Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Some questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bmull

Bob,
I was reading the final chapter of Interviewing Leather as pointed out in the Still Another Updates Thread: Extreme Edition thread and I started thinking on what music would Doug play when he just wanted to relax. No power, nothing but kicking back and listening to some sounds. As not all songs give Doug a power there should be songs that Doug likes and don't give him a power. Given that some people try and write songs to GIVE him powers are there people trying to write songs he likes that DON'T give him powers?
Bri
If this has been asked before, sorry, a search of the archives found nothing.
Well, since Doug's magegift requires lyrics for activation/guidance, I can see him relaxing to classical music, like Mozart or Bach.__________________
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." - Terry Pratchett

bmull

True, but if I remember correctly, Bob said that there are some songs, with lyrics, that do nothing. In that case, there should be some that he likes that he can listen to with out having to worry about something happening.
Two other options are 1) that he can listen to a song that does do something but he suppresses the effect. In that case, would he be able to just relax or would the suppression get in the way? or 2) that Doug just listens to songs in a language he doesn't speak; as he has to understand the lyrics in order for the song to do something.
At one time or another, I know I've indicated that Doug listens to instrumental jazz and classical for relaxation. And yes, he could listen to "null power" songs as well -- but you know, I've never bothered to list the songs that don't do anything, as I've always been more interested in the songs that did, for some fairly obvious reasons.-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
The songs that are ballads would probably be like that.
Remember the Alamo for example would have no powers asscoiated with it.
Real Amercian by Derringer looks to be another one. The only power that I can see being used is that it inspires confidence in men from the US. A sort of null power if there ever was one, since Dough is usually very confident.
A lot of the stuff by the Kingston Trio really doesn't have much that can be translated into a power. MTA for example was a song to protest the raising the subway cost by a nickel. 100 Miles to Tucamcari is just a person making a complaint about being away during a war and what it cost him.
Does Doug speak Spanish? If he doesn't, then there is the Enya song Orionco Flow(Sail Away if you want to call it that)
IIRC any song that is in a language that Doug doesn't understand wiil have no real effect on him.
Moving on to a song that might be of use to Doug AFTER he talks to Ed, is Open a Book by Jem and the Holograms.--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
--------------------
Quote:
Does Doug speak Spanish? If he doesn't, then there is the Enya song Orinoco Flow(Sail Away if you want to call it that)
Uh, Orinoco Flow's lyrics are in English...
...Mind you, your point still stands, because they're kinda hard to understand. Maybe Doug's subconscious won't?--------------------
I'll snap your neck like a tomato!

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Quote:
...Mind you, your point still stands, because they're kinda hard to understand. Maybe Doug's subconscious won't?
See my posts every few years on the subject of the Cocteau Twins and their utterly incomprehensible, allegedly English lyrics.
--Sam
And that's this year's down.
What posts?
Who are the Cocteau Twins?--------------------
--------------------
A Scottish band (containing no one named Cocteau) known for heart-stoppingly beautiful music and the glossolalic lyrical stylings of Liz Fraser. Check out the song "Heaven Or Las Vegas" here.
I have to wonder what, if anything, Doug would make of songs like that.
--Sam
"Surf's up, space ponies -- I'M MAKIN' GRAVY WITHOUT THE LUMPS!!!!!"