Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Song of the Day, 2/19/04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is one I wanted to put up for the longest time, but nowhere on the Net has it been transcribed before now. I had a chance to do so yesterday, though, and took it -- and despite the fact that the discussion over the last Song of the Day hasn't ended yet, I'm throwing this one up now.
I'll leave you all to try and figure out its implications. If indeed there are any.
-- Bob
--------------------
(Spoken)
The other night, I was walkin' down the street
I was gettin' kinda hungry
I decided to get me somethin' to eat
Now, I passed up all the chain franchise joints on Hamburger Row
And stopped at a little greasy spoon place I always eat at
Called "Eat" (Eat!)
Sit'n'gulp
Get you one of those greasy hamburgers all peppered up
Lay you up in the hospital for ten days.
So I order me up a couple of them greasebombs
Waitress brought'em over
Lifted up the bun, checked'em out
Damn! No ketchup
So I nudged the guy sitting next to me at the counter
I said, "Hey, partner, how about passing the ketchup over?"
Suddenly, this little-bitty green hand holding a ketchup bottle came into view
And I freaked!
Cause the guy sitting next to me
Was a Martian!
Now in twenty-eight years of eating hamburgers
I ain't never run into no Martian
Not at two-thirty in the morning
And certainly not at a fine scarfin' establishment like Eat (Eat!)
Well, he was sittin' over there with a bunch of colored sticks on his plate
And I looked over at him and I said,
"What you eatin' there, boy? Crayons?"
And he said
"Why, no, they're Martian cigarettes. Here, try one."
Well, 'bout a half hour later, he looked over at me and smiled
Them ol' Martians ain't got but two teeth in their head
And he said, "How do you feel?"
And I said
(Sung)
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll
I feel
So good
Yeah I do
Gonna boogie
Gonna boogie
Yow! 'Til the break of day
(music)
Yeah
(Spoken)
Meanwhile
Back at Eat
I was stiiiiiiillll
Thinkin'
I said
"How come out of all the places you could've landed you ended up here?"
He said
"Well accordin' to my lil ol' space map
This town here
Is supposed to be
The Boogie Capital of the USA!"
(music)
So I asked'im, I said
"Now where else you been, boy?"
And he told me.
(Sung)
He said I rocked'em over
And I rocked'em down
I rocked'em in the country
I rocked'em in town
Rocked'em from Memphis
On up to Maine
Rocked up a lady and she asked my name
Told her my name was on the tail of my shirt
Said rock it, see a Martian don't have to work
Yeah I feel so good
Yeah
Yeah
Gonna boogie
Yow! 'Til the break of day
Martian boogie!
-- Brownsville Station, Martian Boogie
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Sweet! I'm gonna guess that, like me, you heard that one through the machinations of the Good Doctor Demento.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Indeed I did. I taped it off the air in 1986, and recently transferred that tape to CD. In the process, I ripped MP3s of several of my favorite tracks -- which is what I was listening to when I realized I had my chance to transcribe.
I'm not real sure about a couple of the lines (no skin-diving equipment, though ), but I'm confident that they're reasonably close. "Rock it, a martian don't have to work" might in fact start something a little more obscene, but it's hard to tell from my track.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Oh, and one of these days, I've gotta have Doug call some place he's eating at a "fine scarfin' establishment".
Plus I want to use the "meanwhile, I was stiiiiilll thinkin'", which shows up in T.Rex's "Bang A Gong" and comes from something by, um, Chuck Berry, I think...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Oh, and one of these days, I've gotta have Doug call some place he's eating at a "fine scarfin' establishment".

I occasionally use the "Get you one of those greasebombs all peppered up, lay you up in the hospital for 10 days" when talking about some burger joint or t'other.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Yeah... I know a place or two like that, like The White Rose System in Highland Park, NJ.

-- Bob
---------

Or any McDonalds in the world...
Quick Fact: Did you know that until recently, when they advertised "We use 100% American Beef" they were lying? They incorporated a company as a subdivision of McDonalds Inc. which was called "100% American Beef" and used whatever cheap meats came to hand. So when they used that line in ads, they were *technically* telling the truth. The lie came to light recently when a neutral third-party company did an independant analysis of the meat they served, and what was in it. It got to the point that whenever these people showed up in fact, the McDonalds staff had apparently been ordered to keep a supply of REAL beef on hand, and start using it when the researchers ordered.
"So! Let's see that film on blinding techniques, and then we'll all go for lunch." -- Gryphon's favorite comment when people bring up anything that disgusts him about food.Brazil has decided you're cute.
Quote:
Did you know that until recently, when they advertised "We use 100% American Beef" they were lying? They incorporated a company as a subdivision of McDonalds Inc. which was called "100% American Beef" and used whatever cheap meats came to hand.
This looks suspsiciously like an urban legend, and a very low-circulation one at that, because I can find no other instance of anyone else claiming anything of the sort on the Web. Snopes.com doesn't have anything about it, either, but it does have this article, which points out that McDonald's cannot get enough lean beef to meet customer demand from purely US sources any more. It also points out that McDonald's is buying its non-US beef from Australia and New Zealand, which have more stringent regulations regarding beef, and whose cattle are grass-fed and thus do not need the megadoses of antibiotics that grain-fed American cattle do.

-- Bob
---------
It's an urban legend, which has been debunked about 3 dozen times, including by one of the biochemistry profs at my university.
(BTW, in Canada they use Canadian beef.)--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Thanks, Chris.
It did have that "too ridiculous to live" sound to it, either way.

-- Bob
---------