Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: the me-space song
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
_Behind Blue Eyes_ by the Who
www.lyrics007.com/The%20W...yrics.html
Effect: internal only, while the song plays he can only move the distance normally enclosed by his field at the time it starts or not at all, but no measueable time passes in the outside world. To him the song is like going off somewhere private for a couple hours to calm down: any extreme emotion, from murderous rage to suicidal depression to delerious happiness, is evened out to "a little lonely, but resolute." Externally inflicted effects (psychic, drugs, whatever) are also broken by using it, but of course will start to take effect again afterward if the psychic is still attacking or the drug is still in his bloodstream - in game terms, it's a free resistance attampt without any cumulative resist penalties that may apply.
As an aside, has anyone heard the Limp Bizkit version of this song? It's apparently word-for-word accurate except for a bit of added 'tell it!' type stuff in the bridge, but knowing the kind of stuff Limp Biskit does it's probably a lot more agressive sounding - a version to work on a target person, perhaps?
Incidentally, I find this song to have the mental effect listed for myself, if I can think to play it when overwrought and concentrate only on listening for the three and a half minutes it runs. Most people who know me not not to bug me when I'm listening to 'Behind Blue Eyes' :?)
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Kokuten

here's the amazing part.. I have violent reactions to this song, and flat-out detest it, but I can still understand where CD is coming from.
He forgot to mention that the Limp Bizkit version is missing the bitchin' guitar smash of the original, also[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
No, I've never heard the LB version, I was asking if anyone knew about it. I didn't untill I went looking for lyrics, actually. As to your (Kokuten's) reaction to the song, well, I freely admit it's more of a self-hypnotic effect than anything else, but the lyrics do suggest something like it - much like the other less-than-stable person I know who does the smae thing with Nirvana's _Lithium_ which *I* can't stand. In fact, the only thing Nirvana ever recorded that I didn't hate was an accoustic cover of some sixties peacenik song, and it was pretty forgettable.
Unrelated to that, I've always wondered why exactly you picked that nickname. It's koku+ten, right? Rice-measure of heaven? Or is that just coincidence? Not trying to be insulting, I'm just curious.
- CD, digressing at up to one sixth the speed of light
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Kokuten

the original genesis of my handle goes back quite a few years, when I dropped the ever-so-angsty nom-de-plume 'betrayal', and started calling myself 'sunspot', and later 'sunspot daysleeper', when I was working night shifts.. I've always been fond of just passing out in a sunbeam, and it was a lot _happier_ than most of my previous nom-de-plumes.
To be honest, being a goth is a pain in the ass. all that depression and angst is a lot of work.
I fell in with a bad crowd at that point.. REALLY bad. They had a killer product, and I got severly hooked, and it's influencing my life to this day.. Anime Junkies.
I parsed sunspot into an english -> japanese translator, and that's what came back. I reverse-parsed my name again just now, and this is what I got back, from
linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e...&fg=r&S=26
and got this:
Quote:
word-starting-with-pattern search of romaji Kokuten in the main dictionary.
Warning: upper-case romaji makes no sense; converting to lower case.Check here for more info
Three Matches Found
kokuten
(n) a nation's laws; national rites or ceremonies
kokuten
(n) black spot; dark spot; sunspot
kokutenshuuki
sunspot cycle
And if you're curious about the limp bizkit cover of behind blue eyes, it's getting _some_ radio play, it should be requestable, or Kazaable, and IMO, it's inferior to the original.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Morgan Champion

Typically,most remakes are generally inferior to the original."There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets""There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"
Sunspot, okay, that's cool. It even goes with your GiR pic more or less. I know what you mean about those anime junkies, they got me too, despite a couple baqd trips.
- CD
--
My particular favorite version of this song is one that Roger Daltry did with the Chieftans -- imagine instead of that great guitar solo the music suddenly surges into this incredible Celtic/Irish arrangement...
Oh, and I'm pretty damned fond of the original, too.
As for a power, I always thought of it as giving Doug intuitive insight into the movitations and thoughts of a particular villain (who of course had to be in range when the song started).

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.