Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Looking for Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone here familiar enough with British English to help me check over a few short omake (both, combined, are presently less than ten KB) to make sure I got the British characters' dialogue correct?
Or, to put it another way, I need a brit-picker for a pair of very short omake. Any volunteers?-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
'xcuse me if I nitpick, but...
The term "British English" encompasses all varieties of English used within the UK, including those in England itself, but also Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales.
Since you're asking for someone to check dialogue, regional variations are gonna become...very important.
I'm assuming you mean England in particular, but even then that's tricky, because there's considerable variation within England itself. TV and radio presenters speak in Received Pronunciation, which I understand is derived from south-eastern England. But that's entirely different from the West Country accent, or the various accents in the Midlands, and so on...
Thus you'd probably need to be a bit more specific.
(I'm not from the UK, but I'm living in London. And believe me, you get very conscious of this very fast)
-- Acyl
I am English and things can be complicated. Firstly, there is more variation in the pronouciation of English within England than there is in the US. Secondly, if you try to write it phonetically so you get the accents right, it's going to look incredibly stilted and affected to anyone who is English and reads the accents automatically.
I can help you with voccabulary, but I speak very recieved pronounciation English and read a lot of american books, so I won't be much help with regional or rural accents.
So far, the only British characters who have actually SPOKEN are Vernon and Petunia Dursley -- and they're from Surrey.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
The word is spelt "British", FYI.
-- Acyl
Thanks. Corrected... although I stand in good company in making that spelling error.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
Well I'm English, born and raised in Dorset as I am, so I suppose if you'd like my opinion I'd be happy to help. Although admittedly my vocabulary has been somewhat tainted since they started showing South Park here when I was Eleven...
Heh. Should I e-mail the omake to you or would you prefer that I post them here?
Or I could just send you them as a message to your ezboard inbox. Your choice.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.