Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Fic-bunny inspired by misspelled shopping list.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today, my father gave me a shopping list, on which he misspelled "raisin bran" as "Riase Brand."
This set me to thinking of the sort of world where such a thing would be said:
Slayers-like fantasy setting, anyone?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Sirrocco

Raise Brand? A weapon branded with the power to raise the dead?
Other than that, you're going to have to have 'Riase' be either an Ancient Word Of Power that means something arbitrary, or the name of some Being Of Power who is associated with something arbitrary.
Perhaps the world could have both a Riase Brand and a Raise Brand, with effects that are either subtly but humorously different, or majorly and humorously different, and then run the funny off of people getting the two confused.
ya mean like the difference between the Claire Bible and Claire Bibble, Seiruun's pro tennis champion?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Sounds like the plot of an Amber sequel, to me.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Sirrocco

Indeed - or like the difference between Excaliber (the famous sword) and Excaliper (the famous toenail clippers) in the various Final Fantasies.

Necratoid

I think that is Excalipor the sword that hits all targets for 1 damage reguardless of defenses... like Flare Carrot, without the one second pause for confusion on how they got hit through their defenses.

Sirrocco

We refer to the same thing. I have always seen it spelled Excaliper... and the whole "1 damage regardless" thing? well, they're *toenail clippers*.
(and, checking Google, it looks like I was right on teh spelling - but, then, I misspelled Exbalibur, so I suppose it evens out.)[Image: eyes.gif] [Image: eyes.gif]