Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Where NOT To Send Doug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
El-Hazard.
I think he's got enough powers as it is.
And so does Ifurita.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
He'd probably get the ability to summon music at will.
Sort of a psychic tape deck.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Oh I don't know. There was one fanfiction of El Hazard that posited that the wormholes that the Eye of God accessed had a kind of snetience to them and gave people abilities based on what they might need in El Hazard. Since Doug already has his own meta-ability, he wouldn't get anything new. Or if he got to El Hazard via his own gate song and NOT using the Eye of God, then he wouldn't be subject to that little quirk in the dimensional framework.
As for Ifurita, well, having Doug and her fight would be rather not the _point_. Unless you dropped him smack dab into the middle of the first story, there wouldn't be much need for conflict. Now this may be just me, but I think that Ifurita does have an upper limit to her power scale. Much like Doug does. I think if she got anything from Doug, powers wise, it wouldn't be any more powerful than what she's already able to do. It might make her more flexible, but lord knows she's all THAT and a bag of chips already!
If you DID have them fight for some reason --- Yeesh. She's one character I think would give him almost more of a fight than he could handle. I'd like to see his reaction the first time she duplicates one of his abilities. Like Black Hole Sun. YOW!!!
Hell, I'd like to know what his reaction to her would be, period. I mean, I can _imagine_ it, sure. But I'd love to see you actually _write_ that encounter!
I just think El Hazrd has loads of potential. Plus I'm a raving fanboy for Ifurita. I mean, what's not to like about an anime babe who eats Terminators for breakfast? ^_^
-Logan
Quote:
As for Ifurita, well, having Doug and her fight would be rather not the _point_.

Unless the story were "The Quick and Crispy Death of Looney Toons".
Quote:
Unless you dropped him smack dab into the middle of the first story, there wouldn't be much need for conflict. Now this may be just me, but I think that Ifurita does have an upper limit to her power scale. Much like Doug does. I think if she got anything from Doug, powers wise, it wouldn't be any more powerful than what she's already able to do. It might make her more flexible, but lord knows she's all THAT and a bag of chips already!
Allow me to point out that 'Frita's upper limit is way, way, WAY past Doug's. Doug can't nuke cities. (With his powers, I mean. With the right equipment... )
Quote:
If you DID have them fight for some reason --- Yeesh. She's one character I think would give him
almost more of a fight than he could handle.

Almost?1 Dear gods, man, she'd toast him if she thought he was a real threat. The only reason the priestesses of Muldoon are still alive is that they couldn't actually hurt her. Doug might be able to hurt her, at which point he becomes a greasy spot on the marble.
Silverbolt might stand up to her. Hexe certainly, although she might have to go "final strike" on 'Frita. (Hexe has an "oh, if my mortal vessel is about to die, anyway" retributive strike power. Like the infamous Daffy Duck vaudeville routine, it's a great act, but she can only do it once...)
Quote:
I'd like to see his reaction the first time she duplicates one of his abilities. Like Black Hole Sun. YOW!!!
Yow is right. But there have been a few copycats in Warriors World. Just not on 'Frita's level.
Quote:
Hell, I'd like to know what his reaction to her would be, period. I mean, I can _imagine_ it, sure. But I'd
love to see you actually _write_ that encounter!
Barry Cadwgan and I have discussed this -- merging his fic "Happily Ever After" just slightly with DW5; since HEA is a crossover between A!MG and El-Hazard, that means there's a possibility that Ifurita and Makoto might show up in DW5.
(For those of you who don't know HEA, you can find what's done of it -- it's incomplete -- here: www.users.fl.net.au/~bcadwgan/Anime.htm )
Anyway, his reaction would probably be on the order of "cool!" Unless she were attacking him, in which case it would be "oh shit!"

-- Bob
---------
>Unless the story were "The Quick and Crispy Death of
>Looney Toons".
The effect, I think, would be somewhat like tossing a gerbil in a blender and pressing 'Liquefy'.
>Doug can't nuke cities. (With his powers, I mean. With the right equipment... )
Rush - Manhattan Project
Hmmm. Where'd I leave that... *goes hunting* Ah. Dangit, that's on my old computer.
Feh. Okay, call each of those shots five ktons... say she burned through a bit less than half her reserves doing it... That gives Ifurita a lowend ballpark figure of 4.18x10^14 joules worth of energy on target, if she doesn't leave any reserve.
And she can probably -take- that kind of punishment.
I'd feel rather sorry for the Warriors if they ran into her.
Re: Hexe and Silverbolt... I don't know much about them. However, observe that 'stand up to' can fall anywhere between 'survive the encounter' and 'force a draw'. I'd honestly expect such an incident to fall much closer to the former case.
Blessed be.
-n
(And there are people arguing that Iczer could -take- her? Feh.)
===========

> Almost?! Dear gods, man, she'd toast him if she
> thought he was a real threat. The only reason the
> priestesses of Muldoon are still alive is that they
> couldn't actually hurt her. Doug might be able to hurt
> her, at which point he becomes a greasy spot on the
> marble.
I'd say so. Not only is she on par with a low-grade DBZ in terms of power but she's got the 'age and cunning' side of the equation (relatively unusal for Doug to deal with).
If Ifurita had been the bad girl in El Hazard, she'd have won hands down.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
> If Ifurita had been the bad girl in El Hazard, she'd have
> won hands down.

