Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Indispensible Colaboration Tool! ^_^
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have found the ultimate tool for online collaboration. It is not a chat client or instant messenger (though these can help). It is not Google Docs or any online service.
It is a beautifully simple tool called CoOffice Tools and it turns your Microsoft Word and PowerPoint softwares into real-time online collaborative tools.
Sit there and watch in amazement as your friend on the internet fixes typoes for you in Word in real-time. Take joy in having an "OH OH OH! How about this!" moment as you suddenly jump in and write in a plot twist.
The only way it can get better would be if your writing partner was right in the room with you.
Here is their website: cooffice.ntu.edu.sg/coword/index.html
SET
CoOffice Tools is a small download, quick to install, and easy to setup. It will work with all versions of Word and PowerPoint (I don't know about 2007 versions, though).
First of all, you're going to need a server to connect to. This is actually not as hard as it sounds. Sure, there is the provided public server, but you don't really want that. You want a secure location to save your stuff.
Luckily, the folks that made CoOffice also made an equally simplistic Server program that lets whatever computer you install it on into the host for the 'Repository' that will hold your files.
Here's the one oddity: in order to work on the same files, two people have to use the same account/login. In that respect, it's kinda like file-sharing in a Windows environment - you need to have so-and-so's username and password to access his files.
Other than that, setting up the accounts is simplicity in itself. Just set the name, password, the rights the account has (which is kind of a moot point I think) and the folder on your machine you'll be working out of.
NOTE: Don't change the name of the folder or else you'll ahve to set the accounts up all over again. Granted, it's an easy enough fix if you only have one or two, but what a bother!
Once you set everything up, all your friends on your LAN or in Internet Land need is CoOffice Tools (They won't need the Server if you're the one hosting the party) your IP address, the account name and password.
CoOffice tools is loaded with useful features like a radar to help you track down where your co-author is in the document, highlights to show who made what changes, and other nifty toys.
I can guarantee that you'll love this wonderful piece of software. I already do and it is proving to be just the thing to help me realize my goal of being part of my own team of writers. ^_^
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"But first, let's test it on the penguin."
"Meep?" O.o