Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Need some copyright info...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Writing a Drunkard's Stagger has one non-obvious problem: when I use music from the radio or suggestions from the group, I have to end off paragraphs in the credits with the phrase "Copyright holder unknown to me." I don't like doing that...
I've tracked down copyright information for a few songs on the Internet, but the "information wants to be free" mentality means this information isn't usually provided. (Spot the logical fallacy in play here.) In some cases, I managed to track down the performers' websites, but came up empty-handed.
Then I realized: If anybody has copyright information for music, then so do the regulars here. Who can help me with these songs?
(I've slipped in a few songs that I'm not using, and not listed a few that I am using, just to preserve a bit of mystery...)

"76 Trombones", performer unknown, from the soundtrack to "The Music Man"
"99 Red Balloons", sung by Gabriela "Nena" Kerner, written by Kevin McAlea.
"Break On Through (To The Other Side)", by The Doors.
"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", performed by The Animals, written by B.Benjamin/S.Marcus/C.Cadwell.
"Friends of Mr. Cairo", by Jon and Vangelis.
"Herculean Bellboy", by Young and Sexy. (This piece hasn't been discussed yet. I'm seeing it as a "Nodwick" song, one way or another...)
"I Am the Slime", by Frank Zappa.
"I Will Follow Him", by The Chiffons(?)
[Edit: No, actually by Peggy March. Bob and I both had this one wrong... It was released in 1963 by RCA-Victor, but I don't know whether they, she, or someone else holds the copyright.]
"I'll Play For You", by Seals and Crofts.
"Knock on Wood", written by Eddie Floyd and Steve Cropper.
"Montage", performer unknown, from the "Team America" soundtrack.
Edit: Copyright 2004 Paramount Pictures
"Nemo", by Nightwish.
"Over the Top", sung by Miki Matsubara, from the "Dirty Pair: Project E.D.E.N." soundtrack.
"Raining Again", by Moby.
"Rubber Band Man", performed by The Spinners, written by Linda Creed and Thom Bell.
"She's So Cold", by the Rolling Stones, written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.
"Stalin's Organs", by GWAR.
"These Dreams", performed by Heart, written by Martin Page.
"Working My Way Back To You", by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.
"You May Be Right", by Billy Joel.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

bmull

A quick check finds this, hope some of it is useful for you:
Quote:
"76 Trombones", performer unknown, from the soundtrack to "The Music Man"
Writer: Meredith Willson
Performer: Robert Preston, Ensemble
Label: Warner Brothers
Quote:
"99 Red Balloons", sung by Gabriela "Nena" Kerner, written by Kevin McAlea.
Label: Epic
Quote:
"Break On Through (To The Other Side)", by The Doors.
Label: Elektra/Asylum records
And let me say, the Goldfinger cover of 99 Red Balloons is far better than the Nena one.
IIRC, it's the variant that Gryphon had the characters mimic in his Symphony of the Sword stories.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Quote:
And let me say, the Goldfinger cover of 99 Red Balloons is far better than the Nena one.
Well, yes, but it's more likely that Doug would have the original in his helmet jukebox...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
Well, yes, but it's more likely that Doug would have the original in his helmet jukebox...
I think the Goldfinger cover was on the "Stomping Grounds" album, from 2000. So Doug probably wouldn't have it unless it was released earlier on Warrior's World...or he could have picked it up in some other universe, of course. But it's more of a stretch.
-- Acyl