Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Songs to call in reinforcements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

blob

I've been listening to some of my old CDs and found two songs which Doug could use to call in some reinforcements.
The first one is Steel meets Steel by Hammerfall, it could summon some Templar knights. (It is from their Glory to the Brave album.)
Back in 1095, when the call to arms came
we had the red cross sown on
Sent to save the holy land and crush the infidels
with strength from above
Steel meets Steel
On towards victory we march, the guiding star
lead us to the battlefield
There, the heathens were subdued, and in the end
we forced them all to yield or die
Steel meets Steel
In July in '99, the Holy City was stormed and won
Jerusalem was freed, we thanked the Lord for our glory
We, the Templars, have survived by honor and pride
and the blessing of the sword
The quest of the war, forever sung
to the sound of steel meets steel
Steel meets Steel

The other one is Spirit Horse of the Cherokee by Manowar, it (obviously) could summon some Cherokee Indians.
The trail of tears began for all the Cherokee
The white men came to trade & borrow,
But then they would not leave
Some of us were taken by boat, and died at sea
Those of us who lived were sold to slavery.
We welcomed them as brothers, knowing nothing of
Their greed, born hunters not the hunted
As the white man hunts for me,
We are descendants of the animals
We live among the free
Our trail of tears would end one day at Wounded Knee.
Great Spirit, thunder birds fly, we are wild and free
To fight and die by the open sky, Spirit Horse ride for me
When we do the Ghost Dance, the buffalo will return
Paint ourselves for war, now blood and fire burn
Great Spirit makes us strong, take us to the sky
The Cherokee are brave, we are not afraid to die
To fight and die by the open sky, Spirit Horse ride for me
Red Cloud, Black Hawk, Sitting Bull
Crazy Horse, Geronimo
Strong and brave warriors to the grave
There has been much killing, there will be much more
The Medicine Man is dancing, he's calling us to war,
Hatchets sing with pride, let the white men die
To fight and die by the open sky, Spirit Horse ride for meWhat if: Chibi Usa, Veteran Speznas Ninja Commando From Hell(tm)?
Hm. Interesting. Might net him guys in medieval armor, might not... Hm.
On a sillier side, this reminds me of the suggestion that The Weathergirls' "It's Raining Men" could provide him with a platoon of paratroopers...

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
How about the theme song for "Wonder Woman"?
You know she'd be handy in the Sailor Moon step for interrogating a Dark Kingdom General. Just set-up a recorder handy, her lasso on the dude and say "Tell us everything you know"
In the WW world, would she have been an historical figure? She did first show up in WWII fighting the Japanese.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Warriors' World has no connection to the timelines of DC or Marvel comics. It is completely independent. My attempt to figure out its past history turned into the IST world, but we do know that there were supers in WWII -- at least four who were part of the French Resistance have actually come into play. (Which means, of course, the requisite Nazi supervillains, but I don't think any of us ever came up with any. Hey, John, did you ever do any WWII-themed stuff, either with Alpha or Beta? I can't remember.)

-- Bob
---------

Skitz Warriors Alpha

Heh. Seezar, he lived during WWII. Fought and was killed on the Russian Front. And no, he wasn't speaking Russian. Having learned the full details of Nazi attrocities, he considers it probably for the best that he was killed very shortly after his powers manifested, since he has no idea how long he would have gone on fighting for the Nazis before he confronted to awful truth, and given that there was more than a little moral relativism in the air, he's not at all sure he wouldn't have rationalized it away and gone on to become one of the worlds leading supervillans.
However, apart from that, I've created very little WWII Warriors history. I've been operating on the principal that what supers existed during WWII were poorly organized, poorly utilized, and largely fought against each other, thus leaving the major themes of the war to go foreward as they did in our universe.
On a meta note, this is something that many GMs tended to assume and work toward that I know irked you and drove you to write the IST history (which was originally to be the Warriors world history, but we rejected, not only becuase of the divergences from RL history, but also becuase as GMs we didn't want to have too much scripted: it's more fun to make it up as you go along). Well, that and Doug's wanting to jump start chip design by a few decades...
Hmmmm, Now I'm getting an idea for a WWII themed adventure....

