Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Perhaps less of a power than a backfire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

The Wanderer

---
Look askance
Just a glance
Just enough
To incite the wrath
Of her confidante
Strong though gaunt
And that's how to get your ass kicked
How to get your ass kicked
Never learn
To discern
Areas
Where you don't belong
So you venture out
Head in clouds
I know, I know, I know, I know
Driving home,
Bikes in chrome
Cut you off
And you flip them off
And they take their turns
Many turns
How to get your kicked
I know, I know, I know, I know
In the end
Then is when
You will pray
But you won't be answered
And then you'll go
End of show
Oh well, oh well, oh well, oh well
---
Sparks, "How To Get Your Ass Kicked"

Like I said, this is more likely to be considered a backfire than a real power; still, if Doug ever has a pressing need to get beaten up for some reason, this song would get the job done. (It also makes another for the growing list of songs to be used with "I'll Play for You" targeted on an enemy... how many of these does that make, now? Three? Six? Has anyone been keeping count? For that matter, is there any reason that trick couldn't be used effectively with just about any 'backfire' song in Doug's repertoire?)
On something of another note, does anyone else think it might be at least slightly interesting to suggest songs which are almost certain to not have any effect for Doug? It's been stated that most songs don't actually trigger his metatalent, but there have been a lot of songs suggested over time, enough that it wouldn't surprise me if that slipped people's minds - it does mine. I have one candidate in mind, because I can't think of any plausible effect (useful or otherwise) the song could have, but I'm not sure how appropriate it would be to post it...
Worthless songs for Doug's talent?
Remember the Alamo
Sink the Bismark
The Battle of New Orleans
MTA
1000 Miles to Tukimkari(sp?)
Don't Let the Rain Come Down(Crooked Little Man)*
Last Train to Clarksville
Highwayman
20 Years Ago
Ruby
The Gambler
Coward of the County
Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier
Rocky Top
Still Takin' Chances
If You're Gonna Play in Texas You Need a Fiddle in the Band
Will the Wolf Survive
Pancho and Lefty
We Are The World
Hands Across America
Lemon Tree
most of the songs from Cats(Memory, Moments of Happiness, and Journey to the Heaviside Layer are probably exceptions)
Pancho & Lefty
* This song by the Serendipity Singers shifts wildly between two different topics
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Quote:
Sink The Bismarck
Actually, I had an idea for a really cool power for this one -- it would create a hovering battleship gun turret or two, floating 10 or 20 meters off the ground, capable of sustained battleship-grade fire. Of course, he can only hit things fifteen miles away, so it's useless in melee...
Quote:
most of the songs from Cats(Memory, Moments of Happiness, and Journey to the Heaviside Layer are probably exceptions)
Well, Doug already uses "Song of the Jellicles", to summon Kat's simulacrum... "Heaviside Layer" has lots of potential, though... Hmmm.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."

The Wanderer

Quote:
Of course, he can only hit things fifteen miles away, so it's useless in melee...
Hmm. That brings up the question:just how hard are the limits of his "effect radius", in practice? If they're absolute, "no direct effects on anything out of range", then that idea plainly wouldn't work - the projectiles would vanish when they hit the limit - but since you suggested it yourself, I figure it probably fits within the rules somehow.
The thing is, the single most common reason for me to not post a suggestion I've come up with for a possible power is "oh, that doesn't adhere to the 100-(whatever-unit-of-distance-it-was) radius, never mind..."; but if this sort of effect is possible, then maybe some of them would have worked after all. (I don't remember what any of them were at the moment, but they have a habit of popping back into mind from time to time.) Given that, it would be nice if the question could be answered...

Sukael

Quote:
Actually, I had an idea for a really cool power for this one -- it would create a hovering battleship gun turret or two, floating 10 or 20 meters off the ground, capable of sustained battleship-grade fire. Of course, he can only hit things fifteen miles away, so it's useless in melee...
*cough*Eva*Cough*--
Sukael
If I had something nifty to say, it would be said here.
--
[Image: image,Sukael,white,black.png]
The only problem is that the guns might auto-target Asuka, since she's German.... (Actually, she's a German-Japanese American citizen, IIRC)
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
The only problem is that the guns might auto-target Asuka, since she's German
From certain points of view this would be a win-win situation.
Only if your a Shinji-Wondergirl shipper"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
'Scuse me whilst I curl up into an insanely giggling ball over here in the corner.
Anyway, my plans for DW6 don't really allow for Doug to use this -- I've got something a lot more fun -- but I'd certainly want to give him a "slap the forehead 'Why didn't I think of that earlier?'" moment when it occurs to him.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."