Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Frustration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last week, while Peggy and I were walking around Broadway At The Beach (a place in Myrtle Beach that's 75% shopping mall and 25% theme park, laid out all around an artificial lake), we were enjoying a very nice selection of background music piped in through an endless supply of hidden and not-so-hidden speakers. And I do mean enjoy -- lots of good 80s, 90s and current stuff. They played a song that I knew, and somehow, my frame of mind was such that I listened to it and heard something I hadn't before, really -- and I turned to Peggy and said, "You know, I never realized it before, but that's a very appropriate song for Revolutionary Girl Utena."
Peggy listened, heard what I heard in that light, and agreed. We walked on, got distracted by the next shop, and promptly forgot about it until later.
And now, neither of us can remember what the song was! I've been wracking my brain for days. All I can remember is the exchange about it with Peg and the fact that it was 80s or 90s pop, and I have the vague conviction that there is some reference to revolution in it. Argh. This is driving me nuts!

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ed Becerra

I recently.. ahh.. acquired a high-powered piece of net-searching software, Bob. I think that if I get the keywords right, I should be able to find what you're looking for. It'll take a while, but hell, I have plenty of time.
Want me to take a shot at it?
Ed.
Superchick's One Girl Revolution or Tracy CHapman's Talkin' 'bout a Revolution? I can't think of (or find) anything else that's even close... Superchick is closer, tho :
[pre]
I wear a disguise
I'm just your average Jane
The super doesn't stand for model
But that doesn't mean i'm plain
If all you see is how I look
You miss the superchick within
And I christen you Titanic
Underestimate and swim
I've got the rifle
Gonna be myself
I'll be everything that I want to be
I am confidence in insecurity
I am a voice yet waiting to be heard
I'll shoot the shot, bang
That you hear 'round the world
I'm a one girl revolution
Some people see the revolution
But most only see the girl
I can loose my hard earned freedom
If my fear defies my world
I declare my independance from the critics and their stones
I can find my revolution
I can learn to stand alone
I'll be everything that I want to be
I am confidence in insecurity
I am a voice yet waiting to be heard
I'll shoot the shot, bang
That you hear 'round the world
I'm a one girl revolution
[/pre]-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Quote:
Superchick's One Girl Revolution or Tracy CHapman's Talkin' 'bout a Revolution?
Neither of those. It didn't have "revolution" in the title, I'm sure of that, as I only realized its applicability midway through the song. I can't even swear that it has the word "revolution" in it, although that's what I seem to remember now.
Damn, this is incredibly annoying.
Thanks, though.

-- Bob
---------
Ed Becerra wrote:
Quote:
I recently.. ahh.. acquired a high-powered piece of net-searching software, Bob. I think that if I get the keywords right, I should be able to find what you're looking for. It'll take a while, but hell, I have plenty of time.
Want me to take a shot at it?
Sure. See my post just above this one for some more info about what I remember, and let me wrack my brains here for even more...
Hm. The Broadway at the Beach "background music" was all fairly pop/MOR; by the original artists, too, it wasn't "elevator music" versions. I don't think it was a recent song, but maybe something from the 90s -- but I won't swear to that. Look for songs with "revolution" or "rose" somewhere in the middle of the lyrics, as a guess -- since it was only about halfway through the song that I realized its appropriateness. It's something I know well (like you can search on that!) but which I hadn't heard recently... which knocks a lot of more recent stuff out of the running.
Thanks and good luck...

-- Bob
---------

Kilroy

Bob;
Could the song have been "Kiss From A Rose", by Seal (from Batman Forever)?
Kilroy: Nope. I know that for a fact, since I have "Kiss From A Rose" on a custom CD in my car, and have been planning on using it for the Utena Step for weeks. In fact, I made it a song of the day not long before I left on the vacation. Thanks, though...

-- Bob
---------