Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Speaking of places to send Doug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How about the world in Read or Die? I think he'd feel right at home in that universe!
-Logan
Mephron has sent me digisubs of RoD, solely for the purpose of getting me to put a Step in that world. However, I have yet to fully watch the show. I've only seen the first 10 minutes or so of episode one, but from that alone I think you're quite right. Doug will look around and say, "It ain't home, but it's real close."

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Hmm... Didn't I send you some cpies of that? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Yeah, it's close enough that you might justify it as one of the final steps in his walk, since it's so very close to his own universe.
-Logan
Maybe I'm misremembering -- unfortunately the disks are no longer with their packaging, so I can't check the return address. But if you're likely to have used a purple disk mailer, then it was you and not Mephron... In that case, my apologies for getting confused.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
But if you're likely to have used a purple disk mailer, then it was you and not Mephron...
Oh yeah! Those plastic mailers with the bubblewrap inside. I did send you the ROD stuff, including the soundtrack, in a purple one.
Quote:
In that case, my apologies for getting confused.
Tchaaa... (waves hand dismissively) Don't worry about it, I was just curious is all.
But yeah, thinking about ROD, I wonder what would make a good story in terms of where to plunk Doug down in the timeline? Doe's he arrive in the middle of the OAV story and modify that? Fun to try, but not really necessary.
Maybe more interesting would be to have Doug appear at the end of the final episode at or near that mental hospital where... urk... waitaminute... you said you haven't watched the whole thing? Better go ahead and watch it and then let me know so I can continue the idea I had. I don't want to spoil the series for you. ^_^
-Logan
Thanks for not spoiling... I've been meaning to watch it every night this week, but between the book and finally watching "Cowboy Bebop" with Peggy, I haven't managed it yet. Soon, I hope.
BTW, even though I haven't even watched the whole first ep, I've been evangelizing it solely on the grounds of the giant insect battle scene at the beginning of ep 1 -- I've been showing it to the other folks in Warriors and saying "You've got to see this!"

-- Bob
---------
I will simply say this. It gets better.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
I don't doubt it.
Oh, and I figured out why I got confused as to who sent me ROD. It was Mephron who sent me the full run of Invader Zim.
(And before anyone asks, no. Not on your life. Quite honestly, parts of that show creep me out and I most expressly do not want to have to wrap my head around it enough to be able to write a Step there.)

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
(And before anyone asks, no. Not on your life. Quite honestly, parts of that show creep me out and I most expressly do not want to have to wrap my head around it enough to be able to write a Step there.)

Completely understandable. Having read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, part of Squee, and watched several episodes of Zim, I think I can say that the inside of Jhonen Vasquez's head is a very scary place where Doug's type of humor would not be taken well. Dark stuff, even in its lighter moments.
Ebony the Black Dragon
aka Draco Draconis Ebenium
known to Kitchen Sink Press as Aaron F. Johnson
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:
I think I can say that the inside of Jhonen Vasquez's head is a very scary place where Doug's type of humor would not be taken well. Dark stuff, even in its lighter moments.
You ain't kiddin'. I got about four episodes in, got horribly creeped by the end of the "best friend" episode about six weeks ago, and have been trying to work up the courage to go back to the series since. Yeesh.

-- Bob
---------
Have you had the chance to view the rest of the ROD OAVs, Bob?
-Logan
Not yet. The Book From Hell is in its last few days of playtesting, and between a nasty virus I had about two weeks ago and a lot of "homework" Peg brought home from her job, I'm very behind on reading and responding to commentary. I have to draft a couple new passages today or tonight some time so I can post them for comment before playtest ends.
-- Bob
---------

trboturtle

Bob
Ever think of having a step based around the pulp heros of the 30's and 40's? Doc Savage, the Shadow, the Spider and others migh make an intresting story....
Craog
I hadn't given it a thought, actually. I'm not that up on the pulp heroes -- I was big into Doc Savage when I was in high school, but we're talking the end of the 1970s there -- two decades and more since my last real exposure. (I don't count the rather twisted Philip Jose Farmer books that I found later...) I don't know that I have the time to invest in familiarizing/refamiliarizing myself with the genre and figures.
Plus, Warriors' World had its own 1930s-40s "masked men of mystery" phase (going by my timeline, at least). It wouldn't be different enough for Doug to even remark on it...

-- Bob
---------
Maybe I should have made a new thread, but... How about the world of the
Vampire Princess Miyu OAVs?
All discussion about power levels aside, which would hinge on just what kind
of critter the shinma really are, that world would pose some interesting problems
to Doug.
Here we have a vampire preying on humans, drinking their blood and leaving them
autistic, but at the same time she is the sole defender of mankind against greater
evils, and it can be argued that she doesn't harm anyone, just makes them happy.
Not to mention that Miyu's position as shinma hunter is a direct appointment (or
curse) from the local gods, who wouldn't take kindly to Doug "removing" her, which
should be his first instinct.
Besides, one thing Miyu really needs is to lighten up, and who better than the Loon
to do the job? [Image: smile.gif]
NN
It's been many a year since I saw any VPM; I'd have to go beg tapes off of Helen, if she's even got them still.
BTW, for those interested in such a thing, in 1999 Ken Wolfe wrote "Heaven Can Wait", a very nice VPM crossover with "Brimstone", that short-lived WB (?) series about the dead cop set by the devil the mission of recoving a bunch of evil souls who had escaped Hell. Worth a look if you can find it.

-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

How about sending him to the world of Recluce? It seems to be attract people from different universes.

Murmur the Fallen

Or even Christopher Stasheff's "Wizard in Rhyme" world. They practice a form of song magic there, too, though it's more like really bad doggerel magic . . .
Or would that be too cutesy?
(oh, don't know if the series ended or not, haven't read it beyond the fourth book, though I hear that more were written)
I've never heard of Recluce, I don't think. Tell me more, please?
And I haven't read any Stasheff in many years -- not since the "Warlock" series started going down hill. I'll keep an eye out for "Wizard in Rhyme" books. Thanks.

-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

I'll probably not do the series just but . . .
There's this world, see, and it's populated by humans . . . oh, and animals and bugs and what not. But no elves and fairies and all that.
Its magic is very much based on black Order and white Chaos, as is its history. Far back in the history of the world, there came the White Demons, humans from another universe, possibly, who found that they could control chaos magic (destructive forces) and built a White Empire. Then came the Black Angels hundreds, possibly thousands of years later, a single small warship who were fighting the White Demons in a war in space in their mutual origin universe. They "introduced" (or possibly reintroduced, it's a bit vague here) order magic (forces conducive to stasis). The White Empire fell to the Black Angels, and the home that the Black Angels built fell hundreds of years after that to Chaos Magic city-state, but not before a rogue from the blacks built a new sanctuary for those that followed order on the island of Recluce. And history continued, with order against chaos, and chaos against order.
Two books max for each protagonist, then Modesitt, the author, moves onto a new protagonist and a new period in the history of his world.
Some of the plots for the books are quite similar, and the protagonists themselves are quite alike. But the narratives, world building, relationships and moral dilemmas presented are fantastic. It's a great series.
You really must look into the Starship Troupers books (No, that really -isn't- a typo). Theatre, -wonderful- characters, occaisional sidesplitters and some of the most -wonderful- literary political and social heckling it's ever been my pleasure to witness.
Alas, they didn't make money, so he stopped after only three of them, but those are lots of fun - A Company of Stars, We Open on Venus, A Slight Detour, savaging would-be censors(/the Republican Party), unrestricted business (which looks like an old West Virginia coal town for a -reason-), and theocracies (mostly based on the Pilgrims and such, but oh well) respectively.
Blessed be.
-n
("Do you mind?! We're having an argument here!"
("Do you have enough mind for an argument here?"
("Of course!"
("Then have another drink...")
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Actually, I forgot about the Troupers books -- I have at least two of them.

-- Bob
---------

This Shit is really Creepy...