Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: backfire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just curious.... what happens the second time Doug plays a 'backfire' song? does it blow up in his face again? does it do nothing? does it turn him into a giant chicken?
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

WengFook

hmm I am guessing it simply doesnt work anymore... doug just gets treated to the song playing again....
just my 2 cents...
A backfire is just like any other song effect -- it happens any time Doug hears the song. "Backfire" is a bit of a misnomer -- it implies a one-time bad result; it's really more like an extremely unpleasant useless result. (Although "useless" is of course relative; I can think of one in-game situation where Doug made creative use of a backfire.)
As a general rule, Doug does not repeat a backfire experience if he can at all help it. To minimize mistakes, he tends to erase those songs from his helmet.
Yes, that means every "backfire" gate song he hit during the early part of the story is now permanently useless for other gating purposes.

-- Bob
---------
And all the girlies say I'm pretty dry for a wet guy...

WengFook

wow thats dangerous indeed....
so backfires occur anytime doug listens to the same song?
So it puts him at risk if he is strolling down a row of shops and so happens to hear a backfired song playing inside... he experiences the backfire again? owtch... it will sertainly make harvesting songs very hard -___-
That's one reason why he uses his "tuneplug" when he's not in full uniform -- to prevent exactly that kind of accident. Fortunately, not all backfires are destructive or dangerous (outside of combat, that is). Some are just annoying. The canonical example of this is an incident I've mentioned several times -- trying to use Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" to get a Size Increase power, he instead turned himself into a human Macy's Parade balloon and floated helplessly over the combat the Warriors were in; he was extremely lucky all the bad guys were too involved with other matters to take a shot at him...

-- Bob
---------
And all the girlies say I'm pretty dry for a wet guy...