Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Wondering ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have to wonder what 'Sympathy for the Devil' (If you don't know who sang this and at least some of the lyrics, shame on you!) might do for/to Doug, espescially if it happened to get played while hr was in OMB... Being as how he avoids music with references to religious beings (and probably wisely so, all things considered) it might be difficult to set up, though. Another one that might have interesting potential is 'Time Is On My Side', though the effect that immediately springs to my mind is from ... dammit, I forgot the name of thhe movie... where a demon who can possess anyone who touches the current host, or in extremity any living creature it can reach in gaseous form in three seconds or so, and the detective trying to stop the demon is walking along the street, with the demon pasing from one pedestrian to another around them, making them sing that song... After we saw that movie, a couple of my friends and I walked around in front of the theater for a while pulling that trick - it really freaked a couple people out - and a couple others got it, and picked up the song when 'tagged in.' Sometimes, being in a town full of college students is indeed worthwhile ;?)
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
This might be a very interesting option for the 'opposing team'... We know Doug routinely wears his Tuneplug to avoid accidental activation of his metapower... supose someone dispatched an Imp of the perverse to cause it to fail at, of course, the worst possible moment."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Caligostro

... like while he is in the middle of some fair ground, with every ride playing a different song for at least 100 yards in every direction tightly packed with people?
What would happen if his plug just broke for one reason or another, forcing him to create a new one? If this happens in the middle of some run it could create some rather nasty problems for him. Or he would become Mr. Walkman, if just to avoid having to wear his helmet all the time :-)
-- Cal
Quote:
This might be a very interesting option for the 'opposing team'... We know Doug routinely wears his Tuneplug to avoid accidental activation of his metapower... supose someone dispatched an Imp of the perverse to cause it to fail at, of course, the worst possible moment.
"If you can't beat'em, make 'em join you," sort of thing? (I always prefeered the variation form The Four Post-Men's song, _Whatever Happened To The Chainsaw Juggler_ myself - "If you can't beat 'em, let ME beat 'em!") Given that it's generally harder to recover from being evil (in fiction, I make no claims either way for the real world) than to start, having a song that turns him teporarily into a demon might indeed be a VERY VERY BAD THING. On the other hand, if iher hand, if it didn't have that much mental effect, it might be just the ticket to sne for a few minutes' worth of stealth to get a good-guy team foot in the door of some demonic stronghold.

Thinking about it some more, the most likely literal wording effect for 'Time is on my side' would be for Doug's personal timeframe to speed up, making him able to operate really fast, for as long as the (also speeded up) song lasts, at least. It would be like that one episode of Batman The Animated Series where Tempus Fuget the clock-obsessed villain gets his hands on some little clip on thingies that do the same thing, and at the end he and Bats and Robin have it out in a grey, frozen world - then the effect wears off, and all the secondary effects of it happen to the world, blasts of wind, splashes across the water where one of them pulled a Flash and ran over it, explosives going off in odd (safely remote) places, etc. Alternately, it might be one of those songs where he can tell something's happening, but not what - and what it's doing is making sure no time altering effects are happening in the neighborhood (not like you could tell this, unless facing a time-bender of some sort) or paging Sailor Pluto/the Norns/Dr. Who/??? and whoever it is just hasn't been in the same reality to notice, or hasn't deigned to answer. If it's The Norns, then a note that he got a bad feeling about trying it too often and stuck it in the list of songs that he doesn't play would probably be a good thing to include - but when the local Norns are the AMS versions, that could be a more useful/less dangerous thing.
Uh, yeah, so anyway...
- CD ...and as they stormed the mountain and kicked him to death, he said one more thing! He said "OW! Stop kicking me! Aargh! Not in the skull! Stop kicking me! I'm dieing!"
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Loki Laufeyjarson

I don't think that 'Sympathy for the Devil' would give Doug a good power or represent a major weakness. There are many more songs out there that would be more likely to have an effect to turn Doug evil. There is not much in the lyrics that could easily interpreted into some likely effect, good or bad.
The most prominent theme is the part about guessing his name. (That might have some effect in a world where true names hold power.) Unless Doug's subconsciousness latches onto the title, my guess would be a dud. If the Title works it might even be a useful song in places like the EVA step (geofront=inferno), among the archetypes of a gnostic Utena-step or just anywhere, where demons and devils are not necessarily the bad guys.
I like the idea of taking the 'Time is on my side' phrase literally. Sounds downright discworldian; come to think of it, Pratchett might even have used a joke like this in 'Thief of Time'.
What can I actually say to all this? That's some seriously philosophical exploration of the subject matter. Just about the only thing I could post at this point would be something like "Cool ideas!", and somehow that just doesn't seem like enough.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
So I guess that means we did a good job of it?
:?)
- CD
--
Yup.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.