Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Looking for a power idea...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This song feels like it should have a power associated with it- it has that 'spark' to it. I just can't think of what it is! Any suggestions?

http://www.animelyrics.com/index.php?ac ... hetwilight

Come with me in the twilight of a summer night for awhile

Tell me of a story never ever told in the past

Take me back to the land

Where my yearnings were born

The key to open the door is in your hand

Now fly me there

Fanatics find their heaven in never ending storming wind

Auguries of destruction be a lullaby for rebirth

Consolations, be there

In my dreamland to come

Now take me there

I believe in fantasies invisible to me

In the land of misery I'm searchin' for the sign

To the door of mystery and dignity

I'm wandering down, and searchin' down the secret sun

Come with me in the twilight of a summer night for awhile

Tell me of a story never ever told in the past

Take me back to the land

Where my yearnings were born

Now take me there

to the land of twilight

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
The first, most obvious thought to cross my mind was "some kind of transportation." Then it occurred to me that it would be very ironically
frustrating for Doug if this song opens a Gate to infallibly take somebody else to their home -- as long as
it isn't Doug's home (that is, Warrior's World).
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Lordpanther14

It does sound like a gate song. As I was reading it I thought about Full Metal Alchemist. Ed and Al could definitely use a way to get back home since the
gate they use tends to take limbs off in the process.
I'm not sure how you get "take someone else to their home", because it seems like a straightforward gate song to me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Pure nastiness.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Late to the party, I say that this will, in a setting with two or more worlds internal to it, open a gate between them: getting to Narnia or Never-Never-Land from their corresponding Englands, for example.
Mmm. Yes, that's a good possibility.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
The song generates a one use key to a known house, estate or other domicile.  After that all you need is a door (ore arched gate) with a lock.
And the door opens up in the specified house, or to a gate.
Interestingly enough this is a fairly common shtick for some universes.
Oh! Another possibility: it's a Gatesong that takes him back to the land where his yearnings were born, that is, Valdemar (since his greatest yearning, to return home, would have been born on his first Step). This places its proper in-story use at the beginning of the denouement of Girls, Girls, Girls, since Dee started her Walk in order to recruit Doug's help for something.
Still another is a kind of 'modal' ability (that is, choose up to n of the m possible functions in the first moments of the song, and you can't change them): Doug chooses one: take someone else home (as per DHBirr's suggestion), or provide everyone in AoE who has a more controllable method of Walking the Worlds with all the information (and possibly something to ameliorate power requirements) needed to take Doug home, and a very slight 'push' to do Doug this favour (just enough to convince someone seriously waffling). These are essentially the same interpretation with Doug in different positions: in the first, he's the audience, so "the key to open the door" is in his hand, but it has to be the destination of the target (who takes the role of "singer"); in the second, he's the singer, so he's putting the key in somebody else's hand (he can give you the key, but he can't use it himself).