Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: re oddball songs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Herr Bad Moon

Quote:
It's the oddball things I like to have songs for ("76 Trombones, anyone? ), and this certainly qualifies.
*chuckle*
Like a punk cover of "Favorite Things" by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes? Summons a bag that shoots out everything mentioned in the song at the target perhaps?---------------
Oh crap. I've got Destiny.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
That's one I haven't heard of. Time to go looking...

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
I believe he meant a cover of (A Few of My)Favorite Things from "The Sound of Music."
But you knew that, didn't you?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
That I did, yes. Thanks, though.

-- Bob
---------
note to self: in addition to book, next time Bob and I are in proximity, bring MF&tGG CDs.
(A punk cover of Barry Manilow's Mandy... it is to be heard to not destroy self.)Brazil has decided you're cute.
Yeek.

-- Bob
---------

Koryimran

This thread reminds me of a ska song with the title "Date with Density" I'll see if I can find it.

Shawn Earl
Les Claypool has done a "yeehaw, y'varmint!" country cover of the hip-hop/rap song "Gin and Juice" that was featured in the pilot of Stephen King's "Kingdom Hospital."
It's surprisingly good.
This brings up an interesting question:
Does Doug's metatalent interpret covers as different songs like it does parodies? Especially if the styles of the two singers are extremely different? Or does the only difference involve how long the song is active?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
Does Doug's metatalent interpret covers as different songs like it does parodies? Especially if the styles of the two singers are extremely different? Or does the only difference involve how long the song is active?
Yes.
Or, less obtusely, sometimes one, sometimes the other.
Blessed be,
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Herr Bad Moon

Quote:
Les Claypool has done a "yeehaw, y'varmint!" country cover of the hip-hop/rap song "Gin and Juice" that was featured in the pilot of Stephen King's "Kingdom Hospital."
The first time I heard a country drawl yell "Beeotch!" I snarfed my drink.
[edit for the spelling of beeotch. I did it just to say I could.]---------------
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Allow me to recommend the following very strange CDs:
Rebuild The Wall by Luther Wright and the Wrongs. A complete re-recording of Pink Floyd's The Wall in country/bluegrass style. An amazing piece of work, since everything that makes The Wall the masterpiece that it is, is still there, just rotated 90 degrees...
A Hillbilly Tribute to.... series of CDs by Hayseed Dixie. They started off doing country/western tribute/parody covers of AC/DC, then Hayseed Dixie branched out into the rest of rock'n'roll. Worth a listen, even if they are more of a conscious novelty act than Luther Wright and the Wrongs.
Lounge Against the Machine by Richard Cheese. Angst-filled alternative rock done in classic lounge-lizard style.
When Pigs Fly by various artists. Devo sings Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Leslie Gore sings AC/DC. The Oak Ridge Boys sing Kansas. Don freakin' Ho sings Peter Gabriel. Herman's Hermits sing Billy Idol. I am not making this up. This is a twisted but fun CD.

-- Bob
---------

Herr Bad Moon

Quote:
Lounge Against the Machine by Richard Cheese. Angst-filled alternative rock done in classic lounge-lizard style.
A personal road trip favorite of my friends and myself.---------------
---
Jon
Found a site that's got the mp3:
www.noleftturns.com

-- James Nicoll
Which MP3? "My Favorite Things"?

-- Bob
---------
*blinks* um...
Look at the "Subject" line. It's a link to an mp3 of the country version of "Gin and Juice..."

-- James Nicoll
Right.
title>Um. I still can't find it. Which link takes me to it?

-- Bob
---------
Okay. Try here, click on the "Cover version" link.

-- James Nicoll
Got it now, thanks.
Yeah, that's an odd, odd song in that style...

-- Bob
---------