Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Oh, hey! What's this here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Murmur the Fallen

Oh, hey! What's this here? Why, it appears that one of our fellow DW fans has written yet another DW fanfic ( www.eclipse.net/~rms/dw-scbd.html ). And, hmm, it seems to be having Doug crossing into the Slayers world.
Well, now. For such a short set-up chapter ( www.eclipse.net/~rms/dw-scbd.html ), it's not half bad. I mean, there's not much story here, and Doug's a bit off, but at least the story ( www.eclipse.net/~rms/dw-scbd.html ) is better than thirty, possibly even forty per cent of what's on Fanfiction.net. Or at the very least, spelled "scintillating" correctly and is vaguely familiar with grammar.
-murmur
Who wonders if he should get pre-readers for this . . .
(Edits -- fixed URL embeds so they had no extraneous characters. -- Bob)
Gee, I wonder who wrote it?

I don't know if it's how I tend to think of Doug, but I did enjoy it. I look forward to the rest, even if it's not "official" Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
You know, if I'd been a little less fried, I would have remembered to promote Murmur's work over here in the DW area, instead of leaving it at the quick mention in the update notice in the website forum. Sorry 'bout that, Murmur.

-- Bob
---------
And all the girlies say I'm pretty dry for a wet guy...

Murmur the Fallen

So, anyway, I've finished the second chapter of the doug/slayers fan fanfic thing. It's a bit longer than the first chapter but not by much.
Anyway, this isn't about that.
It's a funny feeling, writing someone else's character and you get to talk with the creator at the same time. You worry a lot more about being OOC than you normally would for, say, Ranma 1/2.
I mean, you can say that Doug "doesn't think ahead much, is prone to hasty judgments, is a disappointed mystic, and has a sense of humor that depends a bit too much on obscure cartoon references" but, you know, beyond that, what else do the rest of you think is there? Is the question I wanted to ask.
Who is Doug?
The FAQ goes a long way of setting Doug in his context, but it doesn't really answer that question, does it? Nopenopenope.
Why does he spend so much time lecturing people? Is mercenary-magician-engineer the only three things he can do, or is it just that he chooses to do as jobs along his "walk"? Where does his snobbery come from, really?
and so on, and so on.
urrr.
-murmur
that was weird . . .
Quote:
Why does he spend so much time lecturing people?
Because I'm a lousy writer when it comes to disguising when I'm using him as a sockpuppet?
Because he likes feeling morally superior, especially if the alternative is feeling like a schmuck. This is very much a part of my own personality, one I'm trying to get rid of, and it comes out very strongly in Doug. The fact that he honestly feels that Warriors' World is in fact morally and ethically superior to the BGC world doesn't help. He'll probably be less prone to lecturing when he's in a world that he doesn't have as hostile a reaction to.
Quote:
Is mercenary-magician-engineer the only three things he can do, or is it just that he chooses to do as jobs along his "walk"?
Well, at the risk of shortcircuiting some interesting speculation, I can tell you something definitive here without spoiling any upcoming story. The "mercenary-magician-engineer" choice he sees for himself in DW2, really is the first time he even thinks about the matter. In DW1 (not that anyone will ever see it), he's a "guest of the Crown" for his entire stay, and never has to do anything to support himself. Further on in the Walk, he finds he has many other options. In DW3, for example, he ends up Sana Kurata's "hired thug" -- a fancy way of saying "bodyguard and babysitter". In DW6, he's a martial arts sensei. Similarly, in the Sailor Moon Step, he'll be a teacher of some sort; at the very least a part-time tutor. In the Utena Step, he's likely to be a travelling handyman. There are also hints of "between stories" stops in material I've written; for instance, I know he's been a groundskeeper at a private school during one stop that had no action or story to speak of.
Quote:
Where does his snobbery come from, really?
The joke response is, "He's a rich white guy from Beverly Hills. You have to ask?"
Seriously, though... You know, I can't answer this? He's really not that snobbish when I play him in-game. It's very strange how that aspect of his character developed in writing. I kept it because it gives me sources of conflict -- both with other people and within himself, because (as people may have already noticed) he's also very much the egalitarian at heart. (He's got Republican habits and Democratic ideals. )

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.

