Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Makin' Magic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Song is by Tesla, from their 1989 album "The Great Radio Controversy." While a nookie song played absolutely straight, there's enough there for Doug's wonky metagift to work with for it to potentially be an EXTREMELY versatile multi-effect song. The many repetitions of "Makin' Magic, makin' magic, it ain't no mystery" alone would imply (at least) imparting knowledge of magical theory and practise for the duration (just over five minutes) and possibly actively cast, though perhaps only at night and possibly wth some limitation in classes of effect - energising a person (or perhaps animating an object/construct), heat/fire, water, flight, being set free, wind, possibly visual illusions, and possibly some reference to Transformers depending on whether Doug knows of them and the "more than meets the eye" catchphrase. The mention of night might put darkness under its purview as well as or instead of being a use limitation, too.

Like I said, there's a lot of leeway in that list, potentially making this one exceedingly useful song, even if it amounts to thinking of an effect he wants within those constraints, then playing the song and using the five minutes to do a ritual casting to make it happen rather than combat casting - though in such a case, given that Doug can channel enough power to make large amounts of matter directly out of energy, I'd allow for some hella-powerful spells to be cast. Like, cast an illusion over an entire city that lasts 24 hours type power, or a literal eternal flame (or water fountain, or even a dust devil, depending) to mark the grave of a fallen ally.

Full lyrics:

Now, I don't wanna waste your time, I only want to satisfy.
So wind me up and watch me go, I'm gettin' crazy as the night unfolds.
Gimme, gimme what I want, Keep it up now, don't stop,
And I will do the same for you. I'm gonna take it over the top.

What you see ain't what you get, There's more than meets the eye.
'Cause you ain't seen nothin' yet. It's up to us, me and you,
Together we can fly high, high.
I got you, now you got me. Feels so good to be

Makin' magic, makin' magic, It ain't no mystery. Come on!

Get down, way down low. C'mon let's get on with the show.
And let the music set you free. Like a leaf in the wind, let it be.
Gimme what I need to satisfy This dirty one-track mind.
You know I ain't got nothin' but time To burn with you tonight.

Now anything you see is everything you get
At your desire. I know it's makin' you hot and know it's soakin' me wet.
Higher and higher, feedin' the fire, Let it burn.
He's got her and she's hot and you got me. Don't it taste so sweet!

Makin' magic, makin' magic, It ain't no mystery.

Now, when I get into you, get into me. The rest is history.
Makin' magic, makin' magic, Let's get it together. C'mon.
Ready, get set, just like one two and three!

Now it's taking me away to that magical land.
Many will search and never find what's yours and mine.
You got me burnin' hot, now you're soakin' me wet.
Even better thana lick and a kiss.

Now, you think you've seen it all. You ain't seen nothin' yet. It sure beats the rest.

- CD, alternately, it could just cause Doug to sprout naughty tentacles. They are what makes it magical, after all.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
It would either be limited to magical theory and knowledge, or if it was really that powerful, it would not be a spell to "force", and could require a HUGE mana pool nearby, otherwise it WILL knock Doug unconscious from the drain. With a hellacious chance of backblasts when he fails to control an effect, which is a definite possibility when slinging around that much power.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Well, Doug's already quite knowledgeable on magical theory, so that option wouldn't really net him much. And I'm always a little hesitant about interpretations that broadly violate his usual limits of range, duration and area of effect. I'll have to think on this one.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I get a completely different vibe from that song (especially considering Tesla is a hard-rock band): Conjure simulacrum of Dark Schneider.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Well, Doug's already quite knowledgeable on magical theory, so that option wouldn't really net him much. And I'm always a little hesitant about interpretations that broadly violate his usual limits of range, duration and area of effect. I'll have to think on this one.
My mistake, then - I thought he was mainly a tech guy who knew something about crafting enchanted items because he can do it by accident (and irreproducibility is anathema to an engineer) and doing it intentionally doesn't require active casting (which his song-power is a broken version of.) At any rate, staying true to one's character concept is hardly a bad thing - especially when my foundation assumptions were so far off. (It's been a while since I reread the DW stories.) The Darshu simulacrum idea does fit well also - Tesla fits that series so well that there could easily be a lightning-based uberspell named after them. Of course, the question then becomes, when did Doug meet the Exploder Wizard, and was it hilarious or merely terrifying (to him and/or everyone around them, depending on how his trademark snap judgements fell and exactly where and when he arrived...)

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
So, this is one of those songs that the magic goes somewhere else other than where Doug or other observers can currently see...

Or, as it's a "Nookie" song, it leaves every "Viable" female in AOE sexually satisfied.