Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: spell song book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Murmur the Fallen

sorry, I don't know if you've posted this already or what, but I wonder if you have a list of the songs that Doug uses in his arsenal and what they do.
Damn. Something funky happened when I tried to edit the message a few minutes ago, and ezBoard replaced it with the text "HTML Comments are not allowed". I don't know what happened, and I lost some of the material. So bear with me while I update based on an archive of the original material and try to remember what I added at midnight last night.
I know I've forgotten something, but I don't know what. Feel free to point out anything I left out.
-- Bob

Okay, this is a combined list of songs used in play and songs used in DW2, excluding gate songs and backfires:
Doug's "Arsenal"

Offensive:
Another One Bites The Dust, Queen. Spectral (but damaging) machinegun bullets fire from his eyes.
Blinded By The Light, Bruce Springsteen. Flash/blinding attacks.
Dust in the Wind, Kansas. Disintegration.
Fire, Arthur Brown. Flame powers, including body of fire.
Fire and Ice, Pat Benatar. Flame powers along and from his right arm, ice powers from his left.
Here Comes The Sun, The Beatles. "Sunbolt" attack from his face. Good against vampires.
Lightning's Hand, Kansas. Lightning and electrical control.
Maxwell's Silver Hammer, The Beatles. Creates a "dancing" chrome hammer which he can direct from a distance.
Pinball Wizard, The Who. A rather complicated set of combat-useful abilities, plus some pointless special effects, all linked together with a pinball theme.
Saturday Night's All Right (For Fighting), Elton John. Conjures knives made of solidified energy.
Steam, Peter Gabriel. Superheated steam attack.
This Corrosion, Sisters of Mercy. Lets him accelerate the chemical breakdown or decay of objects in his range.
White Wedding, Billy Idol. Conjures a solidified-energy shotgun.

Defensive:
Black Hole Sun, Soundgarden. Formation and control of quantum black holes as a shield against gravity attacks. Limited offensive use.
Freewill, Rush. Renders him immune to mind and emotion control attacks.
I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor. V&V "Adaptation" power, with side effect of obnoxious self-sufficiency.
Tubthumping, Chumbawumba. Instantaneous regeneration and a "weeble" effect.

Mixed:
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2, Pink Floyd. Shapeable force fields with the appearance of white stone blocks.
Hazy Shade of Winter, the Bangles. Ice/cold control, including ice armor.

Transportation:
Don't Stop Me Now, Queen. Flight, with some switchable flame effects.
Fly Like An Eagle, Steve Miller Band. Transformation into giant eagle; flight in eagle form timeslips forward.
Help!, The Beatles. Teleports Warriors to him. (Planetary range, cannot cross dimensional barriers.)
Homeward Bound, Simon and Garfunkel. Teleportation to his current home.
I'm A Pioneer, Tenchi Muyo! Multimach/FTL flight with variable inertia, immunity to air friction, and vacuum support.
Magic Carpet Ride, Steppenwolf. Flight, by way of a solid energy "magic carpet".
Ray of Light, by Madonna. FTL flight via transformation into virtual tachyons.
Taxi, by Tom Chapin. Conjures a flying taxi (seats four, speed approx. 200 mph) permanently surrounded by a rain storm.
Thunder Road, Bruce Springsteen. Escape hatch.

Sensory/Communication:
Eye in the Sky, Alan Parsons Project. Mass Telepathy.
I Can See For Miles, The Who. Telescopic and X-ray vision, and ability to detect lies.
Message In A Bottle, The Police. Global distress call.
What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy), Information Society. Telepathy, by way of turning into an energy pattern that settles in the target's brain and accesses it at will.

Mind and Emotion Control:
Aquarius, from "Hair," by Rado/Ragni. Area effect non-violence.
Enter Sandman, Metallica. Area effect nightmares/terror.
Firing Line, Gossamer Axe. Forces an enemy or enemies to focus their efforts on him alone.
Pressure, Billy Joel. Area effect increase of tension and anxiety (leading to tactical errors when used in combat).
Take Me To The Pilot, Elton John. Sort of a mind-control song. Doug vanishes, and his consciousness ends up inside a single target, acting kind of like the superego.
Tom Sawyer, by Rush. A "don't do anything but look at me" compulsion.
Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler. Area effect emotion control: despair and depression.
Under My Thumb, Rolling Stones. Mind control on a single female.

