Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: From a musical...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry, I happened to be watching a DBZ ep for some reason today, and I was struck by this.
We've established that Doug in a DBZ universe is bad. Well, maybe this could help him out on the powerscale:
"Everything you can do I can do better" - yes, the classic music number.
Come on, it's should be DBZ's THEME MUSIC.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Somehow, I doubt Doug has enough power for that kind of thing to work.- Aleh, who is currently working on a Ranma fic in which Kunou decides the only way to beat the 'Foul Sorcerer' is to learn his ways... and is currently running around wearing a black helmet and calling himself 'Darth Kunou'.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Well, the song is actually one of his established powers -- I'm too lazy to dig up the link to the "song spellbook" topic, but it's there in the list somewhere. But I agree -- given what I know of DBZ, Doug just might burn himself out trying to match some of those attacks.

-- Bob
---------
And all the girlies say I'm pretty dry for a wet guy...
Quote:
Doug just might burn himself out trying to match some of those attacks.
Yeah, basically anything after the Z got added is too over the top for Dou for the most part - he could probably be a distraction for the duration of "I'm a Pioneer" or "Ray of Light" even as far along as Cell, dodging around and taunting, and in a support role his wide variety of abilities would still be invaluable, but as a front line fighter he's really only up to Dragon Ball no-Z, and probably before Piccolo's intro even then.
Still, it might be fun, in a SI-busting sort of way, to have him in DBZ just long enough to get absolutely and completely boggled, save somebody's bacon (preferably someone who's usually allowed to die in the name of the plot, or because they don't have enough airtime to be 'important' - the farmer Vegita offs when he first shows up, future-Gohan in the alternate world Trunks time travels from, or whatsisname Freeza's blue-skinned prettyboy lieutenant spring to mind) and then trip on outta there. A gate-type soing that he's avoided because it implies planetary destruction would be the perfect thing to get him off Namek when it's already starting to break up due to Freeza's Super Cheese Ball attack, or one of the planetoids in GT that someone powers up to SSJ4 on and inadvertantly damages that way.
As to the mentioned song - it specifies that any hit Doug takes and remains able to fight he returns at the same power and with bonuses to strike. This requires the attack he wants to mimic *not* vaporizing him and everything else in a five hundred foot radius first. Hell, in one of the movies Vegita takes a PUNCH from Brolly that makes a crater that big when he hits a cliff afterwards, but I don't think our boy is quite so durable.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Doug would be reduced to a fine red mist rather quickly in most DBZ battles, yes, so "Anything You Can Do" wouldn't exactly help much there.

-- Bob
---------
You have to admit, it is DBZ's theme song, though.--
From what I know of DBZ, yes, I have to admit that it is indeed the perfect theme song.
Oh, and in going over V&V rules in my head, I realize that Doug wouldn't burn himself out trying to use it on a DBZ attack -- he'd quite literally kill himself. (Burn all power points, and when that wasn't enough, his hit points. "It's a great trick, but I can only do it once." )

-- Bob
---------

Scrambler

I suppose he could also bust up another SI cliche by being a non-combatant in a DBZ setting. At the very least he could keep alive with "I will survive"
Yeah, as long as there are no more than 3 minutes of battle in any given day...

-- Bob
---------
No problem. The rest of the time is taken up with dramatic speeches, ground-shaking power charging, and grunting.
And Krillin saying, "This is nuts!"
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Of course, those remaining three minutes take five episodes to show...

-- Bob
---------
Wasn't the 5-minute Battle with Freeza like 25 episodes?--
It was quite a few, but keep in mind something that was first shown in the original DB's first Tenka'ichi Budoukai sequence: when a DB/Z character is powered up (or just focusing), time appears to slow down.- Aleh, who is currently working on a Ranma fic in which Kunou decides the only way to beat the 'Foul Sorcerer' is to learn his ways... and is currently running around wearing a black helmet and calling himself 'Darth Kunou'.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Quote:
It was quite a few, but keep in mind something that was first shown in the original DB's first Tenka'ichi Budoukai sequence: when a DB/Z character is powered up (or just focusing), time appears to slow down.
Yes, in DBZ physics, pumping yourself full of energy speeds up your personal timescale, which is why, for example, Krillin can watch the battles and see them about as well as a normal RL person watching a RL martial arts master go at it (that is, peaople shaped blurs that occasionally resolve clearly) while SSJ2 Vegitto and Buu can see each other fine, and all the normal humans watching in the city below can only see the occasional contrail or shockwave and hear the sonic booms.
I'd have to say that DBZ already has all the fighters it needs, anyway, so for the purpose of adding something meaningful to the mix instead of replacing someone, a healing/support character is surely the way to go.
- CD
--
Doug can do that, yeah, but as I may not have made previously clear... I don't particularly care for DBZ...

-- Bob
---------

Scrambler

True, you may not like DBZ, but the concept of being a non-combatant may be used for other steps.
Quote:
True, you may not like DBZ, but the concept of being a non-combatant may be used for other steps.
Is there really that much anime out there where Doug would be overpoered, though? Short of giant robot shows, I mean. He might have a bit of trouble in, say, Naruto or Condor Hero, but not so much he'd be sidelined, and I can't think of anything else offhand that's between there and DBZ... Fist of the North Star is *bloodier* but I don't think the combatants are any stronger than upper level Naruto characters, and if anything the 'ninja magic' in Naruto is more powerful.
As an aside, unless DBZ sets you off like Evangelion sets me off, it might be worthwhile looking at Dragoness Eclectic's fanfic series - they're really good, and accessible even if you don't know the original canon. They're kind of DBZ fic for people who don't like DBZ. Link, link, where's my link... Ah, here.
- CD
--
Quote:
Is there really that much anime out there where Doug would be overpoered, though? Short of giant robot shows, I mean.
Good question; I don't know. Saint Seiya, maybe? Depends on how much "divine power" the saints have; I only know the series by reputation and a couple fics, so I can't say. Doug might be out of his league in Moldiver, although that probably won't stop me if I choose to make it a Step. The upper end of the Tenchi Muyo power spectrum is certainly too high for him; might even be too high for Hexe and Silverbolt...
I'll have to think on this when I have a little more free time.

-- Bob
---------
Is there really that much anime out there where Doug would be overpoered, though?
Guyver manga after the Gigantic armor shows up. I think Mirabilis' generating a black hole over Tokyo and Archanfel's telekenticially parting the Pacific Ocean qualifies.
The Iczer series: Iczer-1, Iczer-3(Iczer Reborn), Iczelion
Devilman
Ambassador Magma
Black Jack
Hyperdolls
Serial Experiment Lain
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Huh. I never thought of "Lain". Yeah, he'd think it was a completely mundane world at first, and then ... yow.
Right, stay out of there.

-- Bob
---------