Skitz
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Seezar; you'd related the Russian Front story to us at least once before, but it had slipped my mind.
Quote:
I've been operating on the principal that what supers existed during WWII were poorly organized, poorly utilized, and largely fought against each other, thus leaving the major themes of the war to go foreward as they did in our universe.
Oddly enough, that's very similar to what I did in IST -- there just weren't enough of them, and none of them were really all that powerful, so they didn't really affect the course of the war at all.
Quote:
Well, that and Doug's wanting to jump start chip design by a few decades...
Well, unless you're going to say that super tech like that which Doug builds is all really just Heironymus machines, it's gotta be reproducable and marketable... basic reality check, after all.
Quote:
Ooh, cool...

-- Bob
---------

Skitz Warriors Alpha

Bob:
B> Well, unless you're going to say that super tech like that
B> which Doug builds is all really just Heironymus machines,
B> it's gotta be reproducable and marketable... basic reality
B> check, after all.
I should have simply made the things expensive and left it at that. But what I was getting at (all those years ago) was that there was an entire industry built on top of incremental improvement, you were going to turn that on it's head, which will not come easily.

Skitz

cpt kangarooski

Quote:
Have y'all ever read the comic "High Roads?" I believe DC put it out; there's a TPB. It's very funny, and there are plenty of Nazi ninjas for cannon fodder.

WengFook

nazi ninjas.....? weird...

cpt kangarooski

No, that one of the main characters is a former western movie star Englishman who looks _exactly_ like Hitler, except that he's a midget -- that's weird.

WengFook

no captain... thats weirdER..... Tongue

WengFook

you know while we are on the topic of songs for reinforcements.. it just occured to me... what would happen if doug played the song for........
The A-Team!!! Tongue
I know the intro song is like only 2 minutes long.... but you know... in two minutes they can take a wet sock and at the end when they are done they have got a tank.....
Into terror!,  Into valour!
Charge ahead! No! Never turn
Yes, it's into the fire we fly
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

WengFook

yes there are Tongue okay the guy is actually reciting but its part of the song Tongue
In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit, these men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the los angelos underground. Today still wanted by the government. They survive as soldiers of fortune, if you have a problem, if no one else can help and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team
Tongue
by Carl Douglas

Oh-ho-ho-hoooo (x4)
Everybody was Kung Fu fighting,
those Cats were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightening,
but they fought with expert timing
There were funky China men from funky Chinatown
They were chopping back up, they were chopping them down
It's an ancient Chinese art, and everybody knew their part
From a faint into a slip, then I'm kickin' from the hip
Everybody was Kung Fu fighting (hunh),
those kicks were fast as lightning (hunh)
In fact it was a little bit frightening (hunh),
but they fought with expert timing (hunh)
There was funky Billy Chin and little Sammy Chung
He said, here comes the big boss, let's get it on
He took a bow and made a stand,
started swaying with the hand
A sudden motion made me skip,
now we're into a brandnew trick
Everybody was Kung Fu fighting,(hunh)
those kicks were fast as lightning(hunh)
In fact it was a little bit frightening,(hunh)
but they did it with expert timing(hunh)
oh,ho,ho,hoooo (4x)
Everybody was Kung Fu fighting,
those kicks were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightening,
make sure you have expert timing
Kung Fu fighting, had to be fast as lightning...

The only question is WHAT type of martial artists? Heaven help him if he unleashes the Nerima Wrecking Crew....
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Now there's an oldie-but-goodie. I know it was in one of the earliest lists of untest songs in his helmet, but I haven't thought about it in years...
Quote:
Heaven help him if he unleashes the Nerima Wrecking Crew....
Actually, I have a cameo for some of them that might appear in the Sailor Moon Step. I may have described it in Future Steps once, but I can't remember now.

-- Bob
---------
//yes there are Tongue okay the guy is actually reciting but its part of the song Tongue//
There is a big difference between voiceover and lyrics, Weng! It's already been placed out in the FAQ that instrumentals don't work on Doug's metagift.