The Wanderer

Quote:
He's got Republican habits and Democratic ideals.
Sounds like my kind of guy.
Unless I'm radically misinterpreting either this or myself, either of which is possible.
(And I seem constitutionally incapable of letting most things go without a caveat...)
Quote:
for instance, I know he's been a groundskeeper at a private school during one stop that had no action or story to speak of.
*ROTFLUMSH*
Bob - that's wonderfully cruel - how many walks am I going to have to wait before you give the details on that one (and no, I don't want you to post it here, I'm feeling a but snarky myself today Smile
Quote:
He's got Republican habits and Democratic ideals.
Hmm... sounds similar to some of my opinions - I'm either a radical right wing liberal or a radical left wing conservative, depending on the issue... Smile
Offsides (Injun Joe is tickelish!)Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At LargeDrunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Quote:
So, anyway, I've finished the second chapter of the doug/slayers fan fanfic thing. It's a bit longer than the first chapter but not by much.
So, let's see it Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Needs a little work, and some promised material from me, before I'll approve it, Josh. But it's looking good. A different angle on Doug from mine, but still Doug...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Quote:
*ROTFLUMSH*
"UMSH"?
Quote:
Bob - that's wonderfully cruel - how many walks am I going to have to wait before you give the details on that one (and no, I don't want you to post it here, I'm feeling a but snarky myself today Smile
Didn't I mention that one at the beginning of DW6? Or is it one of the unnumbered Steps? I don't remember now.
Quote:
Hmm... sounds similar to some of my opinions - I'm either a radical right wing liberal or a radical left wing conservative, depending on the issue... Smile
I rather prefer one categorization: "Obnoxious Middle of the Road".

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.

The Wanderer

Quote:
I'm either a radical right wing liberal or a radical left wing conservative, depending on the issue...
I like to imagine a political campaign in which I describe myself as a "conservative liberal", to confuse the ideologues and promote the use of "conservative" as something other than "the opposite of liberal" (when in fact the opposite of "conservative" is "radical").
In practical terms I tend to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but there are exceptions to each.
Rolling
On
The
Floor
Laughing
Until
My
Sides
Hurt
The really funny thing is, he could be a groundskeeper for GTO or Kare Kano, and never even know it. Heck, he could be in Azumanga Daioh or I! My! Me! Strawberry Eggs! (BTW, the exclamation points there are from the actual title...)
Also, are you ever going to have Doug have a step where he KNOWS he "metafictional?" Like, for instance winding up on a pirate ship from one of his "homeline" comic books?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

cpt kangarooski

Ooh, what if the GTO and Azumanga schools were the same school? Hilarity would be sure to ensue.
Quote:
Also, are you ever going to have Doug have a step where he KNOWS he "metafictional?" Like, for instance winding up on a pirate ship from one of his "homeline" comic books?
Good question -- nothing's planned yet, but I have some open slots post-DW10 where I could work something in.
To be fair to the readers, though, it should probably be a setting they know, too...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Oh, and the school Doug worked/will work at isn't from any anime.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Quote:
Needs a little work, and some promised material from me, before I'll approve it, Josh. But it's looking good. A different angle on Doug from mine, but still Doug...
Quote:
OK, so send it to the prereaders' list Smile (Just Kidding - I can wait)
And you're being cruel to your fans again - well done

Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At LargeDrunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Quote:
OK, so send it to the prereaders' list Smile (Just Kidding - I can wait)
If Murmur doesn't mind...
Quote:
And you're being cruel to your fans again - well done

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.

Murmur the Fallen

Duuuh, nope nope nope.
Don't mind at all if the prereaders get at it. THe more people that see how crap I am in the first draft, the better the second shall be!
-murmur
Uh, haven't actually read the story yet, but just a minor error: the address in the link don't work. It has a few "undesired" characters tacked on to the end of the address.

(Voice suddenly whispers in ear)
"Thats to ensure that only people with a high enough computer knowhow and an IQ higher than an eggplant can actually get to the story. It ensure intelligent readership"
(Voice fades away to nothing)
Oh, never mind then.
Regards,
Micro Hue
----
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!', but 'That's funny...'" - Issac Asimov
Or is that so
Let me go in and fix those links. I'm surprised no one noticed or commented on that before now. Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.

Murmur the Fallen

Hurray! Hurray! Now people can go straight from this message board to the story ( www.eclipse.net/~rms/dw-scbd.html ), which was written by some poor soul.
-murmur
"I can't sell this costume for one still more Japanese," Passepartout, "Around the World in Eighty Day" by Jules Verne

Murmur the Fallen

So, I'm debating about whether or not I should post the rough draft here. Not sure if there's enough room on these things for it, so maybe I'll have to post in parts but . . . still . . .
So, should I, then? Mr. Bob? Everyone?
-murmur
"Don't be fooled by radio"
i'm willing to host the thing and you can just post the link...
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
That works for me, Z. I'd rather not have the entire thing dumped into a message here.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.

Murmur the Fallen

Not quite sure how to go about this whole "hosting" thing. do i send you, z, the thing or what?
Details, pwease?
-murmur
"So send a smile and show you care"
Pages: 1 2