Healing and similar:
I'm Alive, ELO. Healing.
Twist of Fate, Olivia Newton-John. Allows him to contact a divine being and bargain for the resurrection of someone recently dead.

Simulacra:
AC/DC, from "Starlight Express". Summons simulacrum of Silverbolt.
On The Dark Side, John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. Summons a simulacrum of Shadowwalker.
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, The Police. Summons a simulacrum of Ai Jiao Min.
I Live In A Split Level Head, Napoleon XIV. Summons a simulacrum of Skitz.
Magic Man, Heart. Summons simulacrum of Dwimanor.
Rhiannon, Fleetwood Mac. Summons simulacrum of Rhiannon.
Song of the Jellicles, from "Cats". Summons a simulacrum of Kat.
Witchy Woman, Eagles. Summons simulacrum of Hexe.
With A Little Help From My Friends, Joe Cocker. Summons simulacra of multiple Warriors, his choice.

Metasongs (Affect the operation of other songs):
I'll Play For You, by Seals and Crofts. Focuses an area-effect song on a single target.

Miscellaneous:
Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better, Ethel Merman from "Annie Get Your Gun". Lets him return any attack which hits him with bonuses to hit and to damage.
Break On Through (To The Other Side), The Doors. Punches holes in walls. Big holes. Very forcefully.
Good Morning, The Beatles. Gives immediate wake-up roll (plus one for each of his actions) to everyone in his area of effect.
I Can't Drive 55, Sammy Hagar. Boosts motorcycle speed above its normal maximums.
I'm So Hot For Her (And She's So Cold), Rolling Stones. Gives a woman of his choice ice powers while giving him fire powers.
Invisible Touch, Genesis. Lets him give a suite of telekinetic powers to a woman or girl.
Joyful, Joyful/Ode to Joy from Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Soundtrack of "Sister Act II". Doesn't seem to do anything...
Spirits In the Material World, The Police. Invisibility and non-corporeality.
These Dreams, Heart. Illusions.
We Didn't Start The Fire, Billy Joel. Full-immersion history lesson for the second half of Warriors' World's twentieth century.
Within You, Without You, The Beatles. V&V "Cosmic Awareness" power.

Transformations:
Eye of the Tiger, Survivor. Transformation into a Siberian tiger.
Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel. Full morph abilities.
Turn To Stone, ELO. Transforms him into an animated statue.

Just Plain Weird:
The Chain, by Fleetwood Mac. Binding attack in the form of golden chains.
Freezeframe, J. Geils Band. Limited timestop capability.
Hoplessly Human, Kansas. Used once to help cure Shadowwalker of her arrested vampirism.
I Am The Walrus, The Beatles. "Wand of Wonder" randomized effect.
I Will Follow Him, Chiffons (?). Unerring ability to track a male whom Doug personally likes.
Kodachrome, Paul Simon. Solidified energy 35 mm camera.
Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, the Beatles. Area effect drug trip.
Seventy-Six Trombones, from "The Music Man". Creates a full marching band that bulldozes through the area of effect.
Weird Science, Oingo Boingo. High-speed technomagic kitbashing.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bard J

"Seventy-Six Trombones," from "The Music Man". Creates a full marching band that bulldozes through the area of effect.
------------------------------------------------------------------
That KILLS me. That would be just freakin' hilarious.
And of course, they'd have to be playing that song as they come marching through.
Have you ever heard of the game Stuperpowers? It's a mostly free-form roleplaying game where all the awesome hereos have been kidnapped or killed (whatever) and all the lame ones have to take over.
One of the powers is "Summon Mariachi Band", and the mental Poloaroid of this makes me crack up everytime I think about it.
Please use this sometime. =P
(Note from Bob. It's way too late for me to be doing this. I accidentally edited Bard's original post instead of replying to it, without noticing what I was doing. Fortunately, I could restore it all, but it will still bear an edit timestamp with my name on it, and I wanted to explain. My apologies, Bard...)
"Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" by Nathan Forgets.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:
"Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" by Nathan Forgets.
Oh, are they a Broadway cover band?
Ethel Merman is the definitive version. I know that because it's one of the songs I forgot. It goes in when I edit the above in a minute or so.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
That KILLS me. That would be just freakin' hilarious.
And of course, they'd have to be playing that song as they come marching through.
But of course.
Quote:
Have you ever heard of the game Stuperpowers?
No, but it sounds... warped. Twisted. Fun.
Quote:
One of the powers is "Summon Mariachi Band", and the mental Poloaroid of this makes me crack up everytime I think about it.
Yeah, I can imagine. Remember, I used to GM "Teenagers From Outer Space" on a weekly basis.
Quote:
Please use this sometime. =P
Like, maybe, in Central Dogma at NERV?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Ethel Merman is the definitive version.
Okay. I am obviously up way too late. I just had one of those really odd Miller Lite "let's combine them and see what we get" moments...
The Ethel Mormon Tabernacle Choir...
Argh...
-Logan
----------
Legolas - Obviously an Elvish word meaning "Gatling Gun".
----------
Quote:
Okay. I am obviously up way too late. I just had one of those really odd Miller Lite "let's combine them and see what we get" moments...
Argh...
>>Shatter
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
"I got rhythm, I got music,
I got twelve wives,
Who could ask for anything more?"