If it did, he'd be uber-powerful! Can you imagine the looks of people on the scene when he was faced with massed boomers if he played "Patton's March"? For 3 minutes, he'd have the firepower of the 7th Army..along with ole "Blood and Guts"
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:
Actually, I have a cameo for some of them that might appear in the Sailor Moon Step. I may have described it in Future Steps once, but I can't remember now.
Actually, I think it might have been even earlier than that, pre EZ Boards.
Anyway, Doug's not going to be there, actively... or even know he was there. IIRC, the scene is that as usual, the NWC are all in one spot, doing what comes naturally... and two gates open, with Doug unconcious on his cycle as it zooms between the two. In the process of 'bailing out of the way', basicly certain couples as Bob feels the should match up wind up in each others arms.
And that's all the Ranma Bob plans to do."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Oh, no, this was a new one; I'd forgotten about that.
The setup is: Doug has an effect for the song "Take On Me" by A-ha. Those who saw the video for this song will always remember the amazing animated/rotoscoped "inside a comic book" look. Well, the power is inspired by the video: Doug can use a comic book or manga as a teleport gate -- by entering the book in one location, running through the setting inside it, and exiting at a different location through another copy of the manga.
The silly, fun idea was.. well, here're my actual notes from the Sailor Moon file:
Somewhere the senshi need to contact Usagi and get her deployed as Sailor Moon immediately. But she's not responding to phone calls or communicators. She's known to be home. Doug uses A-Ha's "Take on Me" to go through one of Rei's manga to an identical issue that Usagi owns. Doug's carrying a "Usagi wake-up kit" assmebled by Rei andMinako? Air horn, food, stuff like that?(The guy with the wrench was there, as usual. I kicked him in the head and knocked him out. As usual.)Doug dashes through the middle of a scene from Ranma 1/2, disrupting a fight in progress, and dives into the window of Ucchan's, which turns paper-white and ripples as he does so.Doug ends up in Usagi's bedroom with manga on his helmet like a hat. He carefully takes it down, marks the page with a finger or something, and shakes Usagi awake. He ends up barking at her to wake her, which gets the attention of Shingo down the hall. (Alternately, Doug's use of the "Usagi wake-up kit" alerts him.)Shingo comes up to the door of Usagi's BR just in time to see her transform to Sailor Moon and then dive into the manga with Doug. Stunned, he picks up the manga and watches them run from frame to frame.Inside the manga, Doug and Usagi emerge from Ucchan's front window. Before they can start running, Usagi recognizes the characters and squeals their names. She throws a Moon Healing Escalation at Ranma and Ryoga and says, "there, your curses are gone". Then she runs over to a stunned Akane and Ranma, puts their hands in each other's, and says, "He loves you, She loves you." Then turns to Ryoga and waves a finger sternly at him."And you can't sleep in her bed anymore." (turns to Akane) "Hewas P-chan, you see."All through this, Doug is trying to get her to move, and finally bellows "Move it, Sailor!" in his best drill sergeant voice. Usagi eeps, and runs with him down the street to jump into another window.Akane stares after them. "That was Sailor Moon... and Looney Toons..."Doug and Usagi pop back out of Rei's manga just in time.
Yeah, like I said, silly. But it might be fun to do.

-- Bob
---------
I like the idea of Doug actually being a manga charcacter in another universe
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Druid

I found the scene amusing myself. Thanks for sharing. Smile
No problem. Also, no guarantee that that'll ever actually get used, mind you...

-- Bob
---------
Heh, I'd like to see what a good writer not opposed to ranmafics would make of the aftermath of that, actually. Wouldn't Akane be suprised when the next issue of the SM/LT crossover-in-progress arrives the next day, and shows the jump-into-manga/jump-out-of-manga scenes...
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Cut out of the passage I quoted was a little bit I thought was too much: (Later, Shingo reads the scene where Akane shows Ranma her Sailor Moon manga, with the corresponding scenes in it.)I guess it wasn't as too much as I thought if other people are envisioning it, too...

-- Bob
---------