Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: On flying motorcycles...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Me ending up signing up on the forum here was an aftereffect of a couple of e-mails I sent to Bob commenting on how the 'variable geometry' hoverbikes that Doug comments on having had in the past sounded a lot like some MASK toys (and I pointed him to the silliness of the Ninja Storm hoverbike, where the whole wheel assembly spins around like a rotor *under* the bike).
Well, I just spotted a more *current* edition...Bob, hie thee to a Toys R' Us or similar store and find the Motorcycle/Hoverbike from the 'Sigma Six' toy line (it's supposed to be the latest version of GI Joe). The front wheel mounting is an odd fork, which rotates from vertical to horizontal in the 'hover' mode...and the back fork (and wheel) splits in half and flattens out to the sides...
Hmmm. Now that I look at the title again, I wonder what would happen if Doug landed in the middle of Megaforce. Probably help the 'Egg' *design* the Delta Mark 4, if nothing else. :-) Not to mention the 'inverse photosensitve' coloring materials...
For those like me who don't want to wait to go to a Toys 'R' Us, here's a link to a pic of the unfolded hoverbike:
Hoverbike toy photo
The wheel separation and spread in the back is precisely what I had/have in mind; Doug's original bike in WW does it with both wheels using a hydraulic mechanism. Skuld's implementation isn't going to split the wheels, of course, but it'll probably use a mechanism close to whatever this cycle is supposed to have.
Thanks for the info, Vulpis!
As for what Doug would do, I can't say. I haven't clue one about the setting.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Ah...as usual, your Google-fu is much stronger than mine, grasshopper. But glad it was of use--I know it's always easier to describe odd tech devices when you have some sort of visual referent to work from.
As for Megaforce...the IMDB entry is at www.imdb.com/title/tt0084316/ --if you can ever locate a copy of it (VHS only...afaik, noone's *ever* put it out on DVD, and no clue if there's a torrent of a VHS-rip anywhere), definitely watch it...it's lovely 80's hokiness on par with GI Joe...
Sadly, I break out in hives when exposed to 1980s hokiness. Just ask my wife.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Well, if you can't handle direct exposure, here's a good (and funny) plot synopsis.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Quote:
Well, if you can't handle direct exposure, here's a good (and funny) plot synopsis.
Oh, Dralm, yes. Fortunately, I didn't pay money to watch this abomination, or I probably would've committed seppuku out of shame at my stupidity. The synopsis captures it perfectly.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

WengFook

IIRC the MASK bike's rotors unfolded over the bike to make it more like a helicopter Big Grin
but looking at that bike toy... honestly. its a flying motorcycle. and it looks like its main armanents are two katana strapped to the front of it O_o?
A thought on what to do with the back wheel, if it was me deciding what to do with the back wheel i'd have it extend out behind the bike and flip horizontal to match the front or leave it upright and let it act like the rear fan blades of a helicopter, rather than have it somehow split into two parts Tongue_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja airstrikes
at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.
Actually, there's two different motorcycles in the MASK line (at least)...the green one that turns into a little Firebee-esque heli, and the one I was pointing out to Bob to begin with where the front and rear wheels both split to turn the thing into a 'quad hoverbike'.

WengFook

bwah. I guess memory is failing me :S cause I certainly don't remember the quad hoverbike :S_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja airstrikes
at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.