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
"Takano, Muklewicz!" Kiyoshi shouted out over the din of the office. "Get your asses out to Timex City! I need a follow-up story on that twister or whatever it was that touched down in the Fault Region yesterday "
Since Chapter 4 alludes to Doug's testing the song out, shouldn't Konya wa Hurricane be on the list?
-- Acyl
Well, DW2 Chapter 4, I mean. Though that should be obvious.
-- Acyl
Quote:
Since Chapter 4 alludes to Doug's testing the song out, shouldn't Konya wa Hurricane be on the list?
If/when it appears "on screen" in a chapter, I'll officially add it. For instance, Doug used "Dust In The Wind" to help Lisa get out of her "Sailor Loon" outfit -- but it wasn't mentioned by name except in the concordance. If I had posted this list then, I would have kept "DitW" off it until Chapter 11 had come out.

-- Bob
---------

cpt kangarooski

Quote:
Here Comes The Sun, The Beatles. "Sunbolt" attack from his face. Good against vampires.
This should really have some sort of raisin attack built in as well. Then it would be effective against not just Vampires, but ALSO skeletons. Since they're afraid of raisins. angryflower.com/comesh.gif
Quote:
>
>Here Comes The Sun, The Beatles. "Sunbolt" attack from his face. Good against vampires.
>
This should really have some sort of raisin attack built in as well. Then it would be effective against not just Vampires, but ALSO skeletons. Since they're afraid of raisins.
Shouldn't "Dock of the Bay" be the song with raisin powers?-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Why not "Heard It Through The Grapevine"?

-- Bob
---------
That's what I meant to say... Smile-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Ah. Clarity.

-- Bob
---------
Ahh, epiphany
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

okay, so a cover version of a song has a different effect; how about the same song by the same artist but with differences:
fer instance:
Layla by Eric Clapton (or was that Derek and the Dominoes?)
versus
Layla by Eric Clapton, MTV's Unplugged version
differences, the same, what?
Or, even closer:
original My Sweet Lord
versus
2000 rethink My Sweet Lord
George Harrison for both, natch.
Well, we've got one instance of this mentioned in Chapter Two. Doug uses a bootleg concert version of "On The Dark Side" to summon Shadowwalker's simulacrum, but it's clear from his narration that the shorter studio version does the same thing, only for less time.
I can't answer for the songs you mention, as I've never used them in game or story for powers. And I haven't even heard the new "My Sweet Lord" to the best of my knowledge.

-- Bob
---------
Sweet Dreams by The Eurythmics
--versus --
Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson
Ready? FIGHT!

(Just a little mental tangent on the thought of cover songs...)
Gah.

-- Bob
---------
...when composing the big list back on the first page of this thread:
I Feel The Earth Move, Carole King. Creates an earthquake in his area of effect, Richter level starting at 1 and increasing by 1 for each full combat round he maintains the song. He is uneffected by the shaking ground, and can stroll around changing the area affected by the quake.

-- Bob
---------

Starbolt13

This brings to mind a song I remember from a Doctor Demento some years back. The song was about the Richter Scale. Pretty amusing in a scientific sort of way. It goes through listing various quakes of progressively higher magnitudes. The only problem is that I can't remember the name, the words or even very much of the song.
Pages: 1 2