leaving everybody still there (people above ground are moved to ground level), but removing the city in a way the could easily be mistaken for its destruction. As the song reaches the end, the city is put back, piece by piece. Added effect- the people of the city see the problems with each piece, and everything which its existence has screwed up (sort of a 'second thoughts' effect) as it reappears. By the end, the city is back, in all its soulless, grimy unpleasantness, and full of people who are, for the first time in *years*, if ever, seeing this.Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

I've been writing a bit.
All I can say is that for either one, he'd better have a major node to draw on... For that matter, I was mainly visualising using it in a relatively rural setting, even if it's no more than a park or small town - the bits about pretty countryside being gone fueling the image.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I was mostly drawing on the title and the first verse.Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

I've been writing a bit.
Never mind this one- I need it for my current project. It has an effect, but that won't be revealed for a while.Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

I've been writing a bit.
Check with Bob about new song effects. He's vetoed a couple that I was considering using in my Stagger, but most of my ideas get his blessing...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I'd tell you why I'm not worried about that, but that would just give everything away. Rest assured, though, that this song has a specific, non-combat use, of a type and power level that has already been approved and used multiple times.
Have you figured it out yet? If so, don't tell what it is- I don't want it to be widely known yet. I will check before I use it, just to make sure the lyrics fit my purpose, but the purpose, itself, is implicitly approved by the base concept of the metafic.Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

I've been writing a bit.