For the first half of the series, she _was_ the bad girl. Good thing she didn't really want to be one.
-Logan
She didn't turn up (except for at the very beginning) UNTlL halfway through, so how could she be the bad girl for the first half of the series? ;-)
I yield to your arguement for after that, although it was Jinnai who was calling the shots, not Ifurita. I suppose I meant Ifurita being in charge of the 'bad guys', although I didn't say that.
D for Drakensis

Right, right. Of course. What I think I meant is that for a little more than half the time we actually see her she's a "bad girl".
For an absolutely stunning fanfic that continues the story after the OAV series, check out El Hazard - Earth, by Ken Wolfe. It's a six part series that absolutely blows everything else out of the water as far as I'm concerned. WARNING! This story will spoil you on any El Hazard story other than the first OAV series, because THIS is the story that _should_ have been told! Everything else that Pioneer did with the El-Hazard story after the first OAV series pales in comparison to this.
-Logan
Oh, yes... I read that a few months ago. That is a great fic.
Consider it highly recommended!

-- Bob
---------

Piccolo181

The Wheel of Time series... Its a guilty pleasure, I dont *mean* to keep reading them but I just cant stop myself.
Anyway the WOT universe is pretty much any superhero's nightmare. The good guys are all at least partially insane, some of which are working for a Malevolent Multi-dimesional entity.
The good girls would try to take away his talent away or at best "bond" him. Can anyone imagine Doug living with a psychic leash? I can easily see an Aes sedai confiscating Dougs Helmet as a Ter'angreal.
Even if he managed to deal with the Asha'man and Aes-sedai he'd still have to deal with the Seanchan. People who viewed meta's as sub-human slaves that were used as weapons. The entire trip would turn dark with amazing speed.
The aonly amusing thing I can think of would be the Tinkers reaction to finding somone with "The Song" who belonged to a group called the Warriors and commonly used violence to solve his problems.
Add to that the fact that I finally got completely tired of Jordan about a year or two ago (I like his books and his style, I just wish he'd get somewhere), and I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Doug won't ever end up there.

-- Bob
(Who actually understands how hard it is to write small, but really, guy...)
---------

Piccolo181

Amen to that. In my case it,s even worse since I've been reading the Swedish trantlation and for some reason I don't understand they split each book in two, that means by the dammed thing would fill a bookcase by it self by tha time Jordans finished. One second thought it's probably to make more money, two 400 page books are more expensive then one 800 pager.
The world of just about any Monty Python skit, or the world of Dragonball.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
I'd think he'd adapt nicely to any given Monty Python world, actually. But he'd end up a grease spot in Dragonball...
(Dragonball and Ifurita -- perfect together. Hmm. Has anyone done that fic yet?)

-- Bob
---------
Yes, someone's done that. Hmm... add Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya to the list of where *NOT* to send Doug. Actually, Saint Seiya is kinda iffy; he might actually be able to survive there, even if he'd be running like crazy from the main characters.
I don't know if it's a good idea or a bad idea, but you could always send him to the world of InuYasha...
Offsides (who's been enjoying it since first seeing it at AXNY)Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
I'd need more exposure to Inu-Yasha before making a decision on that. It certainly would be fun, though...

-- Bob
---------
Yup - that's why I don't know if it would be good or bad...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

Kaze no Ryuu

He'd be a grease spot in DBZ certainly, but in the old Dragonball stuff from when Goku was a kid he'd be fine.
(DISCLAIMER: The Internet is a medium for the exchange of ideas. Thoughts and concepts are shared there. It is possible that people who use it may begin thinking about things they never did before. If this idea disgusts, frightens, or revolts you, please refrain from using the Internet in any way, shape, or form.)
I think I've stumbled over maybe 5 minutes of one of the Dragonballs while channel surfing, and that's the extent of my exposure. I wouldn't know Dragonball from Dragonball Z from Dragonball Aleph-naught...
-- Bob
---------
Okay, to give you some idea of the reason why sending Doug to Dragonball would be a *BAD* idea...
During the early part of Dragonball Z, we see the 'power level' system. An average human has a power level just under 1, or is strong enough to bench press about 80-100 pounds. Kami-sama's power level is somewhere around 700-800 (he's a character in the show). Now, in the first episode of the original Dragonball, Goku gets repeatedly shot by a machine gun. His response is that it 'stings'. His power level at the time is about 5. By the beginning of DBZ, it's around 320. Later in the series, Vegita, with a power level of around 18,000 shoots a blast capable of destroying a planet. By the end of the Furiiza saga, Goku's power level is over a million. By the end of the Cell saga, it's at least 16 to 32 times that. By the end of the Buu saga, it's at least 16 to 32 times *THAT*. On top of that, Gohan's power level is at least twice Goku's, again, at the time.
There's a better reason not to send Doug to DB(Z) - the story would have to be completely rewritten just to give Doug a reason to be there, and that's just not worth it. There are better stories to be written [Image: smile.gif]
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
For the record, the Dragonball Z RPG is a Fuzion game. Using that as a reference, destroyed a planet the size of Earth requires a power level of 800-3200 depending one how big the debris should be.
In Dragonball, the moon gets blown up - because it's a momentary inconvenience. It's done offhand, in the middle of a martial arts tournament.
It would be fun, and Doug's got a lot more flexibility than most of the characters, but the power levels even in Dragonball are a bit intense - heck, they'd be overwhelming for Superman!
D for Drakensis

>It would be fun, and Doug's got a lot more flexibility than
>most of the characters, but the power levels even in
>Dragonball are a bit intense - heck, they'd be overwhelming
>for Superman!
There's also the fact that it's a lame show. Not to be forgetting -that-.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

Pages: 1 2