Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Best way to Kindle-ise the Walk?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

K sai

I'd like to read the DW series on my Kindle:
  1. Bob, any objections?
  2. If not, what would be the best/easiest way to go about doing this?

Any and all suggestions entertained as long as Bob is ok with it.

K
Can the Kindle handle PDFs?

(I know that my Playbook uses Kobo, not Kindle... but it also has Acrobat Reader.)

If "yes," then give me a week...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Best way? Use Calibre to convert an HTML file containing all the chapters and a TOC. That's what I did.

Yes, I have a .Mobi version of DW2 on my Kindle. I reread the entire thing last August in an attempt to jumpstart my muse, and all I ended up doing was fixing typos and continuity errors on the website version. Which means, don't ask me for the .mobi file I have now. Ask for the one I'll eventually make with the existing web pages (which are the corrected, definitive version of DW2).
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

K sai

hmmm - Bob, I take it you mean download each chapter, create a TOC for them then caliberise?
Well, you can do it either way -- either a separate files, or put them all together in a single file with a TOC at the top. I've had more luck (doing it by hand at least) with the latter method.
-- Bob
---------
I was kind of disappointed to find that I couldn't just save the html files and put them on my tablet to read that way. Something in the menu code or the CSS or something ends up making them look horrible. (And it even looked bad in a different way when I looked at the live pages in a third browser...)

-Morgan.
robkelk Wrote:Can the Kindle handle PDFs?

(I know that my Playbook uses Kobo, not Kindle... but it also has Acrobat Reader.)

If "yes," then give me a week...
... or a bit more than a week. I'm only up to Chapter 6 of DW V, and I haven't touched DW II yet.

(Yes, Bob, I know I gave you a PDF of DW II a few years ago. This one's in a somewhat different format, better for reading on tablets than as a printout.)
--
Rob Kelk

Yes, Kindles can handle PDFs. The kind where each page is just a scanned image are almost useless, though. At least in my experience and opinion.
-- Bob
---------
Yeah, the scale is pretty difficult to work with, I've found. That said, text files come across semi-decently. I've been able to copy over UF files and read them without too much difficulty. Maybe a cut and paste to a text document with a few edits?
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Yes, Kindles can handle PDFs. The kind where each page is just a scanned image are almost useless, though. At least in my experience and opinion.
Good thing I'm not doing that style, then...

Everything but the Concordance is formatted. That's the first 90% of the job that took the first 90% of the time; the Concordance is the last 10% of the job that will take the other 90% of the time.

(The particular HTML that Bob used doesn't convert well automatically, so I'll have to do a lot of manual layout in this 40-page section...)
--
Rob Kelk

I suppose I really ought to do it the "right" way and define a CSS tag/class for Concordance entries, but hey, it's worked fine for 14 years as it is...
-- Bob
---------
Meh. There are still a couple of automation tricks that I haven't tried yet.
--
Rob Kelk