Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A "Killer" of a song
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bmull

A quick search didn't find this one suggested before, so here goes:
"(Dont' Fear) The Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult
(Don't Fear) The Reaper
by Donald Roeser
1976 B. O'Cult Songs, Inc.
All our times have come
Here - but now there - gone
Seasons dont fear the reaper
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain
We can be like they are
Come on, baby
Dont fear the reaper
Baby, take my hand
Dont fear the reaper
Well be able to fly
Dont fear the reaper
Baby, Im your man
La, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la
Valentine is done
Here but now theyre gone
Romeo and Juliet
Are together in eternity
Romeo and Juliet
Forty thousand men and women everyday
Like Romeo and Juliet
Forty thousand men and women everyday
Redefine happiness
Another forty thousand comin everyday
We can be like they are
Come on, baby
Dont fear the reaper
Baby, take my hand
Dont fear the reaper
Well be able to fly
Dont fear the reaper
Baby Im your man
La, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la
Love of two is one
Here but now theyre gone
Came the last night of sadness
And it was clear that she couldnt go on
And the door was open and the wind appeared
The candles blew and then disappeared
The curtains flew and then he appeared
Saying dont be afraid
Come on, baby
And she had no fear
And she ran to him
Then they started to fly
They looked backward and said goodbye
She had become like they are
She had taken his hand
She had become like they are
Come on, baby
Dont fear the reaper

I envision this as turning Doug in to a modified version of the Shishi Gami from "Mononoke Himi." If you've seen the movie, where the Shishi Gami walks the ground bursts into life, the life flurishes and then dies, all during each step. By the time the Shishi Gami raises his hoof the gound is dead. In this case, everything Doug touches dies; the plants in the ground, the bacteria in the air, everything. A downfall is that *everything* he touches dies, even his friends and allies. It would be one of those songs that would be used as a last resort.
Alternatively, it could make Doug and his team members immune to death. If they get killed, they just revive and keep going, or they just can't be killed. You could make it so they take damage but, if the damage gets bad enough to kill them, they regenerate to fight some more. Closer to the "growth/death" cycle from the movie.
Brian

HoagieOfDoom

Or, considering the composite cosmology of OMB, it could actually summon the grim reaper. Or the OMB equivalent.
Alternatively, could it possibly summon Death from Discworld?*********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
All of these soud like effects too powerful in a gaming sense for Doug... Giving him, um, "death-sight" on the other hand, in the sense of seeing if someone's about to die and any supernaturals who happen to be around to do there job of carting off the souls of the deceased (or intefere with said job), might do it. Useful in a Bleach or Full Moon wo Sagashite step, probably less so most anywhere else, except certain bits of DCU or Discworld continuity.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
Or, considering the composite cosmology of OMB, it could actually summon the grim reaper. Or the OMB equivalent.
Why do I see a girl like Hotaru Tomoe..in a modified Sailor Saturn outfit showing up?..it sounds something like Fujishima would come up with.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:
Why do I see a girl like Hotaru Tomoe..in a modified Sailor Saturn outfit showing up?..it sounds something like Fujishima would come up with.
True. Actually, what I'd be half hoping for would be a Gaiman cameo. ^_^
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:
As opposed to a Rei Omishi crossover, where playing the song sumons up a six-inch-tall female shinigami named "Risky".
(Which is also something Fujishima-san would come up with, considering his take on trolls...)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
Oddly enough, the Anime Addventure has a thread called "No Tendo" that includes an episode entitled "Don't Fear The Reaper" which focuses partly on a painting of Hotaru called exactly that.
"No Tendo" is still a live thread, btw, and worth looking at, if you care to go to the Addventure.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03

WengFook

*Has an odd idea*
what if.... the song pulls the aspect of death wherever Doug is to him? if he were in the Gaiman universe then he'd get goth Death, if he were in the discworld then he'd get Death the grim reaper and so on and so on....
either that.... or it randomly pulls one of the various incarnations of death to him, cross realities too if possible Big Grin
possibly they would appear either as a see-through hologramy
kinda deal, or as a full solid body manifestation of the Aspect.
Powers that any death would have is totally up to the storyteller Big Grin
it wouldn't really do anything except let Doug talk to.... Death! Big Grin _____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Quote:
it wouldn't really do anything except let Doug talk to.... Death! Big Grin
What, no games of chess or Twister?
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Or discussion of Ingmar Bergman movies?

-- Bob
---------
Or discussing that REALLY bad career move, leaving him worse offf than Keanu's other co-star in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.
Whether you're a king or a little street-sweeper
Sooner or later, you'll dance with the Reaper.
Fun question, does any representation of Death that Doug's dealt with have a sorta Jamaican accent?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Doug's only involvement with death has been as a delivery agent.

-- Bob
---------