Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Finally...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
... a motorcycle that comes close to my mental image of what Doug's bike looks like -- here.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Reaction #1: Ooooooooohhhh, shiny...
Reaction #2: I see I'm going to have to make a slight change to the start of Blue Skies, Blue Water... because there's no way that Jean would recognize that as a motorcycle right off.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
...there's no way that Jean would recognize that as a motorcycle right off.
Are you sure? What with the differences we've already seen between that world and our own, bearing the Gratan's advanced-for-the-time design in mind, and considering Jean is an inventor in his own right, it seems to me he'd be able to put the concept together just as quickly as your original version depicted.
After all, it's still obviously a two-wheeled vehicle, so all he needs is to guess/deduce that some part of that flowing structure covers an engine, and there you are. Also, wasn't there something about him building a jet aircraft of sorts at one point? So, if he's already got that design in mind, and notices the turbine, that'll help him realize: bicycle + powerful motor + ultra-streamlining = WOW.DHBirr
"Up, lad, up! We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!"
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
I guess I should note that, at least as early as of the beginning of DW5, that beautiful, sleek design has a simple metal rack on the rear that holds one pannier/box above the rear fender and one on either side of the rear wheel, all of which are a bit outsized to carry all of Doug's stuff. However, the rack is detachable (Doug carried the whole assembly into his room in the temple, remember).

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Uhm, I'm getting a broken link.-NeoRaven
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allen Poe
Sponsored by Black Aeronaut Technologies -
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.
(tries) Well, damn. It was working a few hours ago.

-- Bob
---------
Okay, here's an article with a smaller pic.
And here's a page on Yamaha Japan's site with a different shot.
And for something that really looks like the "missile on wheels" that I describe Doug's bike as, go to this page and scroll down to the MAXAM 3000.
And, oh what the hell, here's the copy of the image I saved from the original article that's now a dead link:
[Image: dougbike.jpg]
Now that looks like it belongs in MegaTokyo, doesn't it? Imagine that with Doug's "civvie" black-and-flames design, or in business dress with pearly grey everywhere...

-- Bob
---------
Whoah... Yeah, I think missile on wheels is an apt enough description...
But maybe 'super-sonic-multi-aspect-seeking-smart-cruise-missile-on-wheels' is more accurate. Wink-NeoRaven
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.