Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Rocket Launcher
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They were called Katyushas, but we called them Stalin's Organs
200 MM devastating fire
When streets hiss, and falling block, kisses desperate flesh
Stukas plunging, as skylines reform
Spreading madness, in the gun factory
Which had become something of a rallying point in the last few days
I can tell they fear us, by the way they fire
We infiltrate, we wade through hip-deep filth
And then we come at them from below
Now that your name has been changed, will any remember your name?
And why was I, so led away?
And what secret laid?
In the blood soaked block
On the fountain made...
Return, return, return
-GWAR, "Stalin's Organs"

Can see this one summoning up a Soviet BM-8 or BM-13 "Katyusha" rocket launcher, described in this Wikipedia article.
--The Twisted One
It's East European, it's West European/It's moving so fast it goes all the way 'round
--Shriekback "Fish Below the Ice"
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
Chaos, are you trying to bring back my nightmares, Twisted1?
Of course, it's best used if Doug wants to deal out some very indiscriminate damage. Would the song magically reload the launchers for a second salvo -- would it last long enough for the launchers to be reloaded -- or could it only get off one salvo per playing?
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

HoagieOfDoom

Y'know, I was expecting your basic recoiless rifle or bazooka when I clicked that link. I definitely wasn't expecting *THAT*.
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
Thank's to my reading of Commando comics (and C&C Red Alert - I thinks), oh and WW2 films, I was vaguely aware of what weapon system the lyrics refered to. Just the name escaped me. I wouldn't be too suprised if some units when compaired to a certain Battletech/Mechwarrior vehicle units, would put their missile packs to shame.
--Rod.H (whoes having trouble loggin' on)
"Frell, just what email address did I use, this time..."
Now that is just too cool.
I finally know what Doug's first salvo against... but wait, no, that would be telling.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
As for the how's and why's... Lemme qoute this bit of DW2 - Chapter Eight...
Quote:
Ohara was near-apoplectic. He watched incredulously through the binoculars first as an ordinary-looking shotgun appeared in the Visitor's hands from out of nowhere, and then as the leather-clad extradimensional casually blew the arm off BU-65C combat boomer with a decidedly un-ordinary blast from that same weapon.
"What the hell is that gun loaded with?" he muttered to himself through clenched teeth.
"If these readings are right, nothing, Ohara-san," ventured
Davis calmly. In the distance, a flash of light and the delayed crack of an explosion announced another shot from the weapon.
Ohara whirled on him. "What do you mean, nothing?"
Davis betrayed no emotion as he pointed to the displays before him. "I mean, as far as the instruments are concerned, that's not even a gun he's carrying."
"It's not?" Ohara stood stock-still at this. "Then what the
hell is it?"
Davis ventured a slight smile, and replied, "About three
kilograms of pure energy."
Ohara narrowed his eyes and glared at his subordinate. "That's nonsense. You *don't* measure energy in *kilograms*."
The tech gestured again at the displays. "You do in this case. Grav-field sensors indicated a mass discontinuity equivalent to about three kilograms simply appeared at the same time as that 'shotgun'. The radar and spectroscopes don't register anything material, but the flux sensors indicate the presence of an intensely powerful electromagnetic field in the same location as the mass -- intense enough that I had to recalibrate the sensors twice simply to get it on the scale. The field and the mass both get marginally smaller each time he fires off a shot." Another distant *crack* and both Davis and Ohara winced. "That 'gun' is actually a vast amount of pure energy somehow 'gelled' into a state that is almost but not quite real matter."
"Then each shot is?" Ohara asked.
"At most maybe a picogram of energy, I'd guess, somehow contained until it hits its target." Davis turned and gave him a sober look. "Dr. Ohara, the Visitor is carrying the energy equivalent of a 3-kilo total conversion bomb in his bare hands. He created it out of thin air. And is firing off bits of it at will. I sincerely hope he doesn't drop it, because MegaTokyo won't survive the result. I'm not sure *Japan* would survive the result. And we're expected to *capture* him?" Davis shook his head. "I don't know about you, but I'm not getting paid enough to tangle with someone who can do that."
And then he goes on to do this (after accessing the Megatokyo Node)...
Quote:
Through the space the boomer had just occupied, she could now see the Loon. The shotgun-like weapon in his hands was glowing faintly, lighting a halo around itself in the falling snow. Even as she blinked to try to clear her eyes, the glow intensified. The weapon doubled in thickness and then split down its length like an amoeba reproducing... to become two shotguns, one in each of his hands. The glow flared once more, and the shotguns writhed and flowed; thick disks grew from their stocks, right in front of the trigger. *Drum magazines,* she realized. *Fully-automatic shotguns? I like!*
Now, I think it would be pretty lean odds that he would have (or usually want to) access to power on that same sort of scale. But, OTOH, it does seem possible to me that he can have more than one or two salvos in a beast like that!-NeoRaven
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allen Poe
Sponsored by Black Aeronaut Technologies -
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.
Quote:
I finally know what Doug's first salvo against... but wait, no, that would be telling.
If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then I think you're right...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

WengFook

Twisted1 sang:
Quote:
We infiltrate, we wade through hip-deep filth
And then we come at them from below
It makes me wonder if the missiles fired have a special homing capacity Big Grin
or maybe the initial salvo would have no tracking ability, and when it reloads for the second salvo boom. robotech Big Grin_____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
Well, actually, no, but by all means feel free!

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Ah, well, in that case... Lightning's Hand, Stalin's Organs, then Kon'ya wa Hurricane should do nicely for that scene...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
Ah, well, in that case... Lightning's Hand, Stalin's Organs, then Kon'ya wa Hurricane should do nicely for that scene...
Good Gravey, man! That is some serious overkill! Where the heck is Doug gonna find the energy to fuel all -that-!?-NeoRaven
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.
Quote:
Good Gravey, man! That is some serious overkill! Where the heck is Doug gonna find the energy to fuel all -that-!?
Would you believe... from what he's attacking?
And what's worse is it isn't going to be enough...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk