Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: DW Ontology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Murmur the Fallen

Not sure whether to put it here or in the OMG thread, but here goes:
Just finished the TEnchi Muyo oav 3 special, a sort of coda to the third oav and even a prequel to the tenchi spin-off in the works, and it occured to me to ask if the Washu/Tsunami/Tokimi triad were a manifestation of the triple-goddess like belldandy urd skuld are.
what do you think, mr. bob?
-murmur
...If that's the case, then Tenchi has been purpose-designed to be more powerful than The Three.
I think I'll go hide under my bed now. Which will be difficult as it has a solid wood base, but needs must.
--Sam
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Quote:
what do you think, mr. bob?
It is certainly an idea that has crossed my mind more than once. One of the more ... disturbing ... implications that I've come up with when pondering this is the possibility that Tenchi and Paradox are facets of the same being...
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
No, seriously, the TTW/SBU parallel is worthy of note - but it's less profound than you think. Remember, each 'player' doesn't put *everything* into each of their 'characters'.
So while the same Overmind might be behind Tsunami and Belldandy, it's a fairly distant connection.
And no, Tenchi is *not* an analogue of Paradox. If he *is* connected to an Overmind, it's a different one.

Sidebar:
What I find amusing is that in the Turn the Page universe, which one of the days I'll work on again, I've explored this. Skuld, Belldandy, and Urd are sort of daughters of Washu, Tsunami, and Tokimi.
But then, I've been sort of religious about putting in 3's all over TTP.
In that universe, the only relation Tenchi and that Paradox-analogue have is that they're hapless males involved (in various ways) with extremely strong-willed women.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]

Kokuten

Quote:
In that universe, the only relation Tenchi and that Paradox-analogue have is that they're hapless males involved (in various ways) with extremely strong-willed women.
If you like this sort of thing, or just want a nice sword/sorcery book with a strong female lead, pick up any of the 'chicks' books by/editted by Esther Friesner, they're wonderful.
-K, who thinks "women's liberation" should involve more battleaxes and broadswords than battleaxes and broadsWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Murmur the Fallen

"TTW/SBU parallel "
I've . . . I've got no idea what that means.
Anyway, presumably the continuity you guys would be using is the OAV one (though frankly the television one is a LOT simpler, and has the added value of having an endpoint in it--however, it also has less characters to draw from).
I'm actually unclear which sister is the elder, Washu or Tsunami . . .
So since Paradox and Tenchi are not dimensional analogues, emanations of the same aeon, what have you--who would be?
And who would be the analoge for Doug? Perhaps those two friends of Tenchi that he used to go to school with?
-murmur
Quote:
"TTW/SBU parallel "
I've . . . I've got no idea what that means.
Tsunami/Tokimi/Washuu - Skuld/Belldandy/Urd.
--Sam
"I got legs baby! I'M ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!!"
Quote:
Tsunami/Tokimi/Washuu - Skuld/Belldandy/Urd
That isn't how I'd match them up... I'd go with Tokimi - Urd, Tsunami - Belldandy, and Washuu - Skuld, for what I hope are obvious reasons...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Actually, I think the sequencing in that abbreviation wasn't significant. As far as I can recall from the story in question, it was indeed the associations you propose.
-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

You can be sure that Tokimi is the youngest of the Choushin, as she refers to the other two as her oneesama.
'Course, personality traits probably shouldn't carry over to all the emanations across universes.
You know, speaking of all thse three goddess thing, ever consider the possibility that the Tendo sisters are . . . no, no, I'm not going there.
-murmur
...so, metaphysically, Ranma is... Ryoko?
Well, it's not like Ryouga could be anyone but Nagi, is it?

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Quote:
You know, speaking of all thse three goddess thing, ever consider the possibility that the Tendo sisters are . . . no, no, I'm not going there.
There was a fic, never finished (whose name I can't remember either) in which the Tendo sisters were infused with what little was left of the (dead) Norns' spirits.
Not in the way you'd expect -- the point was to improve their lives, and Belldandy wouldn't change Kasumi one bit. No, this one was strictly by order of age. Wink
So: Vivacious, clubgoing Kasumi; sweet, kind, shy Nabiki; mad genius Akane...
--Sam
"Sidekicks don't kiss!"
Quote:
There was a fic, never finished (whose name I can't remember either) in which the Tendo sisters were infused with what little was left of the (dead) Norns' spirits.
John Olson's "The Way of Heaven". You can find it at www.fanfic.net/pub/Anime/...ons/Ranma/ under the file name "ranma.amg.the-way-of-heaven.gz".
Quote:
No, this one was strictly by order of age. Wink
Well, no, not exactly -- by what each daughter needed. That it happened to correspond to age was a coincidence.
Quote:
Vivacious, clubgoing Kasumi;
...who still took care of the family, she just wasn't focussed solely on it, and made sure the others were reasonably capable of handling her absence...
Quote:
sweet, kind, shy Nabiki;
...Well, not quite shy, and strangely enough no less a manipulator of people, but for different reaons and with different methods....
Quote:
mad genius Akane
...Um, not much I can say there.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
...so, metaphysically, Ranma is... Ryoko?
Which would make Ryouga ... Aeka? (whimper)
Quote:
Well, it's not like Ryouga could be anyone but Nagi, is it?
Oh, that's much better.
However... would that mean Tatewaki and Kodachi Kuno are Mihoshi and Kiyone?

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Mmm. Shampoo as Aeka?
- They both have purple hair
- They both come from far away alien cultures with weird marriage customs
- They both have an annoying grandparent who has designs on the hero
- They're both arrogant and assume their own culture is superior to the hero's
Hmmm.
ETA: And they both have similar high-pitched voices, despite Shampoo's clumsy Japanese.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
They both talk funny compared to the others around them (Shampoo's pidgin/Aeka's archaic, formal language).
-- Bob
---------