Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Doug in BESM 2nd ed., rev.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A while back there was a thread by, I think, Drenivian about converting Doug into tri-stat. I can't find it, and I don't remember seeing the conversion posted.
That's been bugging me for a while, so I decided to do my own conversion, using BESM becuase I don't have a copy of Silver Age Sentinels.

Character Name: Douglas "Looney Toons" Sangnoir
System: BESM 2nd ed. Revised
Genre: Supers
Character Points: 67 Skill Points: 90
Race: Mutant Human
Stats
Body 8
Mind 10
Soul 6
Derived Values
Health 70
Energy 80
Shock 14
Psyche 8
Attack Combat Value 8
Defence Comat Value 6 +4
Attribute Level Point Cost Notes
Defensive Combat Mastery 4 8 +4 to DCV only (Field)
Dynamic Sorcery 5 20 See Defects
Ground Speed 1 2 Up to 50 kph
Item of Power 2 4 Helmet
Organization Ties 2 4 U.N. *
Owns a Big Mecha 2 8 Motorcycle
Personal Gear 2 2 Polykex armour, ID, etc
Sixth Sense 1 1 Mage Sight
Defects Bonus Points Notes
Famous 1 Priced as Wanted
Improbablity Field 1 Minor wierd things
Magical Restrictions 3 Needs songs,
uncontrolable
Significant Other 1 Shadowwalker *
[DW2 only]
Wanted 2 GENOM
Skeleton in the Closet 2 Outsider, the Loon.
Skills Level Point Cost Specializations
Acrobatics 2 4 Tumbling(?)
Computers 2 10 Programming
Electronics 2 8 Cybernetics
Magical Sciences 1 5 ?
Military Sciences 1 5 Tactics
Lingustics 3 6 French, Valdemaran,
Japanese
Social Sciences 1 2 Pop Music
Archery 1 3
Gun Combat 1 5
Melee Attack 1 4
Melee Defense 2 8
Ranged Defence 2 10
Thrown Weapons 1 4
Unarmed Attack 2 8
Unarmed Defence 3 12
Item of Power
The helmet (7 pts.)
Attributes Level Point Cost Notes
Features 3 3 Comms, Comp.,
Headlights, Night
Vision, Juke Box
Heavy Armour 1 2 Open, unarmoured face
Special Defence 2 2 EMP
Big Mecha
The bike (pts.)
Health 40
Attributes Level Point Cost Notes
AI 2 4
Features 1 1 Headlight, 2-way radio
Flight 3 12 Contra-grav
Ground Speed 4 8 ~300 kph
Shape Change 1 2 Colour only
Defects Bonus Points
Restricted Ground Movement 1 Road-bound
Exposed Occupant 2
* Only applies in the Warriors World

Notes:
BESM derived stats: Health and Energy are pretty straight forward. Shock is from the expanded combat rules, if a character takes more damage from a single attack than their shock value they must role against their Soul. If they fail the role they are incapacitated for a number of rounds equal to the amount they failed by.
Psyche is an optional stat for use in CoC type games. Every time a character makes a Psyche check they get a point added on (max 20). Every time they fail, they lose a point. At a Psyche of one, they go insane and are no longer PCs.
On attributes:
I didn't use the Warriors for Org. ties because they're a PC group.
Significant Other only counts for 1 BP because Shadowwalker is a PC.
On Defects, most of Dougs complications from Fuzion are things like Code of Honour and Stubborn that are not considered Defects in BESM as the player has control over them.
Skills are priced for Modern Military, and are most definately incomplete. For those unfamiliar with Tri-stat, skills are priced based on genre and usefullness within the genre. Skills are also optional in BESM and you're supposed to only take a skill that you've received extensive training in.
For instance, most people with drivers licenses in the real world would not get the driving skill. Professional race car drivers would.
I made Magical Sciences up and priced it as Military Sciences, mostly because it seems so important to the WW setting.
I didn't give specialties to the combat skills, mostly because I wasn't sure what to use.
Oh, and trying to do columns in eZboard really sucks. Does it do tables?
Firvulag,
--
Recursion : The art of defining something (at least partly) in terms of
itself, which is a naughty no-no in dictionaries but often works out okay in
computer programs if you're careful not to recurse forever, which is like an
infinite loop with more spectacular failure modes. (Programming Perl 3rd ed.)
I've never found any table coding for ezBoard, sorry.
Looks pretty good. I wouldn't say thaumatology ("Magical sciences") was really a big thing in WW -- it's just a big thing to Doug because it was key to both understanding his own metagift and restoring Shadowwalker to normal after the Vampire War.
What's a level-2 AI, which you've given the motorcycle? Doug's autopilot really isn't very sophisticated. (Well, relatively speaking. Voice-activated and can drive itself, that is a bit above state of the art for our world... But it's not KITT from "Knight Rider" by any measure.)
Archery among Doug's skills? I don't remember him doing any archery on-screen to justify that. Or is that part of some package deal that happens to work for him?
Anyway, thanks, this is very cool. I'd like to include this on the DW page when we can agree that it's finished.-- Bob
---------
Chaos isn't really chaos if it isn't Lawful part of the time.
Quote:
Looks pretty good. I wouldn't say thaumatology ("Magical sciences") was really a big thing in WW -- it's just a big thing to Doug because it was key to both understanding his own metagift and restoring Shadowwalker to normal after the Vampire War.

In that case it could be scaled back to two or three points per level. It still seems to be fairly useful, so I don't think I'ld cut it down to one.
Quote:
What's a level-2 AI, which you've given the motorcycle?

AI level 1 is a remote control, level 2 gives it some very simple decision making ability. It was capable of driving itself off through ADP lines at one point, so I think it's reasonable. Level 3 is where you start getting something with body and soul stats.
Quote:
Archery among Doug's skills?

In the EVA teasers he mentions being trained in just about every kind of weapon. I was just going down the list of combat skills. Although I seem to have missed Heavy Weapons somehow, and it does seem more likely that he'd have that.
Doug's your character so what ever you want to do with his representations is fine with me. I think I should work out armour and damage values for his polykev and the polykev knuckles in his gloves. Maybe I ought to up the armour in his helmet too. 10 points will stop most hand guns, but not heavier weapons.
Firvulag
--
With a Dremel tool and a cut-off wheel, _everything_ takes a flat-blade
screwdriver.
-- Matt Roberds in the Monastery
I'd like to say one thing. I know I asked to do the SAS trans, which is aparently tri-stat, I just haven't gotten the SAS book yet. I still plan on doing one, it may come out a little better than this BESM, it may not. The official song list actually helped me work out the floating power point pool for his metatalent.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
Quote:
In the EVA teasers he mentions being trained in just about every kind of weapon. I was just going down the list of combat skills. Although I seem to have missed Heavy Weapons somehow, and it does seem more likely that he'd have that.
Ah. Actually, when it came to medieval weaponry, it's really melee stuff that he has all the training in.
Yes, he does have a fair amount of skill with various modern and ultramodern guns, blasters, lasers and so on. Most of that is, well, "default" skill level, though -- for the sake of ease, I tend to mentally translate the handling of some skill issues into GURPS 3E Revised because V&V has no skill system; and with his stats, that makes his defaults on most guns somewhere around 18. (That's on 3d6, which is to say, serious pro to lower end of badass territory.) Those on which he has actually trained get much higher, but I try not to think about that, because it's not really part of the character as I play him. I just wanted to establish a little teaching authority in that scene, and I may yet yank the references entirely, because they are excessive.-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Drenivian:
I'd like to say one thing. I know I asked to do the SAS trans, which is apparently tri-stat, I just haven't gotten the SAS book yet. I still plan on doing one, it may come out a little better than this BESM, it may not. The official song list actually helped me work out the floating power point pool for his metatalent.

It probably will come out better. I find the 2d6 scale for BESM a little coarse for Doug, and if SAS is closer to what I've seen of the generic Tri-Stat DX book it might be able to represent his Mage Gift and Field better.
After re-reading the V&V to Fuzion notes, I think I ought to tack on some levels of Not So Strong to scale down his Body stat. This leaves him with an effective strength of 6, still above human average (4), but not quite so much so. And he's still doing 7 points of damage barehanded, which is almost the shock value of a normal human (8).
I could even make a case for getting rid of most of the combat skills. With a skill of 3 in unarmed defense he has an effective DCV of 13, which is basically unhittable. His unskilled DCV of 10 is bad enough.
For Bob: Should the polykev knuckles in his gloves add extra damage to his punches or just keep him from smashing his hands to pieces against things like boomers?
After looking at the weapons chart again I think the Helmet's armour could be upped by two levels of Light Armour (you can mix both types) giving it a total armour of 15.
A light pistol does (5 ACV) / 2 for low penetration, a heavy pistol does 10 ACV points of damage, and a machine gun does 15 ACV.
His polykev suit should probably be around level 3 or 4 heavy armour with the hidden attribute. This would stop either 12 or 16 points or damage.
And because I note that I didn't explain them earlier. ACV is Attack Combat Value, roll under it on 2d6 to hit. DCV is Defense Combat Value, roll under it to not be hit.
Revisions:
Add
Not So Strong for 1BP
Helmet gets Light Armour lvl 2 (2pts) stops 4 points
Edit
Magical Sciences (Thaumetology) for 2 points per level
Replace Archery with Heavy Weapons (5 pts a level)
Firvulag
--
Meanwhile, I consider the "News" on the radio (or TV, or deadtree) to
essentially all be a weather report. 30% chance of rain, 70% chance
of more stupidity from Parliament, 100% chance of rampaging Leafs fans.
-- Anthony de Boer
Quote:
For Bob: Should the polykev knuckles in his gloves add extra damage to his punches or just keep him from smashing his hands to pieces against things like boomers?
It just keeps him from smashing his hands. I added them solely for the Walk as a sop to the kind of "realistic" superpowers I wanted to depict in the story -- they're not in his V&V version. I needed to explain how he could punch through steel but not break his hands when he had no inherent superhuman toughness.-- Bob
---------