Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Band of Brothers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

You never lived to seeWhat you gave to meOne shining dream of hope and loveLife and liberty
With a host of brave unknown SoldiersFor your company, you will live foreverHere in our memory
In fields of sacrificeHeroes paid the priceYoung men who died for old men's warsGone to paradise
We are all one great band of brothersAnd one day you'll see we can live togetherWhen all the world is free
I wish you'd lived to seeAll you gave to meYour shining dream of hope and loveLife and liberty
We are all one great band of brothersAnd one day you'll see - we can live togetherWhen all the world is free?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Hazard

Hmmm.

I'd guess 'summon fallen battle companion,' and it has to be someone who fought at Doug's side and died in combat, or took injuries in combat that caused his death later. Choral versions are the same, except it's a number of people up to the of singers in the choir, and military choirs are slightly different still, granting the ability to summon every single soldier that served that unit and died under the same circumstances, except Doug needs not to have fought besides any of the soldiers, or besides the unit, for that matter. For example, if Doug were to record the Coldstream Guards' band and soldiers performing this song he'd be able to call up every guardsman that died in combat or of injuries taken in combat since the regiment was founded in 1650.

Of course, having the power to pull a stunt like that is a different question.
Summoning from the dead..yeah. Summoning a simulacra...might be doable. Might be interesting if he summons simulacra of Easy company 2/506th PIR.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
One of a few songs that always brings tears to my eyes when I hear it.
I would concur on it being simulacra, but I would argue in favor of both 1) at least died of Injuries incurred at doug's side and 2) the number of them being limited more like the Warriors simulacra summoed by With a little help from my friends
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Hazard

I figured them being less simulacra and more like Fate's Heroic Spirits; actually sort of the soul of the person in question but not quite. Except that, you know, none of the supernatural oomph those guys have, they are really only about as powerful as they were in life or as much as Doug can support with his magic.

I also figure that the song is more efficient when calling up groups of otherwise ordinary guys. Utter badasses, possibly, especially if he manages to get a recording of a bunch of SEALs or SAS troopers since that would then allow him to pull on those units' history, but no empowerment beyond good training. Because then the song is not best used as a similar trick to 'With a Little Help From My Friends,' but as 'summon military unit.'

And of course, most likely a power hog song by most standards. Because even just E company 2/506th PIR would under the rules I proposed easily be something like 400 guys he could in theory call upon. And unless the opposition is breaking out the modern armoured vehicles, they'll be equipped to handle almost anything.
A full strength parachute rifle company would be 127 men and officers. Given at what stage of the war you'll be looking at 60-90 percent strength at any given time.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Hazard

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
A full strength parachute rifle company would be 127 men and officers. Given at what stage of the war you'll be looking at 60-90 percent strength at any given time.
Ah, but what of those that died in the service? IIRC they took extensive casualties throughout every operation they were involved in, and the rules I proposed noted that if he could call upon the unit he could call upon every soldier that served in that unit that fell in battle or died due to combat injuries...
Doug does have a limited radius of effect, summon too many soldier and there's no room to move.
Been thinking about this one for a while now. Doug already has a "call up the dead" song, cued up for use in the Sailor Moon Step. He can certainly manifest more than a hundred simulacra, as long as they don't have to be too sapient or powerful -- "76 Trombones" generates an entire marching band, after all -- but a good soldier needs more power and brains than a member of a marching band.

I'm going to have to keep thinking on this one.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
You also have to keep in mind that Doug's power/subconscious occasionally goes out and does what it wants to do